(typing this on PSP) I was wondering how do you guys write songs other than using music theory because I dont think its for me... What I mean is are there any techniques that I can use to playing the songs in ma head...? Just thought I might ask.. Also how long did it take you to successfully play songs by ear?
Absolutely,you need some theory knowledge.It's important part.
You should practice it and playing guitar at the same time.Just make your ears ...
Then go for scales on fret board.
It' a musician dream to play the song that he's hearin it.
Quote by Martha Stewart
(typing this on PSP) I was wondering how do you guys write songs other than using music theory because I dont think its for me...

i don't always focus on theory, though if you do write something that sounds good there will be theory somewhere in some form to explain why it sounds good.

Quote by Martha Stewart
What I mean is are there any techniques that I can use to playing the songs in ma head...?

the best thing you can do is become intimately familiar with music. if you hear a C a hundred thousand times you start to get used to how a C sounds. i've gotten to the point now where if i think of a melody i can usually play it right off the bat.

Quote by Martha Stewart
Just thought I might ask.. Also how long did it take you to successfully play songs by ear?

depends, some songs i still need bits and pieces of help on depending on the tuning and complexity of the song. however most radio pieces i can play after hearing once or twice and i was about 6 or 7 years in when i got succesful at doing this in a consistent manner.
I wrote songs without knowing theory. but once i learned some it really made my writing better. so laern some. Also if u realy dont. Then listen to some music u like. Get the tab for it. Learn it. And do this for several bands that u like. Then incorparate all the bands styles of writing into your own.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin