Page 1 of 4
I've been bored at work, and have been getting into the blues, so I've been making bottleneck slides from various beer bottles .
They work pretty good, and are pretty comfortable for me.
So far I have some clear ones made from Coronas, and brown glass ones made from Bud lites.
They've got a certain charm to them that store bought slides just don't have.
I just use a little sandpaper and good old fashioned sidewalk to smooth out the bottom of the bottle, so they will be a little rough, but all sharp edges have been removed for your safety.

I DO have green ones now.

Prices!
Green - $12.50 USD shipped
Brown - $11 USD shipped
Clear - $10 USD shipped

I also have a few wine bottles lying around that I'd be willing to let go for $15 USD shipped, as they're quite a bit harder to cute properly and find. They're awesome, though, the glass is damn thick on them.

Paypal is preferred.

Update!: I can ship anywhere in the US and Canada. I'm open to international shipping, provided it doesn't get that expensive.
Good pictures are on page 2!
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Apr 26, 2007,
Took some pics just using my cell phone, too lazy to look for the digital camera right now.

These are just so you can see the edge on these ones, and get a general idea of how they look. The brown ones are generall about 2 inches long, give or take, and the clear ones are 2.3 inches. I'm working on getting some green bottles, cause those'll look slick.

Anyone interested at all?
Not for 7 bucks I'm not.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Yeah, okay, then don't reply.
I've seen bottleneck slides that are just manufactured go for much more. A decent Coricidin bottle slide is at least 8-12 bucks. Bottlenecks go for about 12-15 for an okay one. Go look it up on musiciansfriend.com.
It's not an unreasonable price.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by forsaknazrael
[sigh]
No blues players, indeed.

Not true . I would buy one but I am really short on cash but I'm interested in getting a slide once I obtain some money.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
what other colors r u plannin on makin em out of?
Quote by rockr09
the sweetness, I dont think its racist either, just a lot of the "gangstas" do, and it would suck to fight a gang, considering they take the pathetic way of fighting with like 5 people to1. pussys.......
I might look into it but first I gotta see if my fingers can fit in a bud light bottle
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
I'm highly interested. I'm new to slide so were do you put your finger in the cap opening or the other side? if its the cap opening then I have to see if my fingers fit first.
Quote by fendabenda
I'm highly interested. I'm new to slide so were do you put your finger in the cap opening or the other side? if its the cap opening then I have to see if my fingers fit first.

It's the cap opening. I suppose you could use the other side...but that's a little scary for me cause of how loose it is. Might drop it!
I wear a size 11/10.5 on the end of my ring finger, it fits the middle of my ring fingers snugly, but unable to go past the knuckle. That should bive you a loose idea of the sizing. A bit loose for my pinky, if you use a slide like that. Let me check a ring size chart...Just sized up the middle of my ring finger...I'd say if you're a 9-8.5, it be a snug fit.

Quote by Chevylegend454
I might look into it but first I gotta see if my fingers can fit in a bud light bottle

^^

Quote by GuitarFret18
what other colors r u plannin on makin em out of?

Honestly, whatever I can find. Super Bowl is coming up....So I'm expecting a lot of beer drinkers to be throwin' out bottles. I'm hoping to find some Dos Equis bottles, as green looks quite fantastic. But so far, I have just clear and brown ones available.
hmm ok well i might be interested in a green and clear slide in the future (if u get the greens).
Quote by rockr09
the sweetness, I dont think its racist either, just a lot of the "gangstas" do, and it would suck to fight a gang, considering they take the pathetic way of fighting with like 5 people to1. pussys.......
I'm very much interested, do you mind posting some pics of the ones you have left, I'd like a clear one just wondering if its the same size as the bud lite bottle if so then yeah i'll get it because my finger fits in the bud lite bottle with much room to spare (even my thumb fits in lol)...also do you accept money order.
Oooo nice!
I call a green one!

Paypal works, eh?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Yeah, I just gotta find some green ones, Pink! I just realized last week that Heineken bottels, the most steadily available green ones, have pretty short necks. >_<
I'll let ya know once I have some extra green ones....Cause the first one is gonna mine, haha.
Paypal is what I prefer.
So yeah, if you got Paypal, fendabenda, that's better. It's also more secure for you, as compared to a money order.
I'll see what i can do I have a bud that has paypal and maybe i could work something out with him.
how much is shipping?
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
I would go for a green one. E-mail me at gcappello@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Stratocaster (1989) - First Guitar
Squier Stagemaster FR
Stellar LP Copy
Ibanez Artcore 78T
Homemade 7 watt + custom cab
Peavey Classic 30 with 112 Ext.
Roland Blues Cube BC30
Yargh, I know I haven't gotten pics up, my break finally ended so I'm back in school. So I've been too busy not doing my homework to get pics.
I'll try this week.
I only have one green one made right now, as there aren't a whole lot of green beer bottles with decent necks. Some lagers have em, and Dos Equis, but most people drink Buds or Coronas...

So if you're willing to just go for a clear or brown one...they pretty much perform the same. I have to add - the ones I made from this brand, ESB beer, have nice thick glass sides. The Coronas, too. I have plenty of those two brands.
i read somewhere that using bottlenecks nowadays doesnt give great tone or sustain cos the bottles are made of composite glass.

the website even lists some good bottles to look for like vintage wine bottles etc.

id imagine a purpose made slide from dunlop and so on would be better than those.

just lettin yall know.....
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Okay! Finally got around to taking some decent pictures. Sorry for the wait, folks. And remember - yes, I have a green bottleneck slide. BUT - It's my only one. So if you're interested in a bottleneck slide in general, I'd just recommend another color. Green is hard to come by, considering the few brands that make a usable green bottleneck, and because I myself do not drink.
Okay, enough of that - Pics!

NOTE: No, Lobo is not for sale.

Pictures of the Bud Lite bottle's cut lip.

This is the Corona's cut lip.

Some of the brown ones are from ESB beer bottles, not Bud Lites. Bit straighter neck.
These seem to be very nicely cut. I am pretty sure that they do NOT make beer bottles out of composite glass, such as Pyrex. That would be more costly than using the standard sort. The manufacturers don't really expect their products to have to endure much in the way of temperature extremes. I doubt they would sound much different than a store bought, as long as they were highly polished to remove as much of the porous surface as possible.

forsaknazrael, which one would you recommend with the smallest opening? I wear the slide on my pinky, which measures to about 2 ½ inches long and about 2 ¼ inches in circumference at the widest point. I prefer the sound of glass over metal for electric guitar, but my father's dunlop is huge, even for my ring finger.
Hehe. Glass is the way to go. I, too, prefer it over the metal ones I've tried.
How far on your pinky do you wear it? Not all the way to the knuckle, right?
Also, check out this ring sizing chart, cause I'm not sure what the circumference is for any specific ring size.
http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/ring-size-finder.pdf
I wear it to the second joint from the tip, and I keep the finger bent while playing to prevent the slide from falling all the way to my knuckle. My pinky is size 6, according to the chart you sent. The metal slide that I use (much to my disdain, because the glass one is a bit large) measures a size 7, so anything roughly 8 and below would be perfect.

I want to avoid the coricidin bottle. $13 or so dollars for a slide that originally cost around a dollar and no human labor to produce is not very attractive. I'd rather use something that someone shaped with their hands. As you mentioned previously, there is a lot more charm to that.
Hm...Well, most of the bottles I have cut right now about a 7-8-ish...BUT! I just got some great green wine bottles - about 5 of them! A couple of these would probably have a ring size of 7 at most.
I'm going to cut them later this week, so subscribe to this thread, I'll post pics and updates on em.

I think I'm going to change prices a bit, just because certain kinds of bottles are harder to find - while others are easier to find and easier to cut.
Green - $7.50 USD + Shipping
Brown - $6 USD + Shipping
Clear - $5 USD + Shipping
That sounds really good. Well, I have subscribed. Would you consider double cutting them, and removing the outer lip as well? I have a feeling that the edge would complicate really fast slide playing.
How round are those edges? I also need to know how narrow the skinniest possible one you have is. The circumfrence of my pinky is 2 inches in circumfrence, 50.8mm in circumfrence, (yes, I have tiny hands), and ends up with 16.18mm in diametre, or apparently a loose size 6.

Also, would it be possible for you to cut the slide into two halfs lengthwise. If so, how would you recommend re-attatching them? Regular epoxy?

Finally, what are my options for shipping to Canada?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I have two of the smaller lipped green bottles, that might work for you. I haven't measured them yet, though. So what's this about the edges? They're pretty flat, as of now, no sharp edges, though.

Cut the slide lengthwise? Por que?
I suppose it's not impossible, but it would be difficult.

Shipping to Canada, I'll do it, dunno how much shipping is - But I might be able to cut ya a deal if it's crazy. I gotta check how much it would be.

EDIT:
Quote by Will_Minus
(yes, I have tiny hands)
It's okay. Everyone has tiny hands compared to mine...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 20, 2007,
I was just worried that the edges may catch a string during a dramatic vibrato.

I may want one cut lengthwise so I could paint some sort of design on the inside, since painting the outside would end up looking like a peice of scratched up shit after 5 minutes of playing.

As for shipping, I'm mainly kind of concerned since we're on almost opposite ends of the continent.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
I was just worried that the edges may catch a string during a dramatic vibrato.

I may want one cut lengthwise so I could paint some sort of design on the inside, since painting the outside would end up looking like a peice of scratched up shit after 5 minutes of playing.

As for shipping, I'm mainly kind of concerned since we're on almost opposite ends of the continent.

Nah, I don't think string catching would be a factor.

What's his name....The guy from Gov't Mule...and Allman Bros...Warren Hayes. He has stuff painted on the inside for grip and for looks. Nothing fancy, mind you, just some squiggles. The main reason I'd advise against cutting it lengthwise would be because chipping the bottle lengthwise is VERY likely. I've able to cut the bottle horizontally well only because I can rotate and cut evenly along all side. Lengthwise, I'd only be able to cut one side at a time...and after getting through one side, The otherside would most likely crack. Even if I didn't crack it, making it look nice again would be a bitch. After epoxying it, you'd have to sand it down a bit with really fine sandpaper to make it play smoothly, and then probably buff it using cerium oxide to get all the scratches out.

I'll check out shipping tommorow at the post office. It shouldn't be too big a deal, it's a pretty small object. What's your address, or something, so I can ask the peoples?
I'll PM you my rough location and my postal code.

Mind you, I'm not in the financial position to be buying much of anything at the moment. This is all for the near future.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Page 1 of 4