Sorry dudesters, not pr0n.

Any way, I am pretty much set on getting a 5150 half-stack as my next amp but I have ben thinking about the Peavey Triple XXX as well.

I know that both have brutal amouts of low end and distortion , but I was wondering what the real difference was between the two.

P.S.- I don't care about other amps at the moment, just these, and only comment if you know what the **** you are talking about. Thanks.
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Well (from what ive heard) the peavey 5150 and the mesa have different distortions.
Aparently the xxx is like a cross between a mesa and a 5150.
So iv heard though. this isnt set in stone at all.
Also i hear the XXX has slightly better cleans. But its all in the eye of the beholder i guess.
I have a XXX, but havent had the chance to compare it with the 5150. I have the 112 combo, and the flexability with it is really nice.
XXX would be more versatile, because of the 3 channels, as well as the ability to use EL34 or 6L6 power tubes. I think the 6505 just has more gain, and unless you get the + model, you have only one set of EQ knobs.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
the 5150 is a gain monster with a total hardrock/metal sound. the 5150 II has a footswichable clean channel and separated EQs, but less gain and ballsy sound. The Triple XXX is a 3 channels amp with separated EQs for each as far as I know with the Bias option for tubes and it is know as being quite sterile.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
i have an XXXcombo. I ave yet too hear a better amp. Its clean is goddly and distorts extreamly well too.
Quote by Brothers_In_Arms
The Darkness are kind of a classic rock band, despite being a current band, so i though id put it here.
The 5150 is sort of the standard insano high-gain metal amp, but has almost no versatility. The XXX is, i'm pretty sure, more versatile, but generally more sterile and not as good at insano metal (though certainly plenty good). Although I've heard before that all you have to do is turn up the mids and sterility is gone
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Jan 22, 2007,
the 5150 doesn't have cleans.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
the 5150 doesn't have cleans.
True, it wasn't made for that too. Just get a A/B Box with a Fender Twin Reverb or a Carvin Legacy, awesome clean.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
I think the 5150 is more versitile than people give it credit for. Look at the Devin Townsend Band. Theyve got some 5150 action going on thats a lot different than what youd normaly think.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
i own an XXX, and have played an XXX, JSX, and 5150 head to head.

i'll start with the 5150 (it was really a 6105+, but not much of a difference, if at all)
clean, a little dry and grainy, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. it's no twin reverb. still, not that great if you're going to be using a lot of cleans.

for low-gainish stuff, and classic rock. it's alright. it does classic rock better than the XXX, but the XXX preforms other mid gain applications better (grunge, alt. rock). i'd compare it to an orange with bad tubes in this area. it was useable.

high gain - deffinately what the amp was made for. weather it be hard/modern rock or metal. it's a really thick and full sounding amp. not as agressive sounding as the XXX, but really a fat chunky distortion. kinda dry, really grainey, raunchy, ect.

XXX
clean- better than the 5150. still, no fender, but i would compare it to that. it has that shimmery/chimey characteristic, but lacks the life/luster of fenders. i've coaxed some passable blues tones out of it too.

crunch (mid gain) - not really "classic rock" sounding. i'd say it's more for a band like bush or punk or something. but i have gotten an alright "the darkness" tone from it.

lead (high gain)- beastly. it's tight, agressive, not to bright, just bright enough to give me that bite i want. but with the right guitar/settings (turn the channel volume up, master down) it keeps just dark enough to stay full and chucky. it's more "wet" sounding than the 5150, and i can see why people say it sounds kinda like a recto, it has a bit of reco characteristics, but not entirely.

i have some clips of my XXX here.

http://gpderek09.dmusic.com
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09

i'll start with the 5150 (it was really a 6105+, but not much of a difference, if at all)
clean, a little dry and grainy, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. it's no twin reverb. still, not that great if you're going to be using a lot of cleans.

for low-gainish stuff, and classic rock. it's alright. it does classic rock better than the XXX, but the XXX preforms other mid gain applications better (grunge, alt. rock). i'd compare it to an orange with bad tubes in this area. it was useable.

high gain - deffinately what the amp was made for. weather it be hard/modern rock or metal. it's a really thick and full sounding amp. not as agressive sounding as the XXX, but really a fat chunky distortion. kinda dry, really grainey, raunchy, ect.

XXX
clean- better than the 5150. still, no fender, but i would compare it to that. it has that shimmery/chimey characteristic, but lacks the life/luster of fenders. i've coaxed some passable blues tones out of it too.

crunch (mid gain) - not really "classic rock" sounding. i'd say it's more for a band like bush or punk or something. but i have gotten an alright "the darkness" tone from it.

lead (high gain)- beastly. it's tight, agressive, not to bright, just bright enough to give me that bite i want. but with the right guitar/settings (turn the channel volume up, master down) it keeps just dark enough to stay full and chucky. it's more "wet" sounding than the 5150, and i can see why people say it sounds kinda like a recto, it has a bit of reco characteristics, but not entirely.

What tuning you using for "DE4TH II" ??
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, eb.

note: all of the clips were impov'd and i have shit mic and recording program.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
Db, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, eb.

note: all of the clips were impov'd and i have shit mic and recording program.

Hahaha DE4TH II sounded pretty sweet if you ask me.

On my XXX, I think I've got the two settings the complete opposite as you. I have the ultra on a low gain (high bottom and high top), and then I've got my crunch on a full gain (high top)
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
people who say the 5150 has more gain...TRUST ME, the XXX still has MORE than enough.

on my xxx combo if I'm playing loud at all I have the gain at like 1/2-3/4 depending how loud.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

First off. The first half of this thread was a total n00bfest. Its just PEAVEY XXX. Not PEAVEY TRIPLE XXX. Secondly, where the **** did Mesa come in at? (2nd post) Third, theadstarter, if you want good replies...dont be an ASSHOLE. Forth, I like how you completely close your head section - in particular your ear holes - to other suggestions. Lastly, the two are not anything alike. The XXX is really bright (IMO) and the 6505 is really dark.

Youre better off with a Valve Junior. Im surprised no one has said that yet.
Quote by gpderek09

XXX

the death II clip was pretty damned good.....im thinkin bout stealing that riff now
thanks guys.

kurdtkobaign, you sir are a ****head.
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Quote by De Amazing Blob

lol I mean when you say it you dont say it like Triple X-X-X. Ugh. Internet sucks. As of now, I stand corrected - but only on a technicality.
Quote by robsta_65
thanks guys.

kurdtkobaign, you sir are a ****head.

And youre a n00b. Whats the difference?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
And youre a n00b. Whats the difference?

well id rather be a n00b than a shithead or a ****head or whatever he was trying to call you

anyways i would say the XXX has more versitility, the 5150 focuses more on one area, and accomplishes this excellently. Both have enough gain, its just a differnt sound. I would recoment trying both if you can to get the full effect of what most people are saying here, then you can also have your own twist on it all.
I honestly cannot see why the 5150 was made so good at metal.

I mean, it shouldn't be. EVH never had an overly metal tone, and he used cleans a lot...

It just doesn't make sense
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
convicted_man: i WILL kill/sue you.

xTJx:
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
convicted_man: i WILL kill/sue you.

xTJx:

I didn't get to play around with the settings too much. I was too busy playing around with my AC-2 and Dustin Kensrue's new album. ..heh.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by timi_hendrix

I mean, it shouldn't be. EVH never had an overly metal tone, and he used cleans a lot...

It just doesn't make sense

He never used cleans
wait you're buying 9 X's?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel