hey guys,
im using 11s on my strat and i do pretty hard bends and my fingers hurt within a short time, is this normal and does it go away after a while?
11s are quite a high gauge, try using 9s or something. Otherwise, just regularly dip the tip of your fingers in surgical spirit which will harden the skin.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I used to have that exact same problem (though I think I might have been using 12's I can't remember) but anyway I now use 9's and my fingers are loving me for it
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Well once you develop calises in ur fingers things dont hurt as much, actually i hit my finger with a sodering iron the other day and didnt feel anything.

thats not the point though, the real point is that you need to develop finger strength and stamina and if that still doesnt work then dont use 11's
(the tone of 11's are horrible anyways)
Quote by philjay
11s are quite a high gauge, try using 9s or something. Otherwise, just regularly dip the tip of your fingers in surgical spirit which will harden the skin.

Surgical spirit?
You're best bet is to drop back to 9's or 10's to build up your finger strength. Once your comfortable with 10's then you cna move up to 11's, however you need pretty strong hands to manage 11's...some people (like me!) don't have the physical attributes to play heavier strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
either change guage temporarily untill ur fingers toughen up
or put up with it untill ur fingers have toughened enough and built up enough strength to deal with it
StueyALBB
i have this problem with some guitars but only usually when the strings are worn out. I have 9's on my strats and 10's on most other guitars. If your fingers are strong enough not to bleed but still hurt it's probably best to move down to 10's, they still give a nice tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by striker327
if i put up with the pain does it help?

No, I put up with the pain of mine for a long time and it was just murdering me each time I played, to the point where I was hardly even enjoying playing because my fingers were (I shit you not) bloody. Drop down a gauge or 2 and then when you have some nice protection on the ends of your fingers move back up
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
This thread makes me lose interest in trying out a bass. I've only played with 9's, and my fingers hurt a bit when first playing. Never played anything thicker. So if thicker gauge guitar strings are killing some of you guys, what are bass strings like for you?

Well anyways, my advice to help develop calouses/protection is to do a lot of random sliding on the (electric guitar) bass strings while playing.
Last edited by cloud041089 at Jan 22, 2007,
Well whenever I have played bass I havent been shredding on it, bending the strings constantly and doing quick changes with the fingers all the time, or whatever.....that's why bass and guitar are so different. But I'm not what you would call a "bass player" so I ain't 100% on what it would be like for you....should be fine though
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Dip your fingertips in super glue. When it dries you'll have a protective layer over them.
Apparently SRV used to do this but its probably just one of those urban myth type things.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
you just have to get used to it, your fingers will strenghthen after a while.
dont put superglue on your hands or anything, thats for ****ing noobs.
let your fingers build up naturally by playing alot.of course i went from using 10s, to 9s, to 10s, then 10-52, now im using 11-53. just gotta get used to it.
my fingers tips are hard as rock, they dont feel pain anymore.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules