So I decided to try out a thicker gauge of guitar strings for my Ibanez (RG1570) and I'm stuck...I know how the floyd rose trems can be a bitch to tune and set up. And I've had to replace strings quite a few times already so I know how it's done. This is, however, my first time installing strings of a new gauge. I jumped from .09 to .11.

Now my problem is that I cannot seem to get the guitar to tune up to Standard E and have the bridge remain parallel to the body. I've twisted those screws on the back of the guitar to lower the bridge but can't seem to get the thing to budge. So, in short, after hours of trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that either I need another spring on the back of my guitar for all that tension (have 3 already, room for one more) or that my guitar should just remain equipped with .09s.

Also, I've read that .11s should remain in the lower tunings and should not be used in Standard E and if that's the case then I'll go ahead and stay with the .09s. Every once and a while i like to drop tune to D or C and then eventually return to standard E tuning, since that is where I like to stay a little more than half of the time. The reason I wanted the thicker strings was, pretty much obviously, that the .09 isn't AS..uh..."clear" or heavy sounding when dropped into lower tunes. So really this was just a "hey, why not?" experiment for me...

So yeah, that's my lil' problem there. Opinions and Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance. :-)
Ibanez RG1570 and RG1527
Black Ibanez Acoustic
30w Roland Cube Amp
Boss Metal Zone
Ex7 effects pedal
the gap in string gauge might be ****ing up your truss rod, but i don't really know if i'm talking bollocks here or not
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by twistedmaggot
the gap in string gauge might be ****ing up your truss rod, but i don't really know if i'm talking bollocks here or not

That's a scary thought. lol, hopefully you are talking bollocks here. :-P And Hopefully someone knows and posts...otherwise I may just take the new strings out and put in .09s again. (Or would .10s be fine?...) I don't want to risk screwing up my guitar. I'm tempted to take them out now because I'm not sure if leaving the new strings in the guitar with the bridge slightly raised and guitar out of tune will cause a big problem within the next 24 hours. lol...
Ibanez RG1570 and RG1527
Black Ibanez Acoustic
30w Roland Cube Amp
Boss Metal Zone
Ex7 effects pedal
Last edited by o0_ryan_0o at Jan 22, 2007,
it shouldn't mess wiht your truss rod too much, it won't kill it or anything.

but yeah, add another spring, and block the bridge when you tune it up, and then tighten the string tension (tighten them in the back) until whatever you used to block it slides right out. your bridge should be level.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
it shouldn't mess wiht your truss rod too much, it won't kill it or anything.

but yeah, add another spring, and block the bridge when you tune it up, and then tighten the string tension (tighten them in the back) until whatever you used to block it slides right out. your bridge should be level.

Okay, glad to hear that my truss rod won't die or anything lol. And thanks for the advice tubab0y :-)

Although I still wonder if having the .11s and tuning to Standard E would be a problem...
Ibanez RG1570 and RG1527
Black Ibanez Acoustic
30w Roland Cube Amp
Boss Metal Zone
Ex7 effects pedal
Last edited by o0_ryan_0o at Jan 22, 2007,
Having 11s on standard E would immensely reduce your trem play. It'd be stiff as hell and you wont be able to access some tricks. Not to mention its not too healthy for the knife edges itself, as you're putting more pressure to it, you're risking it to get damaged n whatnot (even though its an EdgePro).

If you're willing to try it, then go ahead but i dont recommend, just make sure you re-check your neck relief, intonation and action. 10s are better.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
.11 in standard sounds really stiff indeed, especially if it's a 25"5 scale guitar. If you play standard E and downtune to drop D and C once in awhile, and want a slightly hevier sounds, I would recommend a string gauge of about 10-56, like Ernie Ball Slinky Top Heavy Bottom for example. Gives you more even tension on the neck when dropped tuned, but still works and sounds really good in standard.
It can be done, but I wouldn't mix .11s with either standard tuning or a double locking system. Too much strain, won't feel good, and your guitar won't like it.