Well, I've kind of hit a bit of a block with my playing, and decided to work on my chords and rythms. The problem is, I don't know many chords. So, in order to learn more, and hopefully at the same time help some others, why don't we share some chords that we feel every guitarist should know.
i think besides majors and minors, every guitarist should know how to play 7th chords and 9ths, major and minor. they can add a nice jazzy sound to a song.
Quote by yawn
In order to be called even a somewhat-competent guitarist, you must learn and memorize every single one of these chords:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc/all_the_chords_crd.htm

Aha, I don't know all those chords but I do know many many many that are not listed there.

But yeah, it's very important to know and understand the construction of chords as well as how to play them.
the basics: all your major and minor chords, barre chords, power chords

intermediate: all the basics, plus sus2, sus4, 7th, min7th, maj7th, 9th, add9, mixed chords (C/G, G/D, etc...) and a few others you'd just pick up along the way.

master: everything up to 13th chords, and how to construct them.
How in the hell do you read those chords?!
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by Helloween_rox
How in the hell do you read those chords?!
I usually use my eyes, but some are able to use their toes.
Make sure that you know how the chords are constructed.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Quote by pavan
Make sure that you know how the chords are constructed.

And also how they can be used in various progressions - i.e. II V I.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
And also how they can be used in various progressions - i.e. II V I.

any links to how how they can be used in various progressions?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Major
Minor
Diminished
Augmented
Minor 7th
Major 7th
add9
Suspended

...and that's just to start.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Chords are to a guitarist as paints are to a painter. The more colors a painter has on his palette the more creative his works can be and the same goes for a guitarist. The more chords we know the more we can put our emotions into our music. Thats not to say you should know every single chord to known to man. You should learn chords that you know you plan to actually use in your playing and then learn the inversions of those chords as well. The same goes for working with scales. If you only like to use maybe 7 different scalar forms in your playing, then why know 20? the rest are just going to waste and not being used.

Use chords and chord forms what will fit into the styles of playing that you enjoy. As with anything else, you should only learn something if you plan to apply it later.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Quote by moup
Major: A,C,D,E,F,G
Minor: A,D,E
Sixth: G
Seventh: A,D,E,G
Major 7th: A,C,D
Minor 7th: A,D,E
Sus2: A,D,E
Sus4: A,D,E
Add9: C
Power Chords
Barre Chords.

I know that by memory.

I would advise learning at least two shapes for every one of those chords in every key.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by yawn
In order to be called even a somewhat-competent guitarist, you must learn and memorize every single one of these chords:

Umm your crazy.... First you probably know half of those chords and secondly who needs to memorize stuff when you can formulate them. What this kid should really learn is chord theory/music theory and maybe a few variations of chords which are typically movable.
Class A Procrastinator and Class A Guitarist..
Here's a link to some really good material on chord progressions:

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/progressions/index.asp

Here's a link to an article about chord substitution:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=538

As far as chords go, I would make some very concrete goals for yourself to really push yourself. Something like within a period of a month you'll know between 5-10 ways to play every major and minor triad; at least 5 voicings of major 7th, minor 7th, and dominant 7; at least 5 voicings of the suspended and add9 chords; and after that make a goal regarding extended chords. To really push myself I try to figure out every single voicing of a chords that are possible with just the use of my eyes and my fretboard: no paper. I love using chord books, but I love figuring chords out even more, and you'll most likely remember them faster than you would with a chord book.
Learn the CAGED progression of barre chords.
The letters in CAGED are relative to the basic chord forms of C, A, G, E, and D.
When your take the basic chord forms and apply it to a barred chord form, you can play the same chord in 5 different postions on the fret board.
For Example,

you have the Cmaj chord-
e--0
B--1
G--0
D--2
A--3
E-(0)

the Cmaj in the A chord form-
e--3
B--5
G--5
D--5
A--3
E--X

the Cmaj in G chord form-
e--8
B--5
G--5
D--5
A--7
E--8
the C maj in E chord form-
e--8
B--8
G--9
D--10
A--10
E--8
the Cmaj in D chord form-
e--13
B--14
G--13
D--11
A--X
E--X

you can apply this to almost nearly all maj and min chords, as for the other chord variations, its a little more complicated.
Quote by yawn

Phfft...I know at least 3 times as many chords as that list provides...
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by guitarted
Anyone have any good songs to work with all this?

Well if you can get your hands on some really simple jazz stuff, it has a lot of variations of chords. These simple jazz standards use major, minor, diminished, major 7, 7, minor 7, suspended, and the very odd 9th chord. I know that that sounds very daunting, but most of those chords you will know already like the major and minor ones, and the other chords are quite simple.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Learn to construct chords, saves a lot of time.
I miei odori giapponesi della ragazza della scuola del penis di rino!
Scary stuff.. im having to get a teacher to help me with chords.. I started playing out playing lead and although I know the CAGED system the thought of knowing about chords as well as I can shred really scares me.. thing is I need to know it all (to a decent level) by september so I can do a HND in guitar playing!!!
^ Sound advice, but youre better off learning a bunch of different chords first.

If you don't know what certain types of chords sound like, and how they can be used in a musical context. It doesn't matter that you can construct them.

You should look into learning songs by people like Elton John, The Beatles. But get the official songbooks because most people tab the Beatles and they write down simple versions of the chords they actually use because they cant hear the real chord being played.

Also dont be afraid to look at other instrument songbooks, all instruments use Chords and you can get some really interesting sounds if you transfer Piano music to guitar, for example.
It would be like somebody saying, "I don't want to use words to talk, I want to just go by feel, I want to rub my penis all over them. I don't want to talk" - John Frusciante's view on people who don't want to learn music theory