Would you consider some of their songs played live during thier 1970-71 era to be proto metal? With songs like Young Man Blues, Heaven and Hell and Magic Bus I think so.What do you think?
Hard Blues Rock? Yes.
Metal? Most certainly not.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Ah ok, what's the definition of proto-metal?
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Definitey some proto-metal and proto-punk even more so.

Good band.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Early Elements of Heavy Metal.Black Sabbath was Heavy Metal. What Led Zeppelin would be considered, setting up the genre of Heavy Metal along with Deep Purple.The Beatle's Helter Skelter was influenced by a song by the Who and Helter Skelter was proto-metal. Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild is also considered proto-metal.So do you think that the Who's early 70's music was proto-metal?
whats proto-metal?
Is it like heavier blues rock or like very early metal?
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Hmm possibly, certainly not Young Man Blues, that's definitely a blues rock song.
Quote by CornLord

I would say The Who's "Live at Leeds" era could be considered some kind of proto-metal. I also think you can say that "Quadrophenia" is proto-prog rock, and The Who were definitely proto-punk. They broke a lot of ground.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I believe Young Man Blues was also originally by a Jazz musician.

yes it was Roger tells us his name on live at leeds album before the song starts but i can't quite pick up who it is.

Edit: Mose Allison the song eyesight to the blind was picked up from him to.
Bishop of Zeppelinism - PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by AdayTripper
If the teletubby has a vagina, I'll stick my dick in there.
Last edited by rplb at Jan 22, 2007,
You can definitly see influence from The Who in modern punk bands. By the way, the song "We're not gonna take it anymore" is the most amazing song evaaaa by the Who.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I believe Young Man Blues was also originally by a Jazz musician.

Any Ideas who?
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
I always thought of the Who as the godfathers of punk music... and even the stage antics of smashing up the instruments
Hey Polaroid what do you consider the best Who song?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by FaceTheBass
I would say The Who's "Live at Leeds" era could be considered some kind of proto-metal. I also think you can say that "Quadrophenia" is proto-prog rock, and The Who were definitely proto-punk. They broke a lot of ground.

This.. they weren't proto-metal at all imo..

Also take this to The Who thread..