Ugh,for the past couple of months ive been working on sweep picking but in this last month ive practiced everyday. I could get em slow but never speed them up and they would always end up ringing open and sounding sloppy. I focused on 1 shape and try and try and try but no progress! I can only play it slow and it always comes out sloppy! Does anyone have a Good way to learn/practice sweeps (shapes,techniques..etc) to speed them up and also mute the strings so they dont ring? I try palming them but I end up just making the strings dead! NEED ASSISTANCE!
I don't know if it's correct or not, but I don't try to palm mute them, I just lift the fretting hand off so it's muted.
Although i can sweet quite a bit better than what's desribed, i'd like some tips/excersises too. Soooo, seconded.

Cheers.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Gotta get a metronome, and play them so slow, that nothing rings and you dont miss anything... thats the only way you'll eliminate the sloppiness... your trying to go too fast and all it does is damage your playing...

and a good exercise is to practice inside the string picking... pick between 2 parallel strings and dont let your pick go on the outside... so on the string on top your picking up, and the string on the bottom your picking down.. keep doing that till you can do it at an inhuman speed... then switch it, and pick on the outside of them both till your inhuman, then pick one string twice, so the top on your picking up down, then the bottom one your picking down too... and get that hella fast, and then switch it around.

the best thing that you can probably do to practice sweeps is to create a stupid little song or E-tude to practice...
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
i know the dude at the top said not to mute them but i think it sounds better when you mute the top strings.... try to rest your palm slightly on the strings and then sweep up and down like you are strumming while muting the strings...

i can prove this technique works because i can sweep the part in Canon Rock pretty cleanly but needs some practice but it definitely works for me..
try to start with the 3 bottom strings. as it is said you must strart really slowly and with metronome. If you practice well enough, you ll be able to do it in a few months and maybe less. doing it by muting strings is easier but when u practice try not to do it.
i raised my action a little when i began. It's far easier to mute the strings with your fretting fingers after picking them. I don't think it made me play any slower, but it helped me play more accurately.

Metronomes and clean picking are a must. Also, practice it on a clean channel. It will be far more rewarding.

With a metronome I played one note per beat, and didnt move the tempo up until I played so you couldn't hear the metronome tick (stole that from Steve Vai's 30 hour Workout.) Im not sure if thats worded clearly, but so well in time that the metronome wont be heard.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Quote by 1570-Shred
Also, practice it on a clean channel. It will be far more rewarding.
I don't get why people recommend playing clean for stuff like this; wouldn't it make sense to learn it the way you're always going to be doing it? So when you start distorting you don't suddently have to learn muting when you didn't before?
You practice on the clean channel because if you play on the distortion it might masks some mistakes you might want to clean up...

People already said the best way to learn an arpeggio...The Metronome. Just awhile ago a posted a topic asking how I could learn a certain shape. But I sat down with a metronome, and SLOWLY sped up, eventually getting to where I wanted to be. Do it with the metronome, and if it sounds sloppy as you increase speed, decrease it and keep practicing

sweeping doesnt come instantly, it takes a LOT of practice depending on how dedicated you are as well as how fast you can pick this technique up.
ive been practiing arps for a while now.. never tried muting the strings with my fret hand until now cuz ive never heard of doing that....now i have to start all the way over wich is frustrating.

I have heard that michale angelo batio uses fret hand muting when hes shredding. does anyone eles do this cuz if i start it thats like learning to play all over again.
i use the neck pickup to reduce noise. reverb to make it sound like john petrucci. i also roll my fingers across the frets to give my arpeggios smoothness
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Sweeps are practiced with dist. Clean is good for alternate picking and legato but sweeps must be practiced with dist because the main problem is that when you are jumping from a string to the next you must do it cleanly and you can't understand it with clean. In fact, to practice the left hand dist is better and for the right hand clean is better.
I have pretty much the same problem. Annoying isn't it?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by De Amazing Blob
I don't get why people recommend playing clean for stuff like this; wouldn't it make sense to learn it the way you're always going to be doing it? So when you start distorting you don't suddently have to learn muting when you didn't before?

no, playing on clean is essential if you dont want to be sloppy...if you can sweep at a reasonable speed, extremely accurately, its far better than being able to sweep at 200 bpm but being very sloppy

playing on clean channels will show you where you are going wrong to an extent
I'm with tashaklikedi. When you do a sloppy sweep the thing that makes the unwanted noise is an open string after your fretting hand has left it to roll to the next ones. Distortion always makes that kind of noise more noticeable.

When I first started to learn sweeping I played with the metronome super, super slow. You shouldn't be afraid to turn down the metronome speed more than you think you need. I'm still working on sweeping, like I'm about halfway there, but I really think the ridiculously slow speeds at which I started out helped me get over the initial hurtle faster than most. So I know you've all heard to start slow, but you should start stupid slow. Like you should feel stupid playing that slow. Thats how you need to do it. But seriously, it pays off.
We're only strays.
There is no right or wrong way to mute as you sweep really I use my palm and my fretting hand.. definatly as said above.. work it up with a metronome.. I always play them with distortion, u'll get it whateva.. just stick with it and dont forget about other techniques!!

I would start with 3 string sweeps if I were you, as your hand movement has to be even more controlled for these than the 6 string arp's.. a good exercise.
You can hear the extra noise on the clean channel too

It just doesn't overpower your playing

It's still quite evident if you actually listen to yourself as you play -

Try playing with your eyes closed. You'll find yourself hearing yourself instead of watching your fingers.
a. metronome
b. slow is good, doesnt matter if you cant do it fast
c. try muting the strings after you play them, not while sweeping
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Okey what the problem here is; you don't try hard enough really. If you do it slow and you can't mute a string, then A: you are psychicaly disabled
or B: you're not starting out slow enough

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Mine started off slow and terrible, a few months on they're still poo compared to others but I am improving. I used to see players doing this weird twisting thing with their whole hand as they sweep and I thought why don't I do that? I tried to do it so much but it sounded worse not better, now a few months on I have picked it up automatically and like I say I am improving. Someone in a guitar shop said to me once, and he had a mullet, so I knew I could trust him, 'sweeps will come to you automatically, you'll find your own way of doing it and you will be sorted'.
Clean is good for alternate picking and legato but sweeps must be practiced with dist

Methinks thou hast reversed reality, good sir.

I stink very badly at sweep right now, so I can't say too much on that, although the little bit of practicing on clean I've done has been ok.

But I know what I'm doing with alternate, and I would not even close to recommend working on that clean unless you are going to use a lot of clean tone in your music, in which case, you're probably not going to be doing a lot of speed alternate anyway (Maybe you will, though, might be something to try) But alternate is ten times easier w/ distortion. I wail on mine when it's on, but if I'm fiddling around clean at church practice w/ alternate, yuck. Seriously, alternate is much harder on clean. Much.... maybe that's what you want though if you want to learn by doing the hardest, but I don't know about that.
yeah that s exactly why it must be practiced with clean. in dist the imprecisions of synchronisation of the two hands (well my english is really bad so dont be so hard on me :p) can be recovered by the fret hand. I mean it s not recovered perfectly but u get the melody. If you want to play perfect alternates you should do it perfectly in clean. What I do is to alternate clean dist. I always start with clean practicing to warm up and sync my two hands, then i play with dist cause mastering distortion is a "technique" that must be practiced too.

I recommend to play sweeps first at clean with metronome and clean chan. then switch to distortion to control the unwanted noise when skipping strings.

DONT SPEED UP TILL U R VERY CLEAN
some speeds are easier than others like 60 bpm or 120 than 40 or 80 so speed doesn t mean difficulty
Quote by EpiphoneKnight
Methinks thou hast reversed reality, good sir.

I stink very badly at sweep right now, so I can't say too much on that, although the little bit of practicing on clean I've done has been ok.

But I know what I'm doing with alternate, and I would not even close to recommend working on that clean unless you are going to use a lot of clean tone in your music, in which case, you're probably not going to be doing a lot of speed alternate anyway (Maybe you will, though, might be something to try) But alternate is ten times easier w/ distortion. I wail on mine when it's on, but if I'm fiddling around clean at church practice w/ alternate, yuck. Seriously, alternate is much harder on clean. Much.... maybe that's what you want though if you want to learn by doing the hardest, but I don't know about that.

That's the point. It makes you work harder to play cleanly. Thus, you play more cleanly. That way, when you turn up the distortion, you're that much better.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
yes it s a really good feeling when you do it very cleanly with dist after playing hours of clean chan
Patience.......

No, not the GnR song......

But patience as in start slow....... VERY UBERF*CKING SLOW....

I did a month ago....... And I'm startin to reach well.... a quarter of Yngwie in my hands...

ROFLCOPTORZ !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
pick lightly in one downstroke and one upstroke, slowly, dont give up cleanliness for speed. Also try to mute the strings with your hand as you go down, this will seem hard at first but it makes you alot cleaner. Sweeping is alot harder with High gain, so if you can play it cleanly on high gain settings you can speed up a bit, jsut remember light picking is the key.
Quote by De Amazing Blob

Distortion masks mistakes. It's far harder to play something on the clean channel than it is to play it with the gain turned up to ten.

But alternate is ten times easier w/ distortion.

Then you have sloppy technique. If you can't play a song well on the clean channel, then you can't really play it, you're just faking it and using distortion to hide your mistakes.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 8, 2007,
dont plam mute them, just mute them w/ your fret hand, and play slow, and every time you practice, then play faster than what you did the day before, thats what i do
the best way to mute the strings is to be well synchronized
-Jackson KE-2 (made in 1985)
with dimarzio paf pro bridge evoltion neck

-ESP SV standard white

-digitech gnx 1

-audigy 2 zs :p
Start with a two string sweep, then move to three, then four, and so on until your on six. After practice it becomes nothing. Do it accurately though. Just use an arpeggio from a major or something.
Quote by Seirath
i want to know how to stop the ringing in tapping

mute the open strings
the trick is to slam your middle finger on your fretting hand in a car door. Then you should be able to pull off sweeps wonderfully.

/bitterness
im also having a problem with this and for some reason i cant do the three string ones but i can do the 5 string ones. some how the three string ones dont work for me.
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
First of all, there's a billion sweep patterns. If you're just practicing for your pick
hand you can make up anything to practice sweeps -- just pick 1 note per string
in a given direction. Make up your own. It's easy.

So, to get faster AND to keep in time (or do the same sweep in different timings)
can be quite hard for a while. Key Points are:

o Use your arm -- elbow motion -- for the sweep. A downsweep is not much more
than letting gravity pull your arm down. Of course the trick is to control the tip of
the pick as it crosses the strings. Use your wrist only to articulate.

o The very tip of the pick should be used consistently in the sweep. This is probably
what messes people up most as they dig in on some strings and not on others.
This results in loss of consistency sweeping thru the string and therefore timing is
lost, the pick gets caught, or the string is missed. There's a sweet spot right at the
tip of the pick. Slowly practice making sure you hit it. Something that can help
immensely for sweeping is the "Stylus Pick". I use something like it but I made my
own.