Sorry if its been done before,but Im a bit worried..Ive been playing guitar for 5 years now,I practice almost every day,I use my metronome always,learn new scales,new techinques and stuff and practice the basics aslmost every day..The thing is that I feel I've hit a wall....I cant see any further improvement in the last 2 years...Or at least if there is I cant feel it myself,cause my friends tend to say Im getting better...What should I do?Have you ever felt that way,and if so,what did you do?

(PS:I think this thread is better placed here then in The Pit...Right??)
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
that happens to everyone. just keep playing and try not to worry too much. maybe record your self every month or so and compare your self. chances are you are improving but you just dont realize it. you could also just be wanting too much from your self to notice the little improvments you've made.
Thnx m8..!
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
What I found, nice, beeing selftought for 3-4 years, and playing prog/death metal only, was to go to a teacher that teaches you other types of music. Really puts colour and different styles into your playing There is always a lot to improve on, you just need to find it
...And the worms ate into his brain.
I had two years private lessons...Jazz,latin,rock,blues and stuff like that,a lot of theory and improvisation...It was great back then I recall so when this semester's over,I had allready decided to start again...Yeah,knowledge hides everywhere but you cant see it....
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Jam with people! More importantly, jam with people that aren't your friends and that have no preconcieved notions. There are two ways to get better, technique-wise and experience-wise. You can't really gain experience by practicing by yourself or with friends that you've been playing with for a while. Guitaring takes expansion into different styles and learning from other people to get really good.

But I see you've been privately taught, just jam as much as possible to see how other people learn and use their techniques. An alternative would be to teach someone guitar, so you could pick on flaws they might have as a beginner that you may also have but couldn't spot for yourself. It also gives you the job of the authority that must know what he's talking about. Not to mention you can get cash.
Last edited by NotAJock2Day at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by NotAJock2Day
Jam with people! More importantly, jam with people that aren't your friends and that have no preconcieved notions. There are two ways to get better, technique-wise and experience-wise. You can't really gain experience by practicing by yourself or with friends that you've been playing with for a while. Guitaring takes expansion into different styles and learning from other people to get really good.

But I see you've been privately taught, just jam as much as possible to see how other people learn and use their techniques. An alternative would be to teach someone guitar, so you could pick on flaws they might have as a beginner that you may also have but couldn't spot for yourself. It also gives you the job of the authority that must know what he's talking about. Not to mention you can get cash.

NotAJock2Day is beyond Godlike...!Thanx so much!!!
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
This is something in economics we call Deminishing returns. The more you put in it the less you get out of it for example.
Their is a huge difference from Oscar Mayer bologna and $10 deli meat. But there is very little difference from $10 deli meat and $40 deli meat. So the moral of the story the better you are the longer it takes for you to improve.
For me... it's discovering new music, and learning it. If I don't have a steady influx of CDs, I raise my risk of an aneurysm.