I switched from 9's to 11's and bending hurts like a ***** after playing about 30 minutes.

Will the pain in the fingers go away again eventually?
you'll get used to it. you'll build finger strength. and calouses.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
If it hurts that bad, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
9's to 11's are a big leap... you should go to 10's or do a half and half
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Dumbass that is a classical guitar, use nylon strings or the neck will crack... and not the kind you were smoking when you wrote this.
Im not even sure what size I use anymore, but it doesnt matter since I can hold burning red metal on the finger tips of my right hand.
Quote by AngelGC
you'll get used to it. you'll build finger strength. and calouses.

This^^
yo.

I BELIEVE
heh... i went straight from 9's to 12's and didnt have any problems... infact i moved down to 11's... beefy slinky's and i LOVE em... great tone... and are easier to play for me...
my guitar originaly came with 9's, then i put 11's and found they were too heavy..now i use 10s and are happy with those
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Quote by fragydig529
Im not even sure what size I use anymore, but it doesnt matter since I can hold burning red metal on the finger tips of my right hand.

so you don't know what size strings you buy? or do you have someone else buy them and put them on for you?

you're such a badass
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
Your fingertips should hurt a bit until callouses build up. Your hand and it's muscles and tendons shouldn't hurt too much, maybe be a bit achy for a while.

FWIW one of the best practice habits I use is to practice scales and alternate picking on my acoustic.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I actually found that when I go up string sizes my fingertips hurt less. I use 12's and my fingertips feel good. But I also have callouses built up.

Are your fingertips peeling really bad, because you could be allergic to nickel, and it could be causing contact dermatitis. Or does cheap jewelry or other cheap metal objects, i.e. belt buckels, metal buttons, give you rashes, if so you are probably allergic to nickel.
If it hurts, then don't do it... I was practicing the November Rain solo for about an hour and I just started playing guitar on Thanksgiving (November... lol =P), so it stings a lot.
~InfernalBrood wuz heer
Quote by AngelGC
so you don't know what size strings you buy? or do you have someone else buy them and put them on for you?

you're such a badass

Haha, nah, that was a joke, saying Ive lost all feeling in my right hand finger tips because they feel like wood. I really use Ernie ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms
I went from 9's to 11's. It hurt at first, mainly my fingers would get tired fast, but it didn't take long to get used to them. Now they are as easy to play as the 9's ever were, and now when I play 9's or 10's they seem way to loose, I try to do a 1/2 step bend and end up doing 1 1/2.
It's all about finger strengh + callouses. Once your fingers are used to heavy guages like 12's, you'll have no problem with any guage really. I'm regretting taking the rout I took. When I first got my electric, it had 11's or 12's on, and it hurt my fingers so much, so after a couple of month,s I moved to 9's and stayed there. My acousitc has 10's, but they are pretty heavy on my fingers, so now, I find it harder fretting notes/chords on my acoustic.

The best thing to do is us the 11's for say 3 or 4 month, then your fingers should be 100% fine with them. Then, you'll find it easier moving up guages, and find lower guages easy.

I went from 9's to my current set up of 13's on my standard/halfstep down tuned carvin and the 17's I use on my Drop/open tuned 5 string epiphone
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Carpmuncher
I actually found that when I go up string sizes my fingertips hurt less. I use 12's and my fingertips feel good. But I also have callouses built up.

Are your fingertips peeling really bad, because you could be allergic to nickel, and it could be causing contact dermatitis. Or does cheap jewelry or other cheap metal objects, i.e. belt buckels, metal buttons, give you rashes, if so you are probably allergic to nickel.

EVERYONE is allergic to nickel. That's why 24 carot gold is so desirable.
Actually not everyone is allergic to nickel, just a lot of people, but still a small percentage of the total population. If you are playing an guitar with nickel strings and are not getting mad blisters or peeling, then you are not allergic to nickel.
awww... pussy........ i couldnt bend well but now im fine with it!
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!