I've been looking at basses.. i curently own an Ibanez Rd-300 that i am completely satisfied with.. and its my sentimental attached bass.. would never sell it.. but just curiously... is the P bass really that much different than the J bass.. i mean .. the body is different... but sound? .. they cant sound that much different.. just curious.. i'm partial to the J bass curves.. i like my basses curvy .. like my women
i think the Jazz bass looks stupid and i like the tone of the Precision better

but thats just me
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
The P-Bass has a more thumpy/boomy sound, and it has less tone variety. The neck to most is uncomfortable and bulky. The Jazz Bass on the other hand has a large variety of tones and the neck is thin which makes playing easier.

Personally, I'd get the Deluxe P-Bass which is the mix of the two. So you can get that thumpy sound of the P-Bass and the thin/bright sound of the Jazz Bass.
I don't know. I love em both. If I had an Ampeg SVT with my P-Bass I would probably jizz my pants.

Try em both out and decide for yourself.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
the jazz bass is sexier, has a thinner easier to play neck and more tonal variation but i find it can be a bit trebley
the p bass has a fatter neck which is only really a benifit if you have big hands or thats just your thing and has a more punchy tone
personally i'd go with the jazz but a very good compramise is the mark hoppus sig its got a sexy jazz bass body, sd quater pound p bass pickup but it has a pa bass neck only downside
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
i like both, but recently got an active jazz bass deluxe which blows them both out of the water. although the others have their own unique qualities, i love the punchynes of the pbass, it was hard to chose between the two
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quote by somewhat_here

i wish i was fat so i can buy xxl clothes during liquidation
Jazz FTW

/Thread
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
ive always prefered the neck of a jazz bass but i would go for a p-bass, they sound punchy and dynamic; jazz basses i find uninspiring and overrated, but that's just my opinion
both have their fine points. I currently own a Jazz and will be soon replacing the neck with a Precision neck, cuz I've got huge hands and the twig-necks on the Jazz basses force me to cramp up my hand. I just need to find a good neck on ebay; I would prefer a maple fingerboard but I guess rosewood would also be fine.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Nahhh, P-Bass FTW, the thump you get from the P is awesome, i also love the neck more than a jazz bass' (which is also very good)
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
P-Basses have a 1.625" nut width (and some reissues even have a 1.75" nut width) while J-Basses have a 1.5" nut width. P-Basses are traditionally 'the' rock bass. Listen to Pink Floyd, and The Who (before Quadrophenia). For a good example of what a J-Bass sounds like, listen to Led Zeppelin (anything before Presence).

J-Basses have the nice distinction of having 2 pickups, so you can solo the bridge pickup (listen to Jaco Pastorius) or the neck pickup (which sounds enough like a Precision). When soloing the pickups, you DO get some hum.
If you were in a fight, a P-bass is like getting punched, a J-bass is like getting slapped.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Actually it's more like a P-bass is a Boxer and a J bass is a Kung Fu master. Both are good but the Kung Fu master would clearly win. Because it can do more things. Same thing with a J bass.

but cant quite throw a punch like the boxer
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
The J sounds more like an instrument than a drone like the P does
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!