sorry but there are so many basses out there and so little amount of local music stores that have them to try out. So that mean you, the UG people, will hopefully help me on the situation. My price range in $300-$400 and theres not much more I can spend. This will be my 2nd bass so keep in mind I don't need a huge upgrade, I just want the most bang for my buck. I play mostly alternative rock/metal type of music so I want to be able to get the sound and if possible look of a rock/metal player. I have done so much research on these basses for the most part, but I just can't understand some of the things you guys can about basses. Here is my roster I have picked out right now.

Schecter Omen-4
it looks very cool but I am not sure about the brand. I have heard alot of people talk highly about them but I don't know if they would be good for my style of music

Ibanez BTB200
very cool looking bass that just plain looks like a beast, I've heard its light weight like my current RBX170 bass, and I like Ibanez. Another plus is that many of my favorite bands use this brand but I know that really shouldn't effect which bass I pick

Ibanez SRX390
looks cool but seem to be kinda rare. they say its for metal but I just don't know too much about this one though I really do like the black with white borders look much like how the Omen-4 is like

ESP F-104
I know your thinking he's just saying this based on looks but I have looked into this bass and the reviews are always great for this bass. For only $300 it seems that I would get a whole lot more out of it and I also like ESP because many of my favorite bands use them

No offense to anyone but I don't like Fenders too much and thats why I don't have any on my list. Really the only things about them I don't like is there fret boards and really just the look of them. I never understood why you really needed a pick guard on a bass. So out of these basses, which are the best? I could go for any of them really but what are your thoughts?
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Jan 22, 2007,
You can never go wrong with a fender p bass. what kind of sound do you like? like who are you into?
I just don't like them too much. I mean I guess I wouldn't mind owning one but I would much rather have an ESP or Ibanez instead. I play alternative rock/metal and I have gotten pretty good at playing in a short amount of time since I have so much support from my friends. We play fast like speed metal sometimes mixed with very harmonic stuff.

Bands I like are He Is Legend, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, SOAD and bands like that but bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers started me playing bass in the first place. I am not a metal head, I just love playing hard, fast music and just rocking out. I know I can do that on a Fender but not like I could on other brands in my price range. I like fast fret boards and basses without pick guards because bass arn't really suppose to have those really. I only have a thing about Fender basses I don't like but not really Fender in general. Many of there basses are great but I think you can get the same sound and quality for less money from a different brand.

Hopefully that cleared things up and I really wish I didn't even bring it up because now people are just saying how much they rock. Its all about preference and they just don't suit me.
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Jan 22, 2007,
Out of those I would choose the Schecter. They have a really luxury feel for the price range. The Schecter C4 is great as well.
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
I never understood why you really needed a pick guard on a bass.

Umm.......to guard the bass from scratches.....when you're picking.......
"Pick Guard". - the key is in the name, bro!

Look at your pickguard and tell me if you'd your bass wood to look like that!
you should go for a tbird takes a little time to get used to but is probably my favorite bass in that price range Epi version of course
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS

Bands I like are He Is Legend, Killswitch Engage, In Flames, SOAD and bands like that but bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers started me playing bass in the first place. I am not a metal head, I just love playing hard, fast music and just rocking out. I know I can do that on a Fender but not like I could on other brands in my price range. I like fast fret boards and basses without pick guards because bass arn't really suppose to have those really.

The Schecter is pretty much built to match your requirements man.

BTBs are built from terrible material. Not a spot on the SR series. I always found ESPs to be very poor in the price range you're looking at, and you don't want a Fender. So, Schecter are the only contestant left standing.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
dude, schecter. why? i despise all Ibanez, (i just do dont ask). and ESP are too heavy to play on stage.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Ibanez got some sick looking basses just this year, take a look at their website.
Yeah Schecter is pretty good. For the price range they are one of the best.

Although maybe you should try a Warwick Rockbass, the Steamer. Warwick necks are fast (I think) and if you ever want to try some slap bass then you have the ability too.
ESP's are to metal for you
Low end Ibanez's are alright but not famous for their quality
Shecters are a great mid-price company but i'm not sure about the omen

Buy the Shecter *golfs claps for you*
Quote by thunderbritches
ESP's are to metal for you

I don't get this. I've seen classic rock, jazz, and even R&B players use ESPs. Double ewe tee eff?
Ive heard good things about Schecter. Shame no-one near me stocks them.
F-104 > SRX300 > Omen 4 > BTB

Just personal preference. I love Schecters, just not the omens.
Quote by Bumper
I don't get this. I've seen classic rock, jazz, and even R&B players use ESPs. Double ewe tee eff?

'Tis true that ESP's are not only metal but the F series just screams metal, I know I have one. People think it's weird when they see this jagged edge bass and the guy playing it is playing some funk riffs. Though to be quite honest it sounds freakin amazing, maybe cus I use jazz strings.
Get the schecter. I have the stilletto custum 5 string, but i am sure the omen is really amazing too. schecters are amazing. you will not be displeased if you get one.