Okay so I just got a new guitar on Saturday but when I got it home I noticed that a yucky clanging sound was coming out of certain frets (mostly lower) on certain strings. I can't play the lowest F on the low E string without getting this buzzy clanging.
Anyone know what the problem is and if it's fixable? Does it have something to do with the strings or the guitar itself, because I can't seem to find anything wrong with the strings.

edit: it's a Cort KX5 if that's relevant.
double-edit: and I didn't just start playing guitar on Saturday, this is NOT my first guitar
Last edited by asbestospie at Jan 22, 2007,
It's the bridge. I suggest that you take it somewhere to have them adjust it, because it's not the easiest to do right. I'm assuming this is your first, and you're just now learning, seeing as this is a common problem among newer guitar players. Once you learn how to adjust the bridge and he saddles, you'll be fine, it won't be a problem. What kind of guitar is it?

EDIT: The guitar doesn't matter. What I mean is, what kind of bridge? Is there a tremolo bar, is it just a regular bridge, is it a 2-peice bridge, or any other type I'm missing?

Another edit: When I say it's the bridge, it's just not correctly adjusted. There's most likely nothing wrong with the bridge, it needs to be adjusted. The action is low, due to the bridge being out of balance or whatever the word is I'm looking for.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Last edited by E V H 5150 at Jan 22, 2007,
i think its probably the action (how far the string is away from the fretboard). go to a guitar shop and let them fix it.. (if you don't know how to do it that is).. i don't know much about it myself
Quote by MyGuitarAndMe

voodoo child - jimi hendrix (good song by a crap guitarist)
nothing else matters - metalica (closest they'll ever come to true metal)
can't stop - rhcp (john is not god)
fix you - coldplay (the shredding is top)
Quote by E V H 5150
It's the bridge. I suggest that you take it somewhere to have them adjust it, because it's not the easiest to do right. I'm assuming this is your first, and you're just now learning, seeing as this is a common problem among newer guitar players. Once you learn how to adjust the bridge and he saddles, you'll be fine, it won't be a problem. What kind of guitar is it?

EDIT: The guitar doesn't matter. What I mean is, what kind of bridge? Is there a tremolo bar, is it just a regular bridge, is it a 2-peice bridge, or any other type I'm missing?

Another edit: When I say it's the bridge, it's just not correctly adjusted. There's most likely nothing wrong with the bridge, it needs to be adjusted. The action is low, due to the bridge being out of balance or whatever the word is I'm looking for.

Quote by guitarer
i think its probably the action (how far the string is away from the fretboard). go to a guitar shop and let them fix it.. (if you don't know how to do it that is).. i don't know much about it myself

I took a look and it does have unusually low action... I'll look into that.
yeah id say action as well...
what that means is that the strings are too low. You can adjust the height of the bridge, i.e. raise the bridge higher therefore making the strings further away from the fretboard.
Strings are fine although sometimes, older strings have guck stuck to it and that could cause it as well.
Raise the bridge by like 1-2 mm it should be fine