Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300071134149&rd=1&rd=1

Firstly what is it worth? (in Australian $)

Also how are the cleans on this amp and what styles is the amp meant for?

Whats the difference between this and the other JCM 900's (Hi Gain, Dual Reverb)

Im looking for a good clean tone (John Frusciante, Hendix, Clapton) aswell as overdrive from those same artists and Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden for heavy stuff and RATM, Audioslave, Guns N Roses. Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Black Sabbath, Wolfmother, Nirvana etc

Aslong as the clean tone is as good as a Valveking or Fender FM 65 Id be happy with it.

The Hi/Low mode switch on this amp is a real plus for me, meaning 50 watts down to 25 watts, but is 25 watts good for bedroom use, would I get close to cranking it or would i generally have a better tone than on the 50 watt setting even if im not quite cranking it?
My Gear

Guitars:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Standard Strat

Cort Acoustic

Amp:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
It has the best cleans out of all the JCM's so that shouldn't be a problem.

It'll do all those tones fine. I know its worth about 600 dollars USD. Don't know what that would translate to in AU.

BTW...I could be wrong but I don't think the 50 watt versions have a hi/low switch. I've always read that was only a feature on 50 watt jubilees and it was only carried over to 100 watt 900's.

Maybe the guy doesn't know he has a 100 watter or something.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
It does have the High/Low switch, check out the photos.
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
I also need a cheap cab to go with it, maybe a 2X12 to make a sorta combo amp out of it or a quarter stack, should i go marshall or other brands, i need it pretty cheap cause this head is nearly out of my budget anyway.
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
I'd expect that head to go for over AU$1,000 but you never know. They sell for around AU$1,500 2nd hand at music shops so it'll give you an idea anyway.
^ $1500 just for the head? I thought they were cheaper than that.

You can get a master volume JMP50 for $200 more, won't get as heavy but sounds a hell of alot better...

As for the 25w option, no you won't be able to crank it at all. But it will break up fast than the 50w mode, so it's a useful thing.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
^ $1500 just for the head? I thought they were cheaper than that.

You can get a master volume JMP50 for $200 more, won't get as heavy but sounds a hell of alot better...

As for the 25w option, no you won't be able to crank it at all. But it will break up fast than the 50w mode, so it's a useful thing.

1500 bucks is in Aussie dollars. Noway he would pay that much USD. They go for about 6-700 bucks here.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ I live in Melbourne, Australia, all those prices I listed were in AUD. (And the one time I didn't write AUD before it...)

I could of sworn that I saw a JCM900 half stack going for about that at World of Music about a year ago.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
So does this amp have good cleans, are they the same compared to the other JCM 900's and the rest JCM series.

I dont know whether I should go for this one, or wait for a 50w JCM 900 combo to come up
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Also, is it a dual channel amp or a single channel amp? if it is single how do you change from clean and distorted?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
On singal channel amps you just have to turn up the gian or volume to get distortion. If the amp is responsive you can back of your guitars volume and get clean tones.
Should I go for this JCM 900 SLX 2500 or wait for a JCM 900 Dual Reverb to come up, and i still dont know whether to go combo or halfstack (or even quarter stack). Ive heard the Dual Reverbs have better cleans than the SLX is this true?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
^ To me the best set up is a head and a 2x12. That way you can choose your speakers, you can uprade in pieces, and it's not hard to lug around like a half stack. Or a combo with a cab out.

I dunno which 900 you should get though.
I would let what is available decide what you get. I mean I wouldn't turn back a really good, cheap combo just cause you've decided on the head or vice versa. I got my JCM800 2x12 combo for AU$700 and I've decided I might buy a new Marshall head chassis and convert it to a head, and turn the combo into a 2x12 cab. The new head is going to cost me about AU$300 and a new faceplate about AU$70 add a little for some new cloth to refit the cab, new tubes and a service and it'll come in under AU$1,500 for the quarter stack, and the head will look brand new.

And that price I quoted earlier of AU$1,500 is what Ormsby Guitars are asking for that exact head, it was at AU$1,700 before but people will probably haggle on that price a little too.
Last edited by treagar at Jan 23, 2007,
Not to invade in this person's thread (sorry threadstarter, i just don't wanna start another thread about the same subject)

But is it really that neccessary for me to buy the head? I might have to save a bit more, but is it really that neccessary to? I really don't need the extra wattage...AT ALL, but does it sound better?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Well ive got some info on them:
Theyre very versatile, they can get a decent crunch (far better than the crunch on the Dual Reverb JCM900's), nice cleans and high gain. The amp is single channel, but can be modded to two channels. The hi low switch isn't that good, since the amp is extremly muddy in 25 watt mode. It's only 3db's less than 50 watt which is barely audiable. Id buy that one or a JCM800. A JCM900 Dual Reverb wouldn't nail those classic tones for you.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by treagar

And that price I quoted earlier of AU$1,500 is what Ormsby Guitars are asking for that exact head, it was at AU$1,700 before but people will probably haggle on that price a little too.

??? Ive never owned a marshall, other than a plexi or plexi re-issue, nor have i ever sold one for someone else. I think you have your wires crossed.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
^ sorry I thought I remembered it being the SLX

"Marshall 1987x (built in 2002)

50 watt "plexi" reissue. Excellent condition, including new valves, filer caps, and a new transformer (genuine marshall parts). About 5 hours use since tubes went in, and tranny was replaced.

Tolex is in good condition, very very very slight split at the back, but no ply showing unless you pull the tolex back. Logo is intact, gold plating is good, and the plexi panel is perfect. All the knobs are there, and there are no lose "tops". This amp has not been modded for extra gain, master volume, etc etc.

Reason for sale: i have a handwired Marshall, and i dont need two amps that are simular (the other marshall is an "investment"). Id also like to look at getting another high gain amp. I simply dont need this amp.

$1600

Also... Weber MASS to suit: $300 (wont sell seperately just yet).

Postage interstate or to country areas is cool.

Im located in Perth."
yup, thats mine, but that one is a reissue of a 60-70's design, whereas the SLX is a 90's design. About the only simularity is the brand :P

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
^ lol and the "X" at the end, which is what threw me. I know what the difference is but I thought I remembered you selling the SLX thats all.