hey i was wondering what r some good tecniques / ways to help develope alot of speed in picking ?like play at the speed of flight of the bumble bee
DudeZ
alternate picking and practice
the more u do it the faster ur gunna be able to do it
StueyALBB
practice sweep picking forever.
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
thanks but i already alternate and know how to sweep anything else l, like holding the pick or sumthing
DudeZ
Hold the pick however it feels comfortable for you when playing at speed.

My advice is that you play ascending and descending runs at slow speeds and make sure you're sounding notes cleanly and accurately. Play with a metronome and increase speed to progress once you feel comfortable.

Remember, playing fast isn't something that will come with a few days of practice; it takes months even years to perfect. Don't be tempted to try and play above your capabilites. Slow and accurate is a hell of a lot more impressive than fast and sloppy.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
+ lots

people seem to be obsessed with speed, when in fact it should be the lowest of your priorities.You should concentrate on playing things accurately and cleanly, on developing your theory knowledge, learning the fretboard and developing your ear. If you do all those things you just get faster naturally. Making speed a priority is pointless, as being able to play quickly above all else makes you pretty useless as a musician...there's no point practicing an arpeggio for weeks so you can sweep it blindingly fast if it takes you several seconds to figure out where to go when somebody tells you to to play in the key of G.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
wat exactly issss economy picking? neva realli understood it
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
turning your pick sideways can speed you up a little

the farther the pick digs in = time

so by decreasing how far you dig in by turning it sideways, the faster you can go.

but steve seagull is right. don't worry about speed. its not that important. sure its nice to be able to play fast when you want to, but its not essential
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
Quote by 4# 5b (Tritone)
turning your pick sideways can speed you up a little

What are you talking about?

Thread starter, don't listen to this rubbish. The only thing turning your pick on the side will achieve is poorly accented notes and an uncomfortable grip. I don't know where he got that idea from, but stay well away from it.

Last edited by Smokey Amp at Jan 22, 2007,
i got that from talking to Steve Vai at the National Guitar Workhop last summer. obviously its not something bad if he uses it too. and by turning sideways i mean turning the wrist a little, ever so slightly. it can yield a good amount of extra speed
The Big Three

Quote by kwokwok
wat exactly issss economy picking? neva realli understood it

Economy picking is an extension of alternate picking whereby you make each pick stroke as efficient as possible. Say you want to play three notes on one string and three notes on a string higher. So, you pick the first string as follows: down, up, down. Now, with basic alternate picking, you would carry on the patter and the first note on the next string would start with an upstroke, however thi is not economic. Instead, you carry the pick's downward motion from the 3rd note on the first string and use that motion to sound the first note on the second string. It's almost like a very acute sweep, used to increase speed and efficiency.

Personally, I think economy picking just comes from experience with alternate picking and does not need to be a main focus in your guitar playing. You'll get into the habit of doing it over time.

Quote by 4# 5b (Tritone)
i got that from talking to Steve Vai at the National Guitar Workhop last summer. obviously its not something bad if he uses it too. and by turning sideways i mean turning the wrist a little, ever so slightly. it can yield a good amount of extra speed

Well, you didn't mention that it was 'ever so slightly' before, you just told him to turn his pick on the side. I suppose if tipping the pick works for you, then do it, but I don't advise it.

well it just seemed kinda logical. idk how its possible to actually hold a pick sideways
The Big Three

Quote by DudeZ
hey i was wondering what r some good tecniques / ways to help develope alot of speed in picking ?like play at the speed of flight of the bumble bee

Start really slowly with a metronome such that each note is distinct. Increase speed slowly. There is no shortcut.
And with respect to technique, visit the shred forum's technique thread.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
thnx for the explanation on econ picking...
^ theres a shred froum?!?!? ive been missing out
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
as you rotate the pick from parallel to perpendicular, the tone becomes muted. Learning to take advantage of this can add a lot to the expressiveness of your playing (this isn't really apparent when you're not playing clean though). A completely perpendicular pick is also very good for speed work once you work out the grip and come to terms with its sound because the pick will roll over the string smoothly without catching.

Focus on developing clean, precise accurate technique, with absolutely NO tension anywhere in our body. Once you achieve this, the speed will come.

It's a human failing that equates tension with speed/force etc. This is instinctual, and also is convincing sometimes because tensing will be mildly effective to a point. Ultimately, though, tension limits you. The only effective way to reach very high speeds in anything involving precise coordination is to relax completely