With Opening Day a mere 69 days away, I figured I'd start a thread for all the baseball fans to discuss any events in the world of baseball.

Some sites for baseball related info:

Major League Baseball Official Site

ESPN Baseball page

Fire Joe Morgan: A funny site that attacks bad sports writing and broadcasting.

Baseball Prospectus: Statistical info

Baseball Reference

So, to get this started:

Who are your favorite teams/players etc.?

Do you think the Red Sox overpaid for Matsuzaka? How do you think he will perform next season?

Who's the best/worst offseason acquisition?
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

HAHAHAHAHAHA 69!!! go boston
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Dodgers, baby!

My friend is a HUGE Red Sox fan, always wears that tilted, flat-rimmed Boston cap, good way to represent your team btw , and he keeps on bragging about Matsuzaka and how he is going to kick ass this season. Kinda getting on my nerves, but I think he will have a good season.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by Soul Power
Dodgers, baby!

My friend is a HUGE Red Sox fan, always wears that tilted, flat-rimmed Boston cap, good way to represent your team btw , and he keeps on bragging about Matsuzaka and how he is going to kick ass this season. Kinda getting on my nerves, but I think he will have a good season.

you have smart friends! im a huge sox fan, but i dont hate anyone except the yankees
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Quote by BottleOfSmoke
you have smart friends! im a huge sox fan, but i dont hate anyone except the yankees

Then I love you no matter what. Some annoying kid that sits in front of me in class wears one of those NYY t-shirts that say, "You Do The Math," then it shows all of their World Series trophies.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
omg
i especially hate that shirt that says "welcome to new york johnny"
i have a shirt that on one side it says "Yankees Suck" and you can flip it out to say SOX, (as in white) and the top of the u is missing... hahaha

i'm a tigers fan, as i have been for 6 years
you can imagine the number of fair weather fans around here.. ugh
i had a teacher this year who claimed he's watched baseball since he was a kid, ask me what an ERA was, and what was a good number to be at AGHHH
rock and fucking roll
Good to see some hate for the Yankees here!

I forgot so say that I am a huge A's fan, and that Billy Beane is easily better than the rest of the GMs combined.
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Go Tigers! Don't mind Kenny Rogers, there's NOTHING on his hand. You are just imagining things *applies Jedi Mind trick*
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
LA Angels > you.

And the Yankees can suck it. I hate them and the Red Sox both. And the Twins . . . but I don't know why I hate the Twins. I just do.

And I'm very fortunate here in Omaha, where we have the farm team of the WORST team in baseball. The Omaha Royals are also the worst team in the PCL, so it doesn't look like the KC Royals will be getting good anytime soon.
Oh my, do the Seattle Mariners suck. Let me run the team, I'd do a better job.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Im a die hard Jays fan, and after getting th Big Hurt in the offseason i expect good things from them this year.

Playoffs? I think so.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
the reason you guys hate the Yankees is because you're jealous of their success, even though you'll never admit it. If the Yankees came in last place every year and never won anything, you wouldn't hate them as much.
Sox paid a lot just to talk to Matsuzaka, but in all we still paid less than we would have for, say, Zito. And Matsuzaka is younger and has the potential to be better. He won't be amazing, because he is in the Majors for the first time, but he'll be quite good. With him, Schill, Becket, and Papelbon, the sox are going to have some really stellar pitching.
They added Lugo at short, so they now have a real leadoff man, and they still have Manny and Ortiz in the 3-4. They're going to be sick this year. Best lineup in the majors, I'll leave it at that.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
LA Angels > you.

dude yeah, angels rule
2nd favorite team
at a tigers game the big daddy hit a 2 run homer and took the lead
i was the only one clappin
after the game jose molina and howie kendrick were playing catch, so i ran down with all my angels stuff on and congratulated them on their victory and they threw me a ball

anywaysss
i think that the jays might actually be a contender for the al east
i also think that the al central will pull the wild card off again next year (lets just hope it isn't the white sox *shutter*)
so if you hate the yanks, all year root for the jays and the red sox
NO YANKEES IN OCTOBER
rock and fucking roll
Quote by Gutch220
the reason you guys hate the Yankees is because you're jealous of their success, even though you'll never admit it. If the Yankees came in last place every year and never won anything, you wouldn't hate them as much.

Well duh! I also hate them because of most of their fans.

© Soul Power
Quote by Gutch220

It's not that they've been winning, it's the fact that their legions of bandwagoning, asshole fans won't shut up about it.

Quote by iforgot539
Sox paid a lot just to talk to Matsuzaka, but in all we still paid less than we would have for, say, Zito. And Matsuzaka is younger and has the potential to be better. He won't be amazing, because he is in the Majors for the first time, but he'll be quite good. With him, Schill, Becket, and Papelbon, the sox are going to have some really stellar pitching.
They added Lugo at short, so they now have a real leadoff man, and they still have Manny and Ortiz in the 3-4. They're going to be sick this year. Best lineup in the majors, I'll leave it at that.

Matsuzaka's projected stats:

__________________ERA IP BB K
Baseball Forecaster 3.46 185 51 196
Baseball Prospectus 4.01 182 51 162
Baseball Primer (ZiPS) 3.44 186 34 131

Stats in last year in Japan compared to Hideo Nomo:
__________IP ERA BB/9 K/9
Nomo _____574 3.63 5.5 9.9
Matsuzaka 545 2.41 2.1 9.1

I think that if he pitches any where near these projections he'll be worth it, especially since he will most likely improve.

Good article about Matsuzaka here.

Plus, compared to Barry Zito, the king of hanging changeups right over the plate, he's an absolute steal.

This thread is dying! Aren't there any more baseball fans?

67 days until opening day.....

We should talk about college baseball, high school teams you're on, MLB players from your hometown, ect.

© Soul Power
^Shit, the 9 awesome, nay, AWESOME rookies the Braves had/have are from the Atlanta area (I'm like an hour away, not far). Seriously, the GREATS, like Kyle Davies (I swear, I don't care what teams he goes to, he will be on of my favorite pitchers ever. Amazing player), Kelly Johnson, Jeff Francouer (, though he kinda fell into a slump late in the season....), they're all from ATL.

And the Braves let Adam LaRoche go!!!!!

WHY?!?!?!?!?!
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Jan 23, 2007,
Go Boston.
Die New York. (Not the Mets...you're the enemy of my enemy, so you're cool.)
I hope Matsuzaka turns out okay...I'm worried just because we're the Sox and bad stuff happens to us. But I'm cautiously hopeful. The Yanks haven't added a whole lot, and they were having trouble for a lot of last season, so there's something...maybe...

In the NL, my team is the Cardinals. Who could root against Albert Pujols? I love my Red Sox, but Pujols is the single most exciting player in the game. If he keeps it up, he could pass Ted Williams as the greatest hitter ever. And he's a nice guy, which makes him that much better to watch (hint hint, Barry).

Has anyone heard the rumour that George Steinbrenner (coughdevilcough) wants to demolish Yankee Stadium because it doesn't have enough luxury boxes? If that's true, it is appalling. Yankee Stadium, even though it's the home of the enemy, is a baseball SHRINE. Steinbrenner should be stoned in the streets if he tries to destroy Yankee Stadium.

Any thoughs?
Can't stop the signal.
Quote by search49

In the NL, my team is the Cardinals. Who could root against Albert Pujols?

Hmmm......Maybe a TIGERS FAN!?!?!?!?!

And that World series teh suct. I think it was a conspiracy. And Kenny Rogers is my Hero . Lets see what I can sell to get season tickets (Mr. Guitar?)
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
so yeah jays sign tomo ohka for a good price, a rotation of

Halladay
Burnett
Chacin
Ohka
Thomson

it isnt the best in the league but its pretty good (especially Halladay Burnett 1 & 2) and our offence should be able to bail out our 3 4 5 guys most nights even if they give up 4 or 5 runs. also our ben is pretty solid again not the best but good
GO TIGERS! AND YANKEES!

I'm a big baseball fan. I'm a Tigers fan because they're in my state, and a Yanks fan because certain members of my family have played there. (and they may or may not have played with Mickey Mantle... i'm not telling)

How bout the Tigers getting Sheffield?
METALLICA.
I'm a chicage sports fan. Sadly, a Cubs fan. I loathe the White Sox, but hey, at least I didn't jump on that bandwagon. That's worse than the Patriots in the NFL.

Oh, God, if your out there, make it our year.

Go, Cubbies.
Nikolas
i dont know why all the red sox fans hate the yankees so much anymore. it was fun when the red sox didnt over pay their players but now they are one in the same with the yankees. wasnt the complaint with the yankees that they bought their titles and over paid their players? the sox have something like the 2nd highest payroll and this offseason alone bought matsuzaka, brenden donnely, julio lugo and jd drew. sox fans are nothing but hypocrites now
Fuck that shit.

I hate the Yankees because they're the Yankees and they're from New York. It's in our blood, we don't need no ****ing justification. But I'll give you one anyway. Their payroll is still much higher than ours, and they have that policy of aggressively aquiring old stars to play for them. And then there's those legions of mother****ing bandwagon yankee-loving mother****ers.

But really, we don't hate the yankees because they have a payroll. we hate them because that's the way the world was meant to be.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Bumped!

Spring training has begun. Who else is getting excited?

And do any of you think Sammy Sosa will be able to play in the Majors again and be able to contribute?

Matsuzaka will blow out his arm within the first two months of the season... it's going to happen.

Favorite team is the Jays obviously, but mostly because I just despise the Yanks and Sox. Some nice signings this offseason with Thomas, but a top 4 starter would've been nice just to fill out the rotation.
Quote by wilty00
Favorite team is the Jays obviously, but mostly because I just despise the Yanks and Sox. Some nice signings this offseason with Thomas, but a top 4 starter would've been nice just to fill out the rotation.

Thomas stealing bastards.......

Quote by Ballsack5000
Go Braves.

And I'm getting a little pumped about Spring Training and all, I need to catch the baseball bug again, I got so into football last year, that the bug's lost it's edge.

But I'm trying to get back in. SportsCenter hasn't had much baseball news lately except the usual Bonds record shit and such.

On that note, I HATE how Bonds is going to beat the record....not because Hank Aaron was mostly a Braves player, but because I just don't like Barry Bonds enough.

Sure, he has amazing talent, he is a legend, and he has some undeniable skill (and I don't care whether he used steroids or not), but there's just something about him.... he seems too prima donna, he's really conceited sometimes. I just don't feel like he should hold the record.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by search49
Go Boston.
my team is the Cardinals. Who could root against Albert Pujols?
Any thoughs?

pujols is crap along with your crappy cardinals.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.