I plan on playing both acoustic and electric, and I'm getting a guitar this week (hopefully). I've looked around for quite a while. In the electric guitar forums most people tend to say learn on electric if I want to play it more. My budget is around $1000 and I want to get an acoustic + electric + accesories with that money. I don't want to buy both guitars simultaneously, but just one and if I play it often another. Any advice on whether to learn on acoustic/electric, how much to spend etc. I already have some guitars in mind...
Id get an acoustic and an electric and split the money. now obviosly an electric will cost more, but still, a lotta ppl would luv to have a 1000 buck budget. Learn them both. It cant hurt to really get in tune with r acoustic side, then slowly switch to electric. Its what I did.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Well I don't think getting both at once is the best choice. Yea $1000 seems like a lot but I don't really want to spend all my spare money right away. Wouldn't getting one for a couple months be a better choice? And if so, which one first...
i would recommend getting an acoustic first. it's harder to play, but once you get used to it its fine. I started with an acoustic, and it makes it really easy to play electric after you've practiced with an acoustic
You can learn on anything, as long as it stays in tune and isn't too crap. I'd say an acoustic would be better though. Then you can hear yourself without an amp. Hearing yourself stuff up through an amp can be discouraging.
Well seeing as if you start on electric you have to buy an amp as well... Mean its more expensive to get something good.

Just buy one or the other at first. Don't commit that much money in one big hit when you start playing. Buy something and then wait for a while and save up for if you keep on playing and want something better.

What you should get should be based upon what sort of music you listen to mostly. Acoustics are better in terms of they make electrics easy and you can take them anywhere and dont need a powerpoint and an amp. Electrics are good cos you can muck around with effects and stuff.
Acoustics arn't that much harder to play at first.

What type of music do you like?
And what do you really want to play first? (Just because you can buy both doesn't mean you should)
Also what guitars have you got in mind?
it all depends what you want...

i started on a big ass jumbo acoustic guitar ... its tough and painful i know but after i learnt how to play acoustic , the electric was super easy to barre and all that
The action on an Electric is a lot softer, and easier to learn on. IMO

But some will argue to learn on the Acoustic, because as the action is harder, it will strengthen your hands up, and make playing an electric easier

My advice is to get the cheaper of the two first, as a high percentage of n00bs don't continue and just end up with an expensive bookend, or bug squasher.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Quote by DJaye
The action on an Electric is a lot softer, and easier to learn on. IMO

But some will argue to learn on the Acoustic, because as the action is harder, it will strengthen your hands up, and make playing an electric easier

My advice is to get the cheaper of the two first, as a high percentage of n00bs don't continue and just end up with an expensive bookend, or bug squasher.

Listen to the man. He's good.

Acoustic isn't that much harder on the fingers. It takes a couple of weeks to get used to it as it has thicker strings with more tension on them along with a higher action. But if your the sorta person who can deal with it for a few weeks then its well worth getting an acoustic. The trick with learning an acoustic is to keep it nearbye when your at home so that you pick it up and play it more often. I pretty much carry mine around the house with me.
If you do buy one and find your fingers start to get sore. Stop and go do something else for an hour. Give yourself a break. Don't play when it hurts. It's just silly.
Yea lately for some reason I've started leaning towards acoustic first... I think it's a smaller risk money-wise. Music wise, I've been looking into playing rock/alternative/punk/metal/etc.
Quote by ilovemaryjane
i would recommend getting an acoustic first. it's harder to play, but once you get used to it its fine. I started with an acoustic, and it makes it really easy to play electric after you've practiced with an acoustic

my thoughts exactly. this is a very good path
Quote by VoRzCeNt
Yea lately for some reason I've started leaning towards acoustic first... I think it's a smaller risk money-wise. Music wise, I've been looking into playing rock/alternative/punk/metal/etc.

Well, If the music you want to play doesn't have distortion then your fine. An aocustic can do it. But if you want to play stuff with distortion... well... And electric is probably your best bet as in alot of cases trying to play stuff thats meant to be played with distortion just sounds crap without it
The only thing that makes me skeptical about starting on acoustic is the fact everyone on the electric forums say to start with that, etc. But I think I'm going to learn on an acoustic, as of now...
depends on your style of music, like all the death metal kids are gonna want you to play acoustic. i play both equally and im syaing its gonna be easier to switch from acoustic to electric initially than vis versa
case in point, bending notes on an acoustic is comparatively hard, but if you get good at in youll be amazing at bending on an electric
Yea, I finally got to Guitar Center today. I think I'd rather have an acoustic to start off with, just because they can play what I really want to, are somewhat easier to pick up and play, and I don't have to worry about drums masking the sound (I'm not good enough to be in a band lol). A guy working across the street at Herter's recommended a Seagull. I've read up on them before but have never really played one except the two in the store. It sounded good, definitely good enough for me, any advice?
Seagull's have a reputation for being quality guitars. I myself have an S6 Spruce and love it.
Yea that's what I'm looking at. I can get it for $400, should I?

Edit: Sorry read it wrong it's an M6 spruce seagull.
Last edited by VoRzCeNt at Jan 24, 2007,
for another 100 you could have a martin which i think is a better guitar not that seagulls arent quality because they are i just think that a martin for another 100 would be the way to go and i dont know who said electrics are more xpensive but you can get a complete epi starter kit for like 300 and its an sg series which isnt soooooooo bad but it would help you when you are having trouble with a hard piece on the acoustic you pick up that epi and bang it out then slowly work it into your acoustic thats what i do
Dude.... The cheap Martins are all waaaay overpriced. You pay mainly for the brand name.
The back and sides of these guitars are made out of HPL (High Pressure Laminate) which is shitter than normal laminate when it comes to guitars.
The $400 Seagull would probably be much better than the $500 Martin.
Martin and Taylor are great at the high end of thigns. But at the lower end there are other companies who reign supreme. The Seagulls are nice. Well worth the money.
So are Alvarez's at that sort of price range.

Different brands do different things better. And you want the best guitar for your money. And at the $400 sort of price range Martin is NOT the best value for money.
Shoot for an acoustic/electric guitar. I got a good one for $600 at Guitarworld.

It's great!~
Wiki Guitar - New Community Guitar site that anyone can edit and contribute to. Features tabs, articles, resources, lessons, forums, and more.
Any alvarez's you guys would recommend? Or other $300-500 guitars. Thanks.
Last edited by VoRzCeNt at Jan 24, 2007,