So i was thinking about upgrading my line 6 hd 75 to the regular hd. but then the spider 3's came out and im confussed on what to buy. the spider 3's look the same to me(specs wise) with the only addition being the presets. i was wondering if anyone has tried a Spider II and a III and tell me if there is any noticable differences. on my spider II i use the insane setting mostly and play metal. thanks
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
If you're upgrading, you may want to actually upgrade, to say, a tube amp.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
not a big fan of tube amps. i thought about it once but i never really found my self wanting a tube amp. any suggestions?
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Cmon Guys, if he doesn't want one he doesn't have to. Some people do like different sound ya know.

Though I must say, I do prefer tubes over solid-state by far.
hey dimebag didnt use tubes and would you flame him
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
I used to have a spider 2, I tried the spider 3, its the same freaking amp. If you want to actually upgrade, get a vetta or hd147. Most or the best Line 6 Amp Models are in the HD, (Uberschall, JCM Silver, 5150 ect). Spiders just have the Line 6 created models, which, IMO sound like ass and is what gives line 6 such a bad rep. If I were in your position, id save for the new JVM.
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
spider 3 sounds a TAD better, i dont mind randall solid states bu ti like 5150s most, im going for a randall tube next
Quote by johnmalkin
Cmon Guys, if he doesn't want one he doesn't have to. Some people do like different sound ya know.

Because usually when people don't want one, it's based on the wrong reasons, like them being hard to maintain (yeah, swap your tubes once every couple years and don't drop it, it's not that hard), and with all the low wattage tube amps, there's no excuse on not getting one because of price, the Epi Valve Jnr is only like $100
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
thats true. my friend doesn like tube amps because of that. but i just dont like them. or i havent found one i like yet. who knows? for now i'll stick with solid-state
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
Quote by Shredlet
hey dimebag didnt use tubes and would you flame him

Ok. I didnt like his tone.

+1 for xifr
Quote by Draind
i was thinking about the HD147. $1,300 tho..haha

Yeah, but better than spending 600 on something your just gonna sell on ebay in the future anyway.

EDIT: Whoops, 600 Canadian Dollars
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
If you're that adamant about staying digital, I'd suggest a POD and a powered PA speaker (apparrently Carvin have something coming out that is very affordable).
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
I don't know man, even though you don't want a tube amp...i'm still going to have to reccomend one man. =\

Sorry.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by xifr
Because usually when people don't want one, it's based on the wrong reasons, like them being hard to maintain (yeah, swap your tubes once every couple years and don't drop it, it's not that hard), and with all the low wattage tube amps, there's no excuse on not getting one because of price, the Epi Valve Jnr is only like $100

agreed. Or you've like tried the volume on about 0.1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
honestly is it really that bad of a problem that i dont like tube amps?
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
Peavey 5150
^ yes. or at least, it is if you haven't tried them under ideal conditions.

have you tried one at full volume?

EDIT: just to clarify, only trying a tube amp at low volume is a bit like judging a ferrarri on how it handles the school run. Sure, it'll probably still feel better than a mini, but you aren't giving it a fair shot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok guys, enough with the valve over SS/digital argument, its pointless and just gets everyone agrivated.

Ive got a fender pro junior, a vox AD30, and a few bass amps, and have tried ALOT of amps, Ive played some very nice digital prosessors, and for metal (because this guy uses the insane setting) with scooped mids, you can get some alright sounds out of them.

even so I prefer a good SS amp over a digital, but thats just because digital sounds a bit boring to me.

(ps. PODs are awful, get a DOD or Boss prosessor, a studio power amp, and a 15" speaker cab, done)
And plunged the long blade through the masking tape, through the cushoning and *splat* right through the center of Waldo Jeffers head, which split slightly, causing little rythmic arcs of red to pulsate gently in the morning sun.
Yessir.

(ps. PODs are awful, get a DOD or Boss prosessor, a studio power amp, and a 15" speaker cab, done)

PODs are pretty nice...IMO. And a 15" speaker for guitar? Yuck.
You should get a Podxt + Atomic amp, its a combo that has a slot for a Podxt and has a tube power amp (either a 112 with 18 or 50 watts, or a 212 with 50 watts).