I have recently started bass playing, and i'm reading and playing tabs, but i really can't play to the song it self, because the vocals or guitar cover it.

So....

I was wonderin if any one knows of a computer program that could take an mp3 and basically "erase" the non bass sounds, like guitar or vocals for example
you cant really do that. when the songs rendered the tracks are all meshed together. how about just a tab program like Powertab?
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
uh...whats the power tab, i saw them but i thought they were like only for guitars...
most powertabs have the bass with the guitars but im not sure how to single those out. usually the bass follows the guitar so you just follow the guitar tab. but what ever works for you. learning my ear is the best so keep practicing youll get the hang of it.
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
go get powertab its really helpful..
it plays both bass and guitar, provided a bass part came with the tab..
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
Also, in alot of media players (winamp, WMP) you can use the graphc EQ to cut out alot of the higher pitches. It won't leave you with just bass, but it will make the bass more prominent.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
In Powertab, is there actually a way to silence other instruments, so only the one is playing? I'm sure there must be a way, but I've never been able to work it out.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
It's actually pretty easy to find the bass in a song, for me atleast. Look at the tab and then listen to the song at the same time without playing anything, and just try to imagine how it would play during the song.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Guitar Pro is much better than Powertab. You can just mute whichever instrument you dont want to hear. You can easily download of one of those illegal sites if you dont want to pay for it.

There are no applications that remove "parts" from songs, whether it be vocals, gutars, whatever.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
In Powertab, is there actually a way to silence other instruments, so only the one is playing? I'm sure there must be a way, but I've never been able to work it out.

Yeah, you can delete all the other instruments so there is just bass. Or change the volume of all instruments except for the bass to the lowest they can be. You will still be able to hear them, but this should make a fairly significant difference. Although it sometimes buggers up and crashes when I try the either.
Quote by Applehead
Guitar Pro is much better than Powertab. You can just mute whichever instrument you dont want to hear. You can easily download of one of those illegal sites if you dont want to pay for it.

There are no applications that remove "parts" from songs, whether it be vocals, gutars, whatever.

+1. I recommend Guitar Pro. It's much easier to use and more comprehensive than Power Tab.
+2 to Guitar Pro. A lot of musicians I jam with in the area use Guitar Pro to send around various parts they've come up with, so others can make other parts for it. We're all too poor for home recording equipment
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
I prefer Powertab to learn with, I don't know why. I guess I'm more used to it.

Quote by Dinkydaisy

Go to Guitar > Setup... at the top of the screen then turn the volume of the instrument you don't want to off.
Quote by Applehead

Well, he could do that if he used a program that lets you view the seperate tracks from songs (Adobe Audition comes to mind).

And with Guitar Pro/Powertab, it plays the part and highlights which part is being plated, so it's pretty easy to figure out even if you don't turn the other parts off.
+3 for Guitar Pro....I've had both, and GP5 blows PowerTab away, no contest
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Scourge441
Well, he could do that if he used a program that lets you view the seperate tracks from songs (Adobe Audition comes to mind).

If you could get access to the original recording files you mean? Impossible. And it would be something like Pro Tool or Logic Pro, maybe Cubase.
The other thing I hate about Power tab is that you HAVE to enter the 'tabulature' and can't enter musical notation. The developers have promised this option would be fixed for about 2 years now. Feh.

I'll have to start hunting for Guitar Pro now....
Quote by Applehead

You can mute other instruments in PT.

But yeah, like everyone said, Guitar Pro 5 kicks powertab. It is like two years newer though.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
lol where is the free download? :P

But anyway, another thing you can do sometimes is unplug one your left? speaker. Try it on Paperback Writer by the Beatles. Its awesome. You just hear McCartney's singing and bass.
Thats a phenomenon known as split track stereo. More common in the early sixties when records were making the transition from mono to stereo. Paperback writer is one of quite a few of the early Beatles songs that were recorded in split track stereo. Today you see it quite a bit in "Music minus one" and music instructional CDs. I just got a used Miles Davis Hal Leonard book that uses this technique.

I doubt you will see it on any popular album past 1968 or so, but I may be wrong.
it's still used but more subtley now. so, guitars will slightly panned to either side, still leaving some i the middle maybe. drums and bass still go in the middle, maybe backing vocals spread a little across the stereo field. it gives the music more space and is a common mixing technique.

have a listen to I am The Walrus by the beatles and pan it left to right.
Yes, but its a bit more subtle now as you said, and not very useful for splitting off the bass from the guitars etc. True split channel is rare as I mentioned above.

You also saw some experimentation with this effect with quad and stereo recording that allowed the run around the channels sweep effect that is very cool to listen to on headphones. Quite a few prog rock bands liked to play with this effect in the 1970s. There was a concerted attempt at that time to produce pseudo binaural recordings, that mimicked the experience of being present at the recording session.

Ok--I'll end this now...this is one of those topics I could blather about forever...just a personal area of interest.
I looked at the Tascam Bass MKII. It's cool, but it does cost some cash. If you are somewhat computer savy and don't mind working at the command line, there is a program out there called PVOC which does some of the duty of this device, but is shareware. I asked about this a while back and Marcel Veltman had a great post about the Tascams

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463752
basically if i want to learn a song properly, i will import the mp3 into logic pro, then whack an eq over it. remove the bassy frequencies and loop the song. done. you will never completely remove the bass, but you can get it quite low in the mix. this works for me. you can then slow the tempo down as you want it. most people wont have logic pro though, so you can use quicktime to slow the song down. you will need Quicktime Pro though, but you can get a dodgy serial from somewhere if you're savvy enough.