Well, I had a little guitar experience before I started to really get into it six months ago. Well, I can't seem to get the least bit better. At all. I'm doing things right, but it's like God simply wont let me play guitar. I feel my hands are too big, clumsy, and stiff, and I appear to lack the least bit of rhythm. So are some people simply incapable of playing guitar or am I missing something?

And yes, I work at it. Hard. I never expected to be able to pick a guitar up and play.
Last edited by Negromancer at Jan 22, 2007,
There's such a thing as natural talent. But there's no such thing as being incapable. Thats the great thing about guitar.
take the time to learn a song thats challenging. you get nowhere by learning songs that are way too easy to play.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
take the time to learn a song thats challenging. you get nowhere by learning songs that are way too easy to play.

You get better by playing songs you can play, and working to play them well, not by trying to play things you can't.
Maybe the dexterity in your hands is poor... i have quite good dexterity from playing games, and i sometimes do hand exercises (like putting your hand on a flat surface, make them a sort of 'spider' shape, i.e. not flat on the table, only your tips of fingers on the surface, and lift them up one at a time).
no one is incapable of playing guitar, its really just how hard you are willing to work at it. sure, some people pick it up faster than others but that just means you have to put in more time and effort. if you really want it you're going to have to work hard, natural talent or not. keep in mind its only been 6 months so you still have a lot to learn. once you know more, things will come easier than before. and maybe get a teacher to help you with rhythm. i have no idea how to help people with that.
Dude, practice is key. Every single guitarist here has felt that way at one point in there begineer years. practice is key, learn as many hard rock riffs as u can. thats a good tip. oh and practice.... and dont forget about practicing. Practicing is important aswell.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
As others said there's no such thing as "Incapable" of playing, my nephew used to have this "incapability" BELIEF as well, and he gets frustrated easily, he thinks is hands are too small (I've seen a 12 year old play Eruption on youtube) not the best version but he could play it, this was about october last year, now he can play the Intro to "Fade to Black" flawlessly, Sad but True among other beginner-class Metallica songs, it just takes time and a patient teacher (if your interested in being taught) if you get a teacher that says "you dont have it" or "your just not a natural" ... flip him off and go elsewhere, just keep practicing, dont give up

if you cant find a ryhthm, start slow, tap your foot and build speed
Last edited by metallicat420 at Jan 22, 2007,
Step 1: Shut Up
Step 2: Play Yer Guitar
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by Devon8822
Dude, practice is key. Every single guitarist here has felt that way at one point in there begineer years. practice is key, learn as many hard rock riffs as u can. thats a good tip. oh and practice.... and dont forget about practicing. Practicing is important aswell.

Second that. I feel like you right now Negromancer, I'm having a bitch of a time with sweep picking, and I don't seem to be getting any better, but that's just because i haven't practiced it enough yet.
patience... it's hard as hell to say that and harder to do it... but just do things that make you feel good about playing, and work on technique piece by piece.
I'd also suggest getting a teacher if you don't already have one. Other than that there isn't much advice to give without hearing you play. I seriously doubt that one can have the ability not to play the guitar. Some just have it harder than others :\
You cant blame your hands. I've seen fat people with big sausage fingers play excellent guitar. I also have a realy tall friend with giant hands that plays guitar very well. You just gotta keep going and your fingers get stronger and flexible. It just takes awhile for your hands to devolop their muscles.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
yes true, but i have sorta small hands, so i just have to be more picky about neck thickness, other than that, its all practice bro
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
like my guitar teacher said "learning guitar is like climbing a mountain, sometimes your going up and making progress, but sometimes you hit a flat plateau and it can be hard to overcome, but if you have enough drive and a small case of OCD, youll make it. and thats learning guitar."

wow that was long
Setup
Epi. X-Plorer
Line6 Spider III 120
Boss Phase Shifter
Boss Blues Driver
fbv2 Footswich
Quote by Negromancer
You get better by playing songs you can play, and working to play them well, not by trying to play things you can't.

And that's where your problem lies. You have to constantly challenge yourself as much as humanly possible to get better. I learned this early on, when I felt similar to you. I learned all sorts of things that are hard for beginners. If I couldn't play a riff, I just played it over and over again until I could. Yeah, I ended up forgetting difficult songs, and I went through long periods of doing nothing but playing technical excercises and scales, but now that I have the chops to play songs I REALLY like, I can play songs and remember them. In the long run, I'll end up better.

EDIT: Regarding the post above me, I have both drive and OCD. And ADHD, which, although prevents me from paying attention, gives me the ability to hyperfocus, which is an almost trancelike state of extreme concentration. I can play for 4-5 hours straight without any bathroom breaks or food.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jan 22, 2007,
Don't let yourself be discouraged. Learning to play well takes time. You should organize your practice time and always have a "warm up" period. Start of with some scales or chord progressions just to get your fingers warmed up before you start practicing your material.
My Gear:
• Fender MIA Olympic White Maple Strat
• Gibson Les Paul Studio (Cherry)
• Epiphone 1966 G400 SG (Cherry)
• Fender Twin Reverb
• Marshall JCM800 (coming soon)
+1 for whoever brought up the metronome. As for getting better, play any piece of music you can get your hands on. Country, Jazz, Metal, Blues, all of it. Unless you're a diehard about what kind of music you're into, I'm sure you can find guitar parts from any genre that you like. When I started learning different genres, my skill just kept increasing and increasing, and I haven't looked back yet. Also, do stuff by ear! Pick a song you like, find the tuning, and just try to figure it out. It passes the time quickly, and it makes you MUCH better! It's fun too(For me anyway).
Quote by Negromancer
Well, I had a little guitar experience before I started to really get into it six months ago. Well, I can't seem to get the least bit better. At all. I'm doing things right, but it's like God simply wont let me play guitar. I feel my hands are too big, clumsy, and stiff, and I appear to lack the least bit of rhythm. So are some people simply incapable of playing guitar or am I missing something?

And yes, I work at it. Hard. I never expected to be able to pick a guitar up and play.

Sounds like your problem is that you're not incapable, you just aren't having any fun.
If you're not enjoying playing guitar, don't do it. True playing ability lies in interest; if you're not insterested, you're not going to to be motivated to play and would probably have to force yourself to play, or just not play at all.