Page 1 of 2
Hello, if you are new to guitar and wish to start posting I suggest you read and follow some of the advice in this thread and take some of the knowledge

===Who?===
1. Yngwie Malmsteen
OHH yes considering 70% of online guitar comunity are shredders or wanna be shredders I thought I would mention the man who introduced it to a wide audience

2. Jason Becker
Prior to being diagnosed with ALS was a guitar prodigy his great musical ability is now confined with in his mind

3. Kirk Hammet (metallica)
Im sure many of you know who this is, nothing yells new guitarist like idolising Kirk. Nutoriously known for sloppy technique and over use of wah.

4. Steve Vai
Enough said? (google him if you dont know)

5. John Petruci
Guitarist of prog metal band Dream theatre loved by many

6. Paul Gilbert
Guitarist of band Racer-X great instruction videos

7. Dimebag Darrell (RIP Died in shooting while playing for his new band damageplan)
Much loved guitarist of Pantera any flamming of Dime on an online guitar forum will result in alot of harsh feedback

8. Randy Rhodes (RIP Died in a PLANE crash)
Fromer guitars for Quiet Riot and former guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne till his death then replaced by Zakk wylde.

The above guitarist are\where all metal or Neo-Classical guitarist They are in no order just guitarist you should know of and know why you know of them.

===Threads not to make===

1. "WHO IS THE BEST\FASTEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD"
These threads are horrible if you decide reply a thread like this please do in the Following manner
"There is no best guitarist in the world its a matter of opinion"
"F$%KING STOP MAKING THESE POSTS YOU LITTLE S*&T HEAD"
Are both acceptable ansewers
Do not reply like thus
"Me i can play metallica's Nothing else matters"
"Kirk Hammet is teh god"
"my guitar teacher"
" the guitarist from (insert some Nu metal\Metalcore\emo\band )"
"(insert Super-Shredder who is barely known) is the best ever"
The truth is basicaly any ansewer is wrong

2. How good am I?
"I have been playing XXmonths and i can play almost every Shawn Lane solo every Rusty Cooley likc and riff at double time is this where i should be"
Believe it or not these threads excist, guitarist have touble believing anything so when something that is so obviously BullS%#T comes up they definatly wont beleive you, whats the point in lieing?
How to respond
Just dont its a waste of time dont even bother of informing the thread master he is full of S%&t

===Gear===
1. If you are giving adviceon gear know your gear.
Examples of complete idiots
"My gitar pwns all every1 should do what i have done i have a EMG 81 in the bridge and a SD jazz in the neck its sweet"
We all know if you put a passive and active pick up in your guitar you will get an unholy buzz dont try to post this unless your going to give a detailed explination why yuor guitar is an exception.

2. Know who use's what
Dont post stuff like
"The Zakk wylde Signature guitar is great its realy good for hammer on's and pull of's which it would have to be since randy rhodes used it"
That example was actuly a quote from a online music store's customer feedback which will remain namless

3. Dont lie
"Omg my 1960 gibson standard is in the shop getting Emg81's in it so atm im stuck with my fender with serial code #12 I also have my EVH signature guitar in the shop"
These posts also excist, we're guitarists not drummers my friend

4. Reviews
Dont write a review unless you know what you are doing and talking about
"My bc rich warlock is probaly the best guitar known to man it has the best tone and its VERY GOOD for clean sound and my samick amp makes it sound so good i think i should put some emg's in it to make it better"
Enough said?

5. Dont sheep
Just say a thread titled
"what guitar should i buy"
Just because some one says RG1570 and put Dimarzio breed's in it doesnt mean you have to agree, i mean unless you have tryed the guitar dont recomend it unless you word it "I have heard good things about (insert guitar)" not
"That (insert guitar) is so F'ing great omg its like playing it is like having an orgasm"

Thank you for reading sorry about spelling errors, if any one would like to add some feel free to. Im going to build apon this when i get some more free time

~Dmize~
Last edited by Dmize at Jan 22, 2007,
The "Threads not to make" section is actually quite good in the sense that it'd do a lot of "noobs" good to read it, but the rest is somewhat useless.
Mr Rhoads died in a plane crash.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
Mr Rhoads died in a plane crash.

No the plane tryed to "buzz" the top of his bus making the bus lose control
also add this dont argue a fact unless you are sure you are correct :P:
malmsteen metal? methinks not
Quote by Allnightmask22
It's like an internet "_____ Name Generator." Close family member + crude name for genitals + compromising sexual scenario + embarrassing or unknown sexual state (IE: Bestiality, incest, necrophilia) = Insult Gold.
Quote by Dmize
Goes to your my space lets see what we have here?

in myspace?

a few friends, some comments, 2 videos, voodoo child, some pics, and that's it
Quote by Dmize
Goes to your my space lets see what we have here?

My Meaningless input:

You stated yourself that 70% want to are or want to be shredders, so what about the other 30%, not everyone is going to like other peoples bands, or maybe you failed math class?
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Quote by Good Riddance
My Meaningless input:

You stated yourself that 70% want to are or want to be shredders, so what about the other 30%, not everyone is going to like other peoples bands, or maybe you failed math class?

mabey an exagerated % but still a great deal of online forums have Threads like
"how do i get fast"
"how to sweep pick" etc go to the UG's front page look at People and guitar reveiws
Dave mustaine new dean and the Emo looking Ltd review first thing I saw when I came to this site? Then the lessons How to shreed pentatonics?
Quote by Good Riddance
My Meaningless input:

like the kind of people that don't want to shred, they just want to live the blues *cough* me *cough*
The reason I stated that a greater amount of the online guitrist are Shredders is so that you'll relise why I didnt put up any other type of guitarist also. I have more respect for people who are aspiring in other genres besides Metal\shred because thats all you realy see now.
Quote by Dmize
The reason I stated that a greater amount of the online guitrist are Shredders is so that you'll relise why I didnt put up any other type of guitarist also. I have more respect for people who are aspiring in other genres besides Metal\shred because thats all you realy see now.

it would be awesome to see srv, buddy guy or albert king up there
Quote by SpIkE27Z
Rhoads was in the PLANE that hit the BUS.

i need to take my own advice my bad it waws a while ago when i read up on how he had died
You forgot the most essential piece of forum advice:

USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Way to go on your first post.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by Dmize
No the plane tryed to "buzz" the top of his bus making the bus lose control
also add this dont argue a fact unless you are sure you are correct :P:

Actually, the pilot was fucked up, and tried to hit his ex-wife with the plane. And Randy Rhoads did die.

Why don't you take your own advice, and not talk of things you know nothing about.
Quote by Dmize

Im sure many of you know who this is, nothing yells new guitarist like idolising Kirk. Nutoriously known for sloppy technique and over use of wah.

Kirk Hammett is a good guitarist. Not as great as many people make him out to be but I doubt that you are even HALF as good as he is.

He is/has been one of my biggest sources of influence and I am sure that there are others who are much better than me who feel the same.
Learnt to spell too, n00b
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by SpIkE27Z
Rhoads was in the PLANE that hit the BUS.

Definately on my top 10 rock star deaths. It involves a stupidly expensive rich kid toy, a band tour bus, and some irresponsible behaviour that makes the death of James Dean look sensible. All the hallmarks of Rock and Roll excess. I hope his last words were either "I dig music" or "I'm on drugs"

The least style ever in a rock star death - Elvis. The guy was Gerry Springer show overweight, dependant on every upper and downer you can name, and died taking a shit. So not cool.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Fromer guitars for Quiet Riot and former guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne till his death then replaced by Zakk wylde

Wow....guess I must have just imagined that Jake E. Lee fellow.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Kirk Hammett is a good guitarist. Not as great as many people make him out to be but I doubt that you are even HALF as good as he is.

He is/has been one of my biggest sources of influence and I am sure that there are others who are much better than me who feel the same.

Technicaly or Musicaly wait I should join a metal band thats destined for success and have littlest of input to the songs read who writes the stuff on the Good albums.
Kurt Cobain has been huge influence to many yet his not a good guitarist is he?
Actually, the pilot was fucked up, and tried to hit his ex-wife with the plane. And Randy Rhoads did die.

Why don't you take your own advice, and not talk of things you know nothing about.

Where di you hear that, because i can promise that is a lie
Even with out knowing it was a lie who said he was scareming die die? theres no way some one the ground would hear some one in a plane yelling also him and the pilot where killed?

And for that rockstar death no illecit drugs where found in his system but cocaine was found in the pilots
Who is this guy? Brand new to the forums, and he thinks he knows what a n00b is.

And yea, the TS is right about Randy's death. He tried to skim the bus in his plane and died in a magnificent fireball...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by Dmize
Where di you hear that, because i can promise that is a lie
Even with out knowing it was a lie who said he was scareming die die? theres no way some one the ground would hear some one in a plane yelling also him and the pilot where killed?

And for that rockstar death no illecit drugs where found in his system but cocaine was found in the pilots

he said DID DIE not die die ..... learn to read
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Dmize
mabey an exagerated % but still a great deal of online forums have Threads like
"how do i get fast"
"how to sweep pick" etc go to the UG's front page look at People and guitar reveiws
Dave mustaine new dean and the Emo looking Ltd review first thing I saw when I came to this site? Then the lessons How to shreed pentatonics?

Umm i just happened to notice that u just joined this month , but your already giving this kind of advise
04 Ibanez RG220B with jackson bridge humbucker
Quote by SG-Newkronic
Umm i just happened to notice that u just joined this month , but your already giving this kind of advise

hehe yea

Respect for posts: Nil

@threadstarter - You've pretty much named only metal guitarists. are you saying all metal guitarists are noobs and won't know them, or that non-metal guitarists are noobs for not knowing who they are? there is a minority to consider.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Dmize
Fromer guitars for Quiet Riot and former guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne till his death then replaced by Zakk wylde.

Quote by steven seagull
Wow....guess I must have just imagined that Jake E. Lee fellow.

+1
Not to mention Brad Gillis. take some of your own advice TS.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jan 22, 2007,
===The Guide to not being a UG "newb" and/or general idot===

There is only one rule. Dont post shite like this:

Quote by Dmize
Hello, if you are new to guitar and wish to start posting I suggest you read and follow some of the advice in this thread and take some of the knowledge

===Who?===
1. Yngwie Malmsteen
OHH yes considering 70% of online guitar comunity are shredders or wanna be shredders I thought I would mention the man who introduced it to a wide audience

2. Jason Becker
Prior to being diagnosed with ALS was a guitar prodigy his great musical ability is now confined with in his mind

4. Steve Vai

5. John Petruci

6. Paul Gilbert

7. Dimebag Darrell (RIP Died in shooting while playing for his new band damageplan)
Much loved guitarist of Pantera any flamming of Dime on an online guitar forum will result in alot of harsh feedback

The above guitarist are\where all metal or Neo-Classical guitarist They are in no order just guitarist you should know of and know why you know of them.

These threads are horrible if you decide reply a thread like this please do in the Following manner
Do not reply like thus
"Kirk Hammet is teh god"
"my guitar teacher"

2. How good am I?
"I have been playing XXmonths and i can play almost every Shawn Lane solo every Rusty Cooley likc and riff at double time is this where i should be"
Believe it or not these threads excist, guitarist have touble believing anything so when something that is so obviously BullS%#T comes up they definatly wont beleive you, whats the point in lieing?
How to respond
Just dont its a waste of time dont even bother of informing the thread master he is full of S%&t

===Gear===
"My gitar pwns all every1 should do what i have done i have a EMG 81 in the bridge and a SD jazz in the neck its sweet"
We all know if you put a passive and active pick up in your guitar you will get an unholy buzz dont try to post this unless your going to give a detailed explination why yuor guitar is an exception.

2. Know who use's what
Dont post stuff like
"The Zakk wylde Signature guitar is great its realy good for hammer on's and pull of's which it would have to be since randy rhodes used it"
That example was actuly a quote from a online music store's customer feedback which will remain namless

3. Dont lie
"Omg my 1960 gibson standard is in the shop getting Emg81's in it so atm im stuck with my fender with serial code #12 I also have my EVH signature guitar in the shop"

4. Reviews
"My bc rich warlock is probaly the best guitar known to man it has the best tone and its VERY GOOD for clean sound and my samick amp makes it sound so good i think i should put some emg's in it to make it better"
Enough said?

5. Dont sheep
Just say a thread titled
Just because some one says RG1570 and put Dimarzio breed's in it doesnt mean you have to agree, i mean unless you have tryed the guitar dont recomend it unless you word it "I have heard good things about (insert guitar)" not
"That (insert guitar) is so F'ing great omg its like playing it is like having an orgasm"

Thank you for reading sorry about spelling errors, if any one would like to add some feel free to. Im going to build apon this when i get some more free time

~Dmize~

[/piss-take]
Guitarists people should know of? I'd say your list is missing chet atkins, les paul, stevie ray vaughan, eddie van halen, robert fripp, jimmy page, joe perry, and howard roberts (and this is just the beginning). And you mentioned steve vai, but where's his teacher? Satch deserves to be looked at by everyone, at the very least, everyone should take a look at some of his clinic material online.

If you want to help noobs, then show them the river instead of bringing them a canteen.
Quote by Dmize

===Who?===
1. Yngwie Malmsteen

2. Jason Becker

4. Steve Vai

5. John Petruci

6. Paul Gilbert

Do not reply like thus
"Kirk Hammet is teh god"
"my guitar teacher"

2. How good am I?
How to respond

===Gear===

2. Know who use's what
Dont post stuff like

3. Dont lie

4. Reviews
Enough said?

5. Dont sheep
Just say a thread titled

~Dmize~

a nOOb trying to get respect....... tut tut tut........ Buy us beer and we might change our minds..
Quote by Dmize
Technicaly or Musicaly wait I should join a metal band thats destined for success and have littlest of input to the songs read who writes the stuff on the Good albums.
Kurt Cobain has been huge influence to many yet his not a good guitarist is he?

What defines a good guitarist then? Is it purely chops or is it melodic sense? And in the case of either one of those, what defines good chops - blistering speed, or slow but pure dynamics? What defines melodic sense - music that sounds good to just you?

It's all subjective - Post on whichever guitarist you want as long as it's relevant. You're always going to have critics and followers, the number of which shouldn't matter.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
To Good Riddance: I happened to notice your sig back there. In all my years, you are the single most pretentious person I have ever met.

Well Done!

EDIT: You also can't spell.

And, to the threadstarter. Meh. Not that funny. Better luck next time.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Definately on my top 10 rock star deaths. It involves a stupidly expensive rich kid toy, a band tour bus, and some irresponsible behaviour that makes the death of James Dean look sensible. All the hallmarks of Rock and Roll excess. I hope his last words were either "I dig music" or "I'm on drugs"

The least style ever in a rock star death - Elvis. The guy was Gerry Springer show overweight, dependant on every upper and downer you can name, and died taking a shit. So not cool.

Didn't Cass Elliot die choking on a ham sandwich?

Oh the embarrasment!
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Page 1 of 2