I personally think it adds to the sound and makes the band more "true". I still enjoy BM with good production, Naglfar being my favorite band. But yeah, whatever.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Shitty production pwns. Do what I do - crank Filosofem and drift away.
Quote by Masochist_Lust
Yeah, shitty production is what makes black metal so great.

--Masochist Lust

Partly. Borknagar and late Emperor is still great stuff (late Emperor not as BM'ish), yet their production is more than the usual buzz of kvlt black metal. Not saying Darkthrone isn't great (it is), but you don't HAVE to sound like a garage band in order for it to be good. Others will argue otherwise, but that is my 0.02.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

I don't care, as long as the band isn't gay
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
What?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

Speaking of shitty productions in BM, that saurkraut I had last night is catching up with me.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by Leonheart
Are you people serious?

Of course, silly unkvlt n00blet...
Quote by Mr. President
I think it can sound true regardless of production quality.

Yeah that's what I'm saying.
It's not necessarily in the bad production. I'll just take Nargaroth's Geliebte des Regens or Rasluka Pt.I or II (**** off Dwain, I know), you have outstanding production and an increadibly raw and pure sound with lots of atmosphere.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
The rawest i can still get atmosphere out of is probably In the Nightside Eclipse. I've listened to burzum and immortal, and i really dont feel any atmosphere at all.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by mike130
Partly. Borknagar and late Emperor is still great stuff (late Emperor not as BM'ish), yet their production is more than the usual buzz of kvlt black metal. Not saying Darkthrone isn't great (it is), but you don't HAVE to sound like a garage band in order for it to be good. Others will argue otherwise, but that is my 0.02.

Yeah, I understand that too. I enjoy early/shitty production black metal aswell as the stuff where the band took time to record it and clean it up a bit.

I love Emperor's new stuff BTW.

--Masochist Lust
Most black metal I've heard was very produced and I hated it. I haven't heard much but I should probably give some of the grittier stuff a chance, bad production bands are usually hella more fun
Quote by Sabu
Most black metal I've heard was very produced and I hated it. I haven't heard much but I should probably give some of the grittier stuff a chance, bad production bands are usually hella more fun

A great Black Metal song with really shit recordingness is 'Revelation of Doom' by Gorgoroth. Lol, I love it.

--Masochist Lust
Feeble Screams - Burzum
Noctambulant - Immortal

that's where it's at.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Feeble Screams - Burzum
Noctambulant - Immortal

that's where it's at.

I'm listening to 'Dunkelheit' by Burzum right now. The production is so bad, lol, but I love it...

--Masochist Lust
Best Burzum song ever is Han Som Reiste. The most relaxing song ever. I go to sleep everynight with it playing for some reason.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Best Burzum song ever is Han Som Reiste. The most relaxing song ever. I go to sleep everynight with it playing for some reason.

I really like 'Crypt of the Wizard', even though it sounds very Gameboy music-ish to me for some reason, lol.

--Masochist Lust
it's gives the grimbos points to listen to the most indecyherable music. But a line has to be drawn. You can have gritty recording, but you still have to master the fukkin thing - too many over-night-loungeroom BM 'bands' don't get this bit.
Shadilay.
Quote by CaptainOfSmug

**** yeah!!! This and Når Himmelen Klarner...