Page 1 of 3
ok in new zealend when i was travelling and this story happened on the radio and it was about the best and worst of americas (im australian and have never been there) but anyway this one guy called and said the best bit about america is they know so much about their own country/themselves and the worst bit about them is they now nothing about other countries

another guy called he said around the same thing for the best bit about them but the worst bit is they think everyone would flock to their country if they opened up there boarders but really most people go their for the curiosity the only people that woud go there to live really would be people from poor countries that can't afford food or anything in the country

sorry to the americans out there but is this true and what does everyone else think?
Quote by beetroot10
ok in new zealend when i was travelling and this story happened on the radio and it was about the best and worst of americas (im australian and have never been there) but anyway this one guy called and said the best bit about america is they know so much about their own country/themselves and the worst bit about them is they now nothing about other countries

another guy called he said around the same thing for the best bit about them but the worst bit is they think everyone would flock to their country if they opened up there boarders but really most people go their for the curiosity the only people that woud go there to live really would be people from poor countries that can't afford food or anything in the country

sorry to the americans out there but is this true and what does everyone else think?

I don't think it's true, I believe I'm rather worldy and cultured, contrary to popular belief.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
oh yeah i dont mean this to all americas and this is just what i heard on radio but i thought about it
Quote by beetroot10

Do they have proper schooling in Australia?
The problem with stereotyping is that it is rarely accurate. Most Americans do know a lot about other countries. We people in Australia and New Zealand are just clinging to that belief because thats what they were like when they came over here in WWII.

Id say the only thing that annoys me about americans is that many of the younger ones seam to have the idea that the internet is theirs and anyody else on the net is trespassing
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Quote by Gyroscope

Only one of the words you highlighted was spelt incorrectly. LOL!
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein

Quote by CowboyUp

Quote by Aussie Ghost
The problem with stereotyping is that it is rarely accurate. Most Americans do know a lot about other countries. We people in Australia and New Zealand are just clinging to that belief because thats what they were like when they came over here in WWII.

Id say the only thing that annoys me about americans is that many of the younger ones seam to have the idea that the internet is theirs and anyody else on the net is trespassing

+1

yeah, some americans are like that. and im sure there are some aussies like that too. people are different, same country or different.
Quote by Aussie Ghost
The problem with stereotyping is that it is rarely accurate. Most

that i disagree with... where do you get that idea from?
Quote by Aussie Ghost
Only one of the words you highlighted was spelt incorrectly. LOL!

So? The other ones were used inappropriately.

LOL!
Quote by Gyroscope
So? The other ones were used inappropriately.

LOL!

touch'e salesman
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein

Quote by CowboyUp

Well I have a few friends in USA and according to them, general education is very poor in USA all around. Maybe they're just unlucky to be around stupid people or something, I dunno. Then again, Internet is a fine example of how well are people educated, considering probably at least half of americans can hardly spell...

Heck, I know more than one american who's studying in college and doesn't know the difference between your and you're? It's kind of sad, if you ask me.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Well, I got an A in AP European History and a B in AP US History

Then again, I got a 5 on the AP US History exam and a 4 on the AP Euro exam...

Then again, I'ma fail both the class and the exam for AP American Government this year
Quote by Aussie Ghost

well it was invented here.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
i like to think that i know a decent amount about other countries.

im studying history in college/university right now though, so its hard not to learn about the world.

honestly, i dont think americans get enough credit for the stuff they know about the world. you always see and hear about the ones who make the stupid comments, but never the intelligent ones. in fact, im pretty sure the stupid ones are the minority, they just get the most publicity. it gives a false perception of what americans are like, and what they know.
Quote by daytripper75
i like to think that i know a decent amount about other countries.

im studying history in college/university right now though, so its hard not to learn about the world.

honestly, i dont think americans get enough credit for the stuff they know about the world. you always see and hear about the ones who make the stupid comments, but never the intelligent ones. in fact, im pretty sure the stupid ones are the minority, they just get the most publicity. it gives a false perception of what americans are like, and what they know.
nuh uh! americanz iz STo0PID!
Quote by civildp1

Most of the technology yes, the World Wide Web itself no. Does CERN ring any bells?

Anyway, I'm Australian and I went to school in the States for three years. Most of the stereotypes about the US are complete and utter shit, but a few have a little truth to them. It depends who you ask and where you go, but I did find that Americans knew much more about their own country than Brits or Australians, and less about the rest of the world. Which is by no means necessarily a bad thing unless it's extrapolated to the opinion that the rest of the world doesn't matter or is inferior; which is less common again but you do see.
I think you find it's not that we know more or less about other countries. We basically just don't give a shit, in general. I happen to care what goes on everywhere because I think what is going on in the Middle East and Africa will to some extent affect the future of the human race. I like to think big. Most Americans like to keep things closer to home and worry about only thier community.
i am from the states and it pisses me off every time some little douchebag from another part of the world teabags americans. i think its just jealousy.
Officer Nole07 of the U.G.P.D

Quote by rockybo
Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So some moron put evidence of me exposing her stupidity in her signature, why should I care?
I dunno.
I've seen a few late night and comedy shows where they do the old "man on the street" interview thing.
They ask some college age kids questions about geography and history.
Most of the time I am appalled at the lack of knowledge college kids have these days.
Its pathetic.
Quote by CodeMonk
I dunno.
I've seen a few late night and comedy shows where they do the old "man on the street" interview thing.
They ask some college age kids questions about geography and history.
Most of the time I am appalled at the lack of knowledge college kids have these days.
Its pathetic.

I saw a brilliant one filmed in New York on Australian TV a few years back. They relabelled the countries on a world map and asked people to stick a flag on the country they should invade next. One bloke stuck the flag on "North Korea" (actually Australia), and then after a few seconds mused, "I never realised North Korea was so much bigger than South Korea". The "country" labelled South Korea was, of course, Tasmania.
yeah its funny how they only show the morons when they do those things for comic value.
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Quote by civildp1

That's not technically true. They had military networks but it was hardly the internet, and I think was first developed by an Englishman anyway.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by SavageNights
That's not technically true. They had military networks but it was hardly the internet, and I think was first developed by an Englishman anyway.

Yep, a pom and a Belgian working at CERN.
I started dating this girl here in germany a few years back (I work on an american military installation). I know more about german history than they did. It seems that they would get tought different things at different schools. American schools are actually forced to teach the same material. My point is that americans have the materials to be very well educated, it's just that some choose not to listen.

Having lived in europe for the last 6 years I can make a very well educated opinion on what country I would most want to live in.................. America has more pros than any other country I've been to.
Well, funny fact is that during some sort of a survey they took in 2004 I think was the year, something like 3 out of 10 americans couldn't even find USA on a world map... sad but true. This said, I don't think that education is much better in Europe than in USA, but it's sort of more consistent at least... And ex-Soviet countries seriously pwn Western countries at education (not that it seems to be helping )

And also, grammar. Man, when well over half your nation doesn't know the BASICS of spelling, that's just wrong.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
I was talking to this 14 year old girl from the US and she asked me where I was from, so I said Delhi.
She had no clue where that was. Seriously, what do they teach you guys in school these days? I knew where Washingto was when I was in kindergarten!
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
Americans are typically stupid. Wether that's true or just a stereotype is open for debate but that's their reputation worldwide.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by siddyjain
I was talking to this 14 year old girl from the US and she asked me where I was from, so I said Delhi.
She had no clue where that was. Seriously, what do they teach you guys in school these days? I knew where Washingto was when I was in kindergarten!

your own country? lol
and i new were manchester was when i was four and were scotland was etc loondan france
Quote by Gyroscope

ROFL every yr since i was in yr 3 weve learnt bout aboriginals ... no offence to any aboriginals here. but you guys have a boring history. you guys just get pawned by white guys thats it
“Broken hearts never mend”.
But fools never move on.
I dont really think that america is more stupid than the rest of us, I just think that when a particularly stupid person gets interviewed by a poll or something, everyone likes to draw atention to it. Notice how the news always reports about how dumb some people are but never how cleaver some people are.
SKITTLES
Quote by seokorn
ROFL every yr since i was in yr 3 weve learnt bout aboriginals ... no offence to any aboriginals here. but you guys have a boring history. you guys just get pawned by white guys thats it

Seriously dude, that's pretty racist. We stole their country, it stands to reason we should learn something about their culture.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Well, I have many steryotypes of America, don't flame me, because I know they aren't true, although some might be.
Some include: Being fat, and other crap like fat people sueing mcdonalds.
Being a big ghetto, every one running around with guns in their back pocket, all this rap and drug shit everywhere.
Not very modest, and somewhat arrogant, "God bless America" and taking it upon them selves to reshape Iraq (yes I know that was Bush).

Can't say much though, I haven't really met any really nice yanks, or any assholes so to speak. So I can't really judge.
Quote by sTjImMy83091

You're my new idol.

Quote by Liberation
Mike_rocka_boy, I know this is offtopic, but Id like to commend you on being the smartest 12 year old Ive seen today, you actually know spelling and grammar!
I think the main thing that I think of when i think America is all the nutty bible bashers living over there, you know the ones who treat there kids like crap and beat them, or people who look like normal hard working respectable people until they get pissed off and have absolutly no control over themselves and act fookin crazy! usually because of sumthing to do with bloody religion.. well thats what I see load of late night programmes about here in the UK!!

Dont know if there really are that many of the nutty ones tho!

synth002
Quote by ar73m
Well, funny fact is that during some sort of a survey they took in 2004 I think was the year, something like 3 out of 10 americans couldn't even find USA on a world map... sad but true. This said, I don't think that education is much better in Europe than in USA, but it's sort of more consistent at least... And ex-Soviet countries seriously pwn Western countries at education (not that it seems to be helping )

And also, grammar. Man, when well over half your nation doesn't know the BASICS of spelling, that's just wrong.

Being from the USA I really, really doubt that 3 out of 10 people here cannot find the USA on a map (I'd believe another very well known country, such as the UK, though).
[SIZE=
Page 1 of 3