to switch from electric guitar to bass?
I really want to play bass because everyone plays the guitar and i've been playing it for 2 years and have gotten nowhere.
Has anyone else switched? How hard of a transition is it?
"Cause if my baby don't love me no more... I know her... sister will."
-Red House by Jimi Hendrix
It's that hard of a transition at all really. I found jamming a little easier with a little bit of theory under my belt already.

Just buy a cheap beginner bass and give it a shot.
Don't switch, play both.

You'll know the notes on the fretboard and basic left hand fingering technique, so that helps but you'll still have alot to learn. You won't just magically become a great bass player.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
What kind of stuff would I need to learn?
learn some worship songs, most of them are super easy to learn and play.

i've recently switched and it's not too hard. it's a little odd getting used to the longer neck and wider frets, but once you've got that down, you're pretty much set to begin the road to being a good bassist
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I just picked up my bass again after six months playing guitar, you have to get used it shouldn't be to hard, exept for slapping and maybe the right hand technique
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
I think it depends on what kind of music you play on guitar, I recently switched and i used to be a metal guitarist so it was a bit hard to get " the groove"
Quote by Fast_Bear
The left havd can be alot the same, especially on a short sale Bass. But the right hand is alot different!

isn't it a lot the same if you play bass with a pick though?
Quote by greysonsmith

Don't bother switching to bass if you're gonna use a pick

I honestly cannot see why people bother playing bass with a pick. I'm not discouraging you from playing bass, but please play with your fingers!
Quote by Chimpy101

I honestly cannot see why people bother playing bass with a pick. I'm not discouraging you from playing bass, but please play with your fingers!

What a remarkably stupid comment. What is seriously wrong with using a pick? The guitar didn't start out as an instrument that used picks. Now 75% of guitarists use picks! It's not like they get yelled at for it.

Stop trying to act cool. There aren't rules on playing instruments.
Quote by Chimpy101

I have to disagree. let people play how they want. you do NOT get extra Kudo's for playing with your fingers.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by greysonsmith

Im not saying that you shouldn't play with a pick, but I recomend playing with fingers, not only you can get better tone(IMO) and you can control it with easier with your technique, but it helps if you are a slapper or a tapper. In all honesty try to do both.
Quote by greysonsmith

Actually it can be surprizingly different. You don't have to argue with the tight spacing of 6 strings really damn close together, and there are alot of really advance picking techniques based on drum rythms. Like playing Triplets and the like.

Remember fellow Bassist, a pic is fine too! It just makes a really different tone. (To be honest, I like the way it sounds in faster songs.)
i think what i'm going to do is play with a pick just starting out and then start working on fingerstyle

i played finger and pickstyle on my guitar but fingerstyle on the bass is different
thanks for the help everyone
anything else?
It took me a few days to get my finger srength back but I was originally a bassist. It may take you a couple weeks.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Quote by greysonsmith
i think what i'm going to do is play with a pick just starting out and then start working on fingerstyle

i played finger and pickstyle on my guitar but fingerstyle on the bass is different
thanks for the help everyone
anything else?

Great choice, don't let people persuade you one way or the other just because they like it better. Play both and see how you like it.
ive been playing guitar for 2 years and and never learnt bass or anything but i recently started playing my sisters bass and i can slap and pop and play really fast metal with a pick
i play better on bass than kids at my school who have been playing for 5 years so sometimes guitarist make better bassists
...or more arrogant ones...
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
...or more arrogant ones...

Thank you!

I mean get over yourself - sonds like you can play some fast root notes. Wow, you're a serious bassist. Dont tell me, you chuck in a 5th when you feel like going crazy and really showing your chops eh?
Quote by dylan87654321
ive been playing guitar for 2 years and and never learnt bass or anything but i recently started playing my sisters bass and i can slap and pop and play really fast metal with a pick
i play better on bass than kids at my school who have been playing for 5 years so sometimes guitarist make better bassists

I needed some comedy this morning
Quote by greysonsmith
to switch from electric guitar to bass?
I really want to play bass because everyone plays the guitar and i've been playing it for 2 years and have gotten nowhere.
Has anyone else switched? How hard of a transition is it?
Switched Saturday gigged Friday.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Applehead
Thank you!

I mean get over yourself - sonds like you can play some fast root notes. Wow, you're a serious bassist. Dont tell me, you chuck in a 5th when you feel like going crazy and really showing your chops eh?

:0 MY GOD! a 5th!

MAD MAN! ****ING MAD MAN!

D: GET AWAY FROM ME YOU ****ING CRAZY PERSON YOU!

NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE DOING WALKING BASSLINES! DDD:

SOMBODY STOP THIS CRAZY BASTARD!
Quote by Fast_Bear
:0 MY GOD! a 5th!
D: GET AWAY FROM ME YOU ****ING CRAZY PERSON YOU!
NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE DOING WALKING BASSLINES! DDD:
SOMBODY STOP THIS CRAZY BASTARD!
So a young band the other night, the Bassist warmed up with loads of flash popping and slapping, then they played their set and he root bashed throughout the Beatles 'Back In The USSR; not one single riff anywhere.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn