hey

can solos be in a different key than the song or doesit have to be the same?
sorry for such a newbish question.

the reason im asking is i made a song in drop c and i then started to make a solo without realising i was making it in d.

thanks for any help

and again sorry for the noob question and spelling/grammar and such.

thanks
The tuning of your guitar and the key of the song are totally unrelated. To answer your question, yes, you need to be in key, otherwise you'd be off-key and that sounds terrible.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
The real answer is no. Sweet Home Alabama's solo is in a different key and it works amazingly. So, no, it doesn't.
Like the person above me said, the tuning has nothing to do with the key. What are the chords to the song?
The real answer is no. Sweet Home Alabama's solo is in a different key and it works amazingly. So, no, it doesn't.

It is actually in the correct key - the songs in G major, the solo is in Em which is the relative minor of G. It's basically a surefire way of making something sound "country" , whatever the underlying chord is, you play the pentatonic minor 3 steps below which.

To the threadstarter, if you're that worried about your solo simply transpose it down 2 frets.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It is actually in the correct key - the songs in G major, the solo is in Em which is the relative minor of G.

Exactly.

Quote by wongacaster
the chords are d a# f d# d d# f in that order they are played.
the only reason its in drop c is because the intro sounds better.
the intro has like palm muted c chords.

thanks for the help guys

i could post a tab for it if it would help.

The song is in D then.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
The song is in D then.

...and all you have to do is transpose anything on the bottom string up 2 steps, sorted!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If the solo is in D, and the songs in D then you don't need to change anything - however if you've used the basic pentatonic pattern then the bottom string is 2 steps lower, so you may need to shift things up 2 steps to compensate. However, if you've just picked notes based on how they sound it should be okay and you shouldn't have to transpose anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc