Yes, Hard to describe, but I think it's the sound my band is so far doing (without our other two guitarists.) Last weekend I was possesed by the ghost of Jimi when we were jamming out. I did some solos that sounded badass on tape. I'm gonna re-record the session. We did a psychedelic song, a blues song, and now we're trying to do a punk/blues thing.

Anyway, basically it's kinda B.B. King meets Jimi Hendrix meets Ramones.
Genre exist already? and if so, does it sell?
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Last edited by TheGuitarDreams at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
You ever Hear of Chuck Berry?

Hell yeah.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
It sells.

My band is a cross between blues, punk and glam... (what is jokingly referred to as the blank genre by some of the more cretinous band members - ie everyone) and jethro tull.

I'm heavily influenced by the tull atm, they're REALLY frightening. None of this pussy horrorpunx shite.

The first time I listened to the Misfits I did NOT go into a fit. I rest my case.

I do however stand by my original decision that led zepellin and the who are ****s who can go **** themselves.

I wasted a year of my life trying to be original. In the end i came to the decision that there IS nothing original that can be possibly done, so I decided to just make my stuff creative and interesting. Seems to be working, too.

Such a concept would make an awesome concept album, but I gots to finish my one on the cold war first.
Check out:

Mystery Girls
Reigning Sound
Oblivians
Thomas Function
King Khan and BBQ
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Thanks guys. I think my bands first ep will come out next month.

Will include a cover of Jimi's "Star Spangled Banner" performed by me.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
interesting, because that's the band that i want to start. because when i was a little kid i loved the who, led zeppelin, rolling stones, hendrix, sabbath, pink floyd the dead, all that stuff. and then i got into punk and only played crappy three-chord punk on my guitar for a year. then i got into the blues, and started playing basic blues scales and all that, and mixed it with punk and (i think) it sounds great. (cuz i have a lot of fun jammin on my guitar more than ever)
a punk band that had a lot of blues influence was Fear. just thought i'd mention that
Quote by Mav-16
interesting, because that's the band that i want to start. because when i was a little kid i loved the who, led zeppelin, rolling stones, hendrix, sabbath, pink floyd the dead, all that stuff. and then i got into punk and only played crappy three-chord punk on my guitar for a year. then i got into the blues, and started playing basic blues scales and all that, and mixed it with punk and (i think) it sounds great. (cuz i have a lot of fun jammin on my guitar more than ever)
a punk band that had a lot of blues influence was Fear. just thought i'd mention that

If you only lived a bit closer, we could start an awesome rock & roll band. I've been trying to find people to do a garage rock/punk thing but no one seems interested around here.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
yeah, i am starting a band in the same vein as well. i got a drummer and a singer lined up. I am the only guitarist though...which I prefer. my drummer's brother play da bass, so when we record sunday, he probably will play the bass, or maybe i will...idk we just jamed with us three so far.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
hellz yeah. my other friends got a project they want me to play bass for them for...that's more hardcore, i ain't writing for that, just basslines...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
If you don't already, listen to the Dead Boys. That would be a really good influence for this type of thing. Just make sure you keep the urgency and energy in the music, the lack of that makes a lot of "classic rock" sounding bands that come out today suck (for example, Wolfmother, Silvertide).
Quote by hardrock1315
If you don't already, listen to the Dead Boys. That would be a really good influence for this type of thing. Just make sure you keep the urgency and energy in the music, the lack of that makes a lot of "classic rock" sounding bands that come out today suck (for example, Wolfmother, Silvertide).

Yeah, I've been listening to the Dead Boys a lot lately and I want to make sure I don't end up sounding like the Strokes.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
Yeah, I've been listening to the Dead Boys a lot lately and I want to make sure I don't end up sounding like the Strokes.

Haha yeah. The Strokes are okay at first until you realize how boring they are.
Yeah i've never been a fan of the strokes, they bore the hell outta me. The Dead Boys rule tho, i love the Guitar and Stive Bators amazing voice. but yeah, it sucks where i live. all the "punk" kids listen to crap and suck at their instruments. i can't find anyone who feels the same on music. it really SUCKS
The problem with the strokes is that they don't hit the strings enough... they just stroke them.

Add lame fashion, incestuous lyrics and julian casablanca's slow monotnous flat voice, and you've overcome your addiction to sleeping pills.

Plus they wasted all their good songs on their first album.

This is what we call "inept musicianship".

People are quick to praise raw songwriting skill, but induitably overlook consistency.
Quote by Mav-16
Yeah i've never been a fan of the strokes, they bore the hell outta me. The Dead Boys rule tho, i love the Guitar and Stive Bators amazing voice. but yeah, it sucks where i live. all the "punk" kids listen to crap and suck at their instruments. i can't find anyone who feels the same on music. it really SUCKS

Rohnert Park is a bit north of the bay area right?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by yeahyeah
Rohnert Park is a bit north of the bay area right?

yes, its in sonoma county, which is north of marin county, which connects the golden gate bridge.
Quote by Mav-16
yes, its in sonoma county, which is north of marin county, which connects the golden gate bridge.

Do you guys have much of a scene there? I live in Stockton and local music hasn't been doing so well cause of venues closing all the time.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by yeahyeah
Do you guys have much of a scene there? I live in Stockton and local music hasn't been doing so well cause of venues closing all the time.

not really, the scene majors in mainly metal-core or "HARDCORE" and the screamo bands(which i HATE) then theres the street punk bands that suck, theres a couple good crust bands, but most of em suck, and thrash metal seems to be making some sort of comeback, but most of those bands suck also. i could never really get into metal too much i don't know why.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
I'm trying to keep track of all the areas with good music scenes in CA so that when I transfer to a four year school I don't end up somewhere with no music. That probably shouldn't be my primary concern when picking a school though...
EDIT: I totally misread the "why" in your post, I thought you were asking why I asked, oh well.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
well, that saves me from asking that question, but the best scene is San Francisco, either that or L.A., but i HATE L.A.
isnt petaluma in sonoma county? theres always shows at the phoenix
Quote by Prince
isnt petaluma in sonoma county? theres always shows at the phoenix

yeah but the phoenix has been having crappy shows for a wile now. the only good ones were the business, but they got banned because of a huge nazi vs sharp fight, and blitz played a cou ple weeks ago and thats about it. other than that its usally crappy wanna be pantera bands or worse metal-core. and all the street punk bands that would play (they'd play in santa rosa instead anyway) suck cuz i don't like street punk.
theres a good amount of shitty street punk shows, but there can also be some pretty good bands playing with them.
Prince, where do you live?

Quote by Mav-16
well, that saves me from asking that question, but the best scene is San Francisco, either that or L.A., but i HATE L.A.

San Francisco is way better than LA, people-wise. People from Los Angeles suck.

Not all of them, of course.
Quote by Prince
theres a good amount of shitty street punk shows, but there can also be some pretty good bands playing with them.

exactly, thats why "drinking and waiting outside" was so happily invented
I'm always telling old ex-punk friends of mine who say "I got bored with the 3 chord punk. Now I listen to classic rock." that they could have listened to both, if they had taken 5 minutes to find it.

(Plus, let's be honest. It's just a copout on their part. They wanted to be "normal" and punk wasn't getting them the girls that being a dinosaur rocker does.)

Check out the Doctors Of Madness for some psychedelic bluesy punk from '77.

If you want real bluesy punk, check out Wayne County songs, particulary "Stuck On You" and "F*ck Off".
Also, Radio Birdman mix a bit of the "classic rock" (if you consider early BOC, Stooges and MC5 "classic rock" sound with punk.

The band that I've found that mixes the most classic rock with punk is Dead Fingers Talk.
It's pretty obvious that they were a typical classic rock band that went "punk", in order to get a chance to play live, back in '77.
Quote by the glue man

San Francisco is way better than LA, people-wise. People from Los Angeles suck.

exactly

and because i've been to LA like once and i hated it, and i've been to san francisco at least 500 times in my life.
The only thing I like about so cal is Disneyland, and thats ****ing expensive.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
arent they, i just got the sonic prayer jam 10" i love it. since the whole thing is one jam you know.
Quote by ratmjb1212
i wanna go to so cal.

WHY
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
arent they, i just got the sonic prayer jam 10" i love it. since the whole thing is one jam you know.

Yeah, it's sick. They're definitely the most punk rock jam band around, if that makes sense. I remember I heard about them a few years ago in a Transworld Skateboarding magazine, and they sounded cool to me, so I checked em out, and they were awesome. One of the coolest things from that interview was the drummer told this story about how his drumstick broke and hit a skinhead in the eye or something, and then most of his set broke, but he kept playing. I'll have to find that article now.

Have you heard the members' other bands? Members from Nebula, Hot Snakes, and Rocket From the Crypt, Chicano Christ, and a bunch of other bands are in Earthless, even if the drummer is the one in most of the other bands.