Here's some pics of a pickup I built for my viola. EVIL!!! Sounds all crackily right now because I still need to shield some stuff. It's still pretty sweet.

This here is the mosquito repellant watch I made the pickup out of.

These are its innards.

This is the finished product.

Here's a closer look.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
why didn't you put the pots inside the body? will that affect the sound?

Bugspray watch, huh? can you distort it? i would like to have one of these, it sounds like "Teh pwnage"
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
why didn't you put the pots inside the body? will that affect the sound?

Bugspray watch, huh? can you distort it? i would like to have one of these, it sounds like "Teh pwnage"

Not a bugspray watch. It's a watch that makes an irritating high pitched noise. I didn't stick the pot inside the body because that would involve taking the viola apart by the seams or drilling some holes which I don't want to do.
Quote by Kensai
No clips due to lack of recording equipment and I don't have any sweet pieces of music with me at the moment.
Quote by Kensai
I like it!

Lol @ the random tone knob.

Heh.

It's pretty ghetto, but hey.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
looks nice.

and BTW, who the hell plays a viola?
thats the neglected family member of the strings
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
looks nice.

A friend of mine does. It's pretty cool. Not that I can tell it from any other instrument that looks remotely like it. But it's still cool. Yeah.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
i was being sarcastic, i know someone who does, but hardly anyone plays a viola. its the one between the violin, and cello
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
...One of my friends plays the viola. She gets extremely pissed off when people mistake it for a violin.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by tubadude
looks nice.

Neglect is the very reason I play it. Someone has to.

The tone knob isn't just random though. If I don't have a tone knob on it the highs are incredibly piercing. I think I'll replace it with a resistor later though.
Quote by Kensai
thats not a viola! thats a third violin.
jk
yeah i play cello and that looks pretty cool. its fun to mess around with multi-effect pedals and orchestra intstruments.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Quote by RHCPKicksA$$
thats not a viola! thats a third violin.
jk
yeah i play cello and that looks pretty cool. its fun to mess around with multi-effect pedals and orchestra intstruments.

Lolx. Cello is pretty kick ass. I played that for a while but switched back to viola.
Quote by Kensai
So, what does it sound like???\

EDIT: Sounds crackily....I must have missed that....
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
It sounds good now, but I have no way of recording it. I fixed it with tape and foil.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by jmag
A friend of mine does. It's pretty cool. Not that I can tell it from any other instrument that looks remotely like it. But it's still cool. Yeah.

Thats exactly how I am. I play the string bass, and everybody is like "sweet cello man!" My reaction is usually something along the lines of *cue german accent* "FOCK OFF UND DIE!" *close german accent*, or I just give them the dirtiest look in the world.

Oh and cool pickup man!
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
Ya, I accidently broke it the other day, swinging it around a bit. Any new ideas peoples? What's what I hear? Build a tube preamp for it?
Quote by Kensai