Marshall amps always seem to be good. For guitars, I'd go with Schecter and Jackson.

And I've always like GHS Boomers for playing Metal.
Either a Peavey 5150 + Jackson Ke1 with EMGS

or

Marshall JMP (Modded version with more gain) + Jackson Ke1 With EMGS. That would be suited more thrash metal like Megadeth
Last edited by False_God at Jan 22, 2007,
What would you guys say for a tone like today's metal/metalcore sound? Like the generic As I Lay Dying, Killswitch, etc.
'Metal' is too generic a word, these days.... best just telling us what band(s) you are pretending to be/ trying to sound like.
ESP/LTDs with EMGs and a Peavey XXX, 5150, or 6505 (updated 5150.)

[/thread]

Seriously, nearly every metalcore/hardcore/screamo band currently uses Peaveys, like Bullet For My Valentine.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
^^I saw Bullet open for Maiden on the AMOLAD Tour and all of 'em were using Mesas.

On topic: I searched for the best 80's Thrash gear (That was in reasonable price mind you) and came up with my current rig:

1. JCM 800 + 1960 Cab
2. Jackson Soloist w/ pup bridge pup change
3. Maxon Tubescreamer
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
For a more Opeth or Wintersun tone-

Peavey 5150/Laney w/PRS Custom 22/24, or Fender strat/tele...

For a more "metal" tone... Hmm.

Peavey 5150/Laney, ESP w/EMG or Caparison or Gibson... There's a lot of stuff you could go for.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
How would you go about "boosting" a JCM?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
My dream setup for "Metal" in general. Im also very close to making this ALL mine.

Guitar:
Jackson King V w/ EMG 81/81

Amp:
Peavey 5150 w/ Mesa 4x12

Misc:
Noisegate
Tuner
Delay
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Laney GH50/100L
Ibanez RG1527

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by pierce34celtic
Firstly, cranking it, and secondly using an OD pedal.

and getting someone to modify it.. which a lot of bands did..

+

I would say either

Amp
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Long Chassis
Mesa Boogie Oversized 4X12
Mesa Boogie 3/4 2X2

Guitar
Jackson SL1

or

Amp
Marshall JCM800 + Boost

Guitar
ESP MII Custom

The Marshall + ESP would be more of the standard 80's affair, with alder body, emg's, and bolt on neck (which plays a huge role in terms of tone, since the center of the body is alder, unlike a neck-thru, which would have a center strip of maple)

The Mesa + Jackson would be waaay more versatile and sound waaay more modern/heavier, and is probably my preferred rig, offering everything from old thrash (albeit not as good as the JCM, but nonetheless good, hell Metallica used Mark III's which tone can be done on the IV's) to Santanna (he used a Mark I, but once again, a similar tone can be achieved) to modern metal like Lamb of God (who's music on the whole is hit or miss, but you can't deny their guitar tone)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by cloud041089
What would you guys say for a tone like today's metal/metalcore sound? Like the generic As I Lay Dying, Killswitch, etc.

Screw what is todays Metal sound. Try to go for the 80's style of Metal (Not Hair Metal, Bands like Metallica or Megadeth).
Gibson + Marshall + heavy strings = metal!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
first, a mesa boogie rectifier, then a schecter hellraiser FR, jackson rr1/kv2, and an ESP of some sort, with EMGs and mahogany body.
EDIT: add an ibanez prestige of some kind, either s series or rg series, although i prefer rg series, to that list
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Gibson SG a Whammy and a Wah pedal is the original metal sound.

But thrash metal i'd say jackson, ESP or something simarlar with a Marshall JCM800 or something.
ultimate?

jeez, I'd have about 15 boutique high gain heads and quality oversized cabs, minimum. all on 10. and custom guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheap setup is get a used LTD preferably from the Deluxe series. Buy a spider II not a 3 they are cheaper or a peavy amp. Then run an Big metal muff with top boost in it. Hell you don't even need the metal muff if you get a spider. I have a deluxe LTD and a spider 2 212 and I get some really nice metal tones out of it. Dr strings or Elixers are also good. Pickups wise either EMG's or seymore duncan sh-4 will do ya. You can find those in LTD h-1000 or h-1001 model. Killer tone for the cost!
now for the best setup b/c i din't read the damn post would most definitely be an ESP Horizon Nt-II running through a shlash dunlop wah, a Big metal muff with top boost, and a Krank Krankenstien Amp with the corresponding cab. (footswitch of course) oogggllllesss.....
Quote by ESP_Shreder
now for the best setup b/c i din't read the damn post would most definitely be an ESP Horizon Nt-II running through a shlash dunlop wah, a Big metal muff with top boost, and a Krank Krankenstien Amp with the corresponding cab. (footswitch of course) oogggllllesss.....

Do you have any idea of what tone is? I'll give it to you that the ESP is great, but saying that a Krankenstein or a Spider II is the ultimate metal tone is ridiculous.