Page 1 of 2
I dont know if that is the right phrase, but heres the deal. My band has a gig in 3 weeks. And my lead guitarist is saving up for an SG, but he wont have enough $$$ by the time the gig comes. Could it be possible that he buys an SG at Guitar Center, use it for the gig, and bring it back without them asking any questions and getting all the money back? Thanks in advance.
I would say if he bought it on credit and then brought it back like the next day because he "changed his mind", they would be none the wiser.
the lesser known of the 4
have him walk into the store, cash in wallet, and tell whoevers working "I want that guitar, and i have so and so amount of money, can we make it work?". it just depends on how much of a different there is.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Why doesnt he just buy it for 15 bucks a month, then pay it off all at once when he finally gets the money.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
well, if he is $100 short, pay a kiddie $5 to go knock the guitar over so that it gets a scratch and dint discount. Or you could look into blem guitars.
dude they will take it back no questions asked within 30 days. i know a salesman there and he gave me good discounts, but he told me about how some ppl buy guitars just for photoshoots or gigs, then bring them back in like a week. they dont care, theyre mostly musicians too lol, they would do the same and im sure they do.
Well Enough Alone
^^ yeah blems can be like $100 cheaper and what the hell its gonna get scratched up eventually anyways.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Quote by guitardude11
dude they will take it back no questions asked within 30 days. i know a salesman there and he gave me good discounts, but he told me about how some ppl buy guitars just for photoshoots or gigs, then bring them back in like a week. they dont care, theyre mostly musicians too lol, they would do the same and im sure they do.

Exactly right. Just make sure he brings it back within 30 days of purchase, doesn't damage it and keeps the receipt. They HAVE to take it back and refund the money, no questions asked.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Whats wrong with the guitar he has now? If he is good enough, he wont need an SG to please the crowd...
ESP Fan
Owner Of:
ESP Standard Horizon NT II transparent Cherry
As long as there is no physical damage or signs of tinkering with the insides it will be no questions asked.
the lesser known of the 4
seriously, this is retarded.

If you play a gig, there's a good chance it'll get scratched. then you'll have to pay for it. also, posting what you intend to do on the internet was a nice touch, since that'll obviously help with your subterfuge and not alert anyone at all to your scam.

either buy a cheaper guitar, or rent or borrow one. or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Finance it.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
lol half of these guys are being jerks! Thats the problem here on UG! Lets look at his question and then compare to what stupid things people said:
Quote by jumi1174
Could it be possible that he buys an SG at Guitar Center, use it for the gig, and bring it back without them asking any questions and getting all the money back?

One Guys says:
Why doesnt he just buy it for 15 bucks a month, then pay it off all at once when he finally gets the money.
Another guy says:
well, if he is $100 short, pay a kiddie $5 to go knock the guitar over so that it gets a scratch and dint discount. Or you could look into blem guitars.
Another says:
Finance it.

None of those answered his question! His question was "will they do it?" Not, "Should he save up for the guitar" or "should he buy a blem"

My point is stop being idiots. Your not helping in any way, or contributing to the topic.

Now that my rant is over,
Yes they should allow you to bring it back up to 30 days, just dont tell them that you used it for a gig, just say that you "changed your mind". Also, if you get it scratched, and they see it, they probably wont let you.
^ I fail to see how that's any different to what I said. Under Murphy's Law, if you try to do that, it'll get scratched.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
seriously, this is retarded.

If you play a gig, there's a good chance it'll get scratched. then you'll have to pay for it. also, posting what you intend to do on the internet was a nice touch, since that'll obviously help with your subterfuge and not alert anyone at all to your scam.

either buy a cheaper guitar, or rent or borrow one. or something like that.

Threre's no reason for anyone to get their panties in a twist over this, getting it through one show without scratching it shouldn't be that huge of a challenge. Posting this online shouldn't make bit of difference either. Even if they could somehow miraculously trace the post back to his IP, they HAVE to take it back if it's undamaged and is returned within 30 days with the receipt.

I did the exact same thing once when my band was in the studio. I discovered my main guitar had some intonation problems that couldn't be fixed quickly and the clock was running; I went to GC, put a nice Les Paul Custom on my credit card, finished my recording session and returned it for a full refund. Why rent a guitar when he has the perfect way to "borrow" a great guitar for free?
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
^ studio time is different to a gig.

And it's also extremely risky. what if you'd dropped it on the way back?

To be honest, I don't care what he does. It's just there are a lot of kids on this site who don't seem to understand how finances work etc., and I'm just letting him know it's a risk. I know I wouldn't do it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why does he need a new guitar for the gig? Cant he just use his old one?
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Yes, there is an element of risk involved. That said, how hard is it to just treat the guitar with care? I've been playing shows since 1985 and have yet to drop one of my guitars.
^ problem is, at a gig you could have out of control audience members, etc., someone could spill a beer on it. it's not necessarily solely down to you (as it might be in the studio).

Unlikely, perhaps, but if having to pay for the guitar means you default on your mortgage and get turfed out of your house, then it's a risk not worth taking, frankly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just finance it. If he wants it so bad, just pay $15 a month and pay the rest off when he has it.

I dont see why he NEEDS an SG for a gig....
^^ my pictures? you mean my avatar?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
WHats great is Dave Mc is like maturer than all of you guys but looking at his pictures he's what?
15-16.

Right...
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Life is full of risks. Unless the show is at some place where audience members normally get up on the stage with the musicians, I say just grow a pair and go for it.

Bazilisck311, what model of Jem do you have? Any pics?
Quote by Neon Knight
Why does he need a new guitar for the gig? Cant he just use his old one?

Nuff said. I agree with Dave on it's a stupid idea, but is it strictly necessary to get him a better guitar anyway? You'll get away with playing one gig on a Squier, or whatever he's got atm.

If you're absolutely convinced that having an SG will make you AC/DC, talk to Guitar Center about paying in instalments.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by fatgraymatt
Life is full of risks. Unless the show is at some place where audience members normally get up on the stage with the musicians, I say just grow a pair and go for it.

Bazilisck311, what model of Jem do you have? Any pics?

Ibanez JEM 7VWH and you bet your ass I do

The case smells like Lathender:

Lined up next to the Schecter:
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
To get a guitar just to use for a show then return it is a dick move. Period.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Sweetness. I used to have a VWH and a Blue Sparkle but finances made it necessary to sell them both a couple of months ago . I still have my old PBK model though, that one has such a killer neck that I'll NEVER get rid of it. Ibanez have great QC on the JEM line, I've yet to play one that was anything less than outstanding. Nice axes, man!
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by Mudder
To get a guitar just to use for a show then return it is a dick move. Period.

Who's he hurting?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
No the pictures i've seen of you.

Saw 'em somewhere, i'm sure you was like 16 in them/

he cant post pictures, he has no camera

and he is 24. . .
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by fatgraymatt
Sweetness. I used to have a VWH and a Blue Sparkle but finances made it necessary to sell them both a couple of months ago . I still have my old PBK model though, that one has such a killer neck that I'll NEVER get rid of it. Ibanez have great QC on the JEM line, I've yet to play one that was anything less than outstanding. Nice axes, man!

Ouch, truely a loss man - they always tell you it gets easier with time, but it never does ;-)

Thanks! Had my eyes set on a JS1200 at first - they're both two almost completely different instruments! The JEM just felt more natural and it's almost like I was playing with a whole lot less tension. I can never seem to dive the thing out of tune, even when the bar is touching the body!
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
There are some fools on the UG bandwagon.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
No the pictures i've seen of you.

Saw 'em somewhere, i'm sure you was like 16 in them/

Rest my case.
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
You're best bet is to try to make a deal with them. Walk in with the exact amount of money you have at the time and see if they'll take it. Damaging guitars with the intent to have them sell it to you cheaper is a really crappy way to operate. Returning the guitar isn't really that big of a deal, Guitar Center does that all of the time. They'll just put it back on the shelf with the same price tag even if it is damaged/scratched/etc. If you go extreme and break the neck off or something, then they won't take it back, but minor damage, they really couldn't give two shakes about (I know 6 people that currently work for GC that would agree).
Quote by CORT noob

very good idea ... heh most sensiable imo
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Yup, best locking trem on the market IMO. You can beat the hell out of them and they just stay in tune perfectly. I used to own an S470FM and really liked it but I'm a fairly big guy and was never totally comfortable with how small the body was.

PS, sorry for the thread highjack.
Page 1 of 2