Poll: Can instrumentals have meaning?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can instrumentals have meaning?
Yes
104 96%
No
4 4%
Voters: 108.
so today me and my friend got in a little argument on whether or not instrumentals can have a meaning. i say that they can and he says they cant. but remember he doesnt play an instrument so doesnt have the passion for music as much as i do.

so what do you say. Can instruments speak and tell a story just through notes? what do you think
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Music is only music if it doesnt have words. If its got words, its poetry. Thats my Philosophy. In otherwords, Intrumentals have just as much meaning as music with words in it.
Of course they can, and they do, a lot of my favorite songs are instrumental, your friend just hasn't listened to the right instrumentals
God yes, listen to "maggot brain" by the funkadelics and tell me that has no feeling.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Last edited by Anything Goes at Jan 22, 2007,
clearly instrumentals have meanings. Does your friend think that all the classical composers lacked meanings to thier songs?
Quote by Anything Goes
God yes, listen to "maggot brain" by the funkadelics and tell that has no feeling.

You know, as much as people talk about how great an instrumental that is, I still don't really like it, not to say it's bad though
Instrumentals are the best kind of songs...
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
I voted No. It cant have meaning, although it can express a certain feeling/mood. And it can mean something to you!
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

80% of my songs are instrumentals, and they ALL have meanings. For example, if you listen to "Cliffs of Dover", you can tell the artist was feeling happy. If you listen to a song like "Electric Tears", you can feel an artists pain.

Instrumentals are views into the soul.
dude, what do you think MUSIC IS??!?!?!?!?!? WTF is wrong with kids these's days?!?!?
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Quote by evilchuck
You know, as much as people talk about how great an instrumental that is, I still don't really like it, not to say it's bad though

Meh, to each his own.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
What's with people and ****ing lyrics? Music is MUSIC, man.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by feltgrape
I voted No. It cant have meaning, although it can express a certain feeling/mood. And it can mean something to you!

This, people, is a contradiction.
well the way he sees it is that its nothing but s bunch of notes put together. i say its a form of art like a picture. like the saying a picture says a thousand words i say an instrumental says one hundered thousand words. it has emotion and feeling just like any other thing
Nothing can have meaning without the vocoded voice of a twelve-year-old japanese girl. That's what DDR taught me anyway.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
I think Instrumentals don't have meanings, But then again, you can feel the mood or feelings it expresses though. For example, if you were watching a movie with a sad scene, an instrumental music with a sad mood will follow sometimes.
Quote by Dæmönika
This, people, is a contradiction.

I think we was saying music can make you feel a certain way, but it cant be a feeling.
some operas don't have lyrics, meaning the music alone tells the story. listen to "the rite of spring" by igor stravinsky. no words, but there is a very clear-cut story.
Quote by RawrDemon
Hey there! My name is Steve Vai. Tell your friend to go tie his dick to a railroad track.

will do
Quote by evilchuck
Of course they can, and they do, a lot of my favorite songs are instrumental, your friend just hasn't listened to the right instrumentals

clearly, hes beeen listening to buckethead.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Quote by RawrDemon
Hey there! My name is Steve Vai. Tell your friend to go tie his dick to a railroad track.

Wow, you're a shitty songwriter.
Who in there right mind doesn't think music can convey feeling without words? There is a reason songs change the mood a person is in and its not the lyrics being sung.
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
**** yeah they can, example, Any Colour You Like... The meaning of "Any Colour You Like" is not as clear as the other songs, but it is thought to represent the fear of taking risks when making choices - the song title came from an answer frequently given by a studio technician to questions put to him: "You can have it any colour you like," which was a reference to Henry Ford's description of the Model T: "You can have it any color you like, as long as it's black. Tell your friend to shove lyrics up his ass.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Dimebag22
so today me and my friend got in a little argument on whether or not instrumentals can have a meaning. i say that they can and he says they cant. but remember he doesnt play an instrument so doesnt have the passion for music as much as i do.

so what do you say. Can instruments speak and tell a story just through notes? what do you think

of course they can
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
Methinks people are confusing "feeling" with "meaning".

Evoking a particular feeling isn't the same as communicating a explicit narrative or a specific idea.

Can instrumentals evoke feelings? Of course. No one thinks they can't.

But can instrumental music express a particular meaning? No. They can be written with the intent or inspiration of something specific, like Tchaikovsky's Overture 1812, Stravinsky's Rites of Spring, Wagner's operas, or Strauss' tone poems, but the listener can't identify these without contextual background knowledge.
TO LIVE IS TO DIE!!!!

the name tells it all
“Broken hearts never mend”.
But fools never move on.
There are so many great instrumental bands and songs. I think the music is more powerful in an instrumental song because its too easy normally to focus on the words and get the meaning from them. Kyuss, Karma to Burn, Pelican and Black Sabbath are some of my favourite bands that know how to use an instrumental song.
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
Music is only music if it doesnt have words. If its got words, its poetry. Thats my Philosophy. In otherwords, Intrumentals have just as much meaning as music with words in it.

+1

threadstarter: tell your retarded friend that by his reasoning that...hell theres no point explaining it......just call him a retard and hit him
^^^+500 lol

Anyway for me an easy yes.....Rubina, Love Thing, Meaning Of Love and well god knows how many other Satch songs, not to mention Lenny by Stevie Ray Vaughan.....tell your mate to actually listen, not just hear a bunch of random notes, tell him to really listen closely.....that's how I have gotten most of my mates to appreciate meaningful instrumentals
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
the problem with instrumentals, that not everyone can relate, this type of music is somehow more appealling to those people who are musically inclined/musicians...
one should not feel threatened by opinions contrary to his own