OK, I was thinking the other day about the way that a lot of guitarists like to mess around with the pots on their pedals on stage, e.g. playing some guitar through an echo pedal and then tw*tting around with the delay knob to get some mad sounds, it's fun to do, but I was thinking that it would be very cool if you could control any of those knobs using a variable foot pedal rather than having to bend down and do it, so what I was wondering was how difficult would it be to take a pedal you like such as a Chorus or an Echo and convert it so that you could control any of the settings on it with a foot pedal?
I don't know much on this at all, but theorically, you could just modify it so that a Volume pedal or something has hooked up to a pot from the pedal, I have no idea.

Why don't you just build the pedals into your guitar, like what Matt Bellamy did, or if your cheap, sticky tape them on (Matt also did this)
Yes you could. The component under the knob is called a potentiometer, a variable resistor. When you move a wah or a volume pedal you're just turning a pot as well. So you could easily hook up the control to a pedal.

But do you really want each knob on your pedal to be as big as a wah pedal? It's might be alright for one or two knobs...
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
it's actually easy to do and it also already exists in many multi effects pedals
its actually been invented, ive seen it before in some guitar magazine, its like a expression pedal but its got a cable that spins when you rock the pedal, you then attach the end of the cable to the pot or knob you what to control. there is no electronics in it ,its all mechanical.
Last edited by stone_sabbath at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by stone_sabbath
its actually been invented, ive seen it before in some guitar magazine, its like a expression pedal but its got a cable that spins when you rock the pedal, you then attach the end of the cable to the pot or knob you what to control. there is no electronics in it ,its all mechanical.

That would be just the thing, as long as you could attach the cable to different sized pots (I've got EH pedals, and a few different Boss pedals) does anyone have any idea what it's called? The Danelectro Shift Daddy sounds interesting too, in spite of the silly name.
Yep, you can do that. I would recommend using an LDR. There is an article on Geofex about this IIRC. Read it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.