When I use my fingers (most the time except anesthesia by metallica) my thumb has to be set of the end of the fret board at about the 21st fret on a 24 fret bass.
Where can i put my thumb so my fingers can have some force behing them while playing closer to the bridge?
(dont say the pick ups because mine are laid inside the actual body)
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
honestly... it'd be hard to say not knowing what kinda bass you have... but you might be able to train your self to not have to rely on anything for your thumb to rest on...
other strings except when you're on the E.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
yeah, type of bass would be nice. if you're that desperate, get a thumbrest. or make one out of a hunk of wood or plastic
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I'm going to assume you have a line6 or perhaps one with a built in speaker, but as for thumb resting place, end of fret board, convert to a slap only method or use the low e when your playing on other strings.
well its a brownsville (made for samash only)
brownsville bass pak 1
(dont call my bass cheap. i know it is but in the end, playing the music is the important part)
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
I use the string above the string I play on, except for when i'm playing on E. It'll take some getting used to, but after a while it becomes second nature.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
where do you rest for the E?
im playing a lot of black dahlia, slayer, metal.
lots of it is on the E, Eb, D, C.
the thick one lol
im alson learning guitar and bass doorle by metallica and he lests and pen E ring as he plays G an octave high (12th fret dur da dur)
Well for playing the E i normally rest my thumb on the pickup, but since that's not an option for you, I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

Things to come:
corner of the fretboard
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Why are your pickups in the body? From the looks of that picture, it has a P and a J pickup with non-exposed pole covers - they pickups should be raised, at least a little bit if not a lot.

Anyway, thumb placement is a biggy. Some people feel that you should use a "floating" technique, where you don't rely on something to hold your thumb. Others feel that you should rest it on the pickups all the time. And some others feel you should rest it on the pickup (when playing on the E or B) and then rest it on the string above the one you're playing if you play on any others.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
I always have my fingers anchored to the Pup. It just comes naturally.
Try having it on the string above then floating for the E... or just get a thumbrest and DIY it in there.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Since it's a cheap bass (not knocking it) I would buy a thumb rest and put it on, will do wonders for you.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Whell when I play on anything but my Bass string I rest my thumb on the other strings, but when I paly on my E or B string (depending on the Bass) I rest my arm on the body of the Bass to be honest, and I use that to anchor myself.
but... what do you do when you have to let a string ring?
what about that huh?
Quote by Dwardom
but... what do you do when you have to let a string ring?
what about that huh?

Then you don't have your fingers on it...duh

Things to come:
w/e man i got my help. thanks to everyone
99% of the time, my thumb is on the E string, but if im going to be consistently playing on the D and G strings, my finger is on the A

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Well, having insanely long bass player fingers, I can anchor my wrist down on the body., or on the top of the body if the bass is small enough.

Love the Low end