For those of you like me that are completely fascinated at prospective future innovations and inventions. For those who are intrigued at the thought of how even the most basic parts of life will become more efficient, convenient and all around more enjoyable,

Welcome

I've been browsing through news articles about recent developments and ideas. Here's a few of my favorites.

Wireless Energy

Smart Cola Bottle

Harnessing Pedestrian Energy

Zero-Energy House

Fuuuuusion...mmmmm

And perhaps an opening topic.

How can an economy that is driven by supply and demand hope to coexist with a society that keeps coming up with ways to make things cheaper, more reliable, and more simple to manufacture? How does the number of jobs stay at a reasonable level when the technology keeps cutting the necessity for them?

the future frightens me XD
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
The smart cola bottle sounds cool. Something thats pretty simple, but could be damn effective. But that woman is probably right. If I bought one, I'd probably mess about with the buttons. Vanilla and Lime. Yummy.
And the whole thing about harnessing pedestrian's energy sounds cool. I think that, unless the whole fusion thing works out, in order for us to live as long as possible on this planet, we're going to have to be as efficient with our energy use as possible. Using vibrations to generate energy is a pretty big step forward. I like.
As for your question, the same thing puzzles me. You could argue that with new technology comes new industries in which we can work, but I don't know. Im not sure that's the case. Meh. Good idea for a thread anyway, may it live long.
i like the idea of robots and metallic shinny stuff all around and being surrounded by funny colourful lights, dont know if that qualifies as futuristic but it always comes to mind when i think of making music, that kind of music i mean, the futuristic kind... weird..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by scheck006
How can an economy that is driven by supply and demand hope to coexist with a society that keeps coming up with ways to make things cheaper, more reliable, and more simple to manufacture? How does the number of jobs stay at a reasonable level when the technology keeps cutting the necessity for them?

When things are cheaper, there is a larger demand. When things are simpler to manufacture, there is a higher supply. When things get cheaper and easier to manufacture, I imagine there would be an increase in trade, but the supply and demand would remain normal because more people would want to purchase products which there are many of.

People hundreds of years ago possibly asked the same questions. What will happen to the people who empty the cesspits? What will the people who acted as court jesters do? As technology changes, so do the jobs that maintain and develop that technology. I'm guessing that as technology changes in the future, a whole variety of different jobs will open up to both maintain, construct and use the new technology.

A question I find interesting: What do people think will happen when the oil supply runs out or gets to the point where only the richest can afford it?
Quote by B.I.N.
When things are cheaper, there is a larger demand. When things are simpler to manufacture, there is a higher supply. When things get cheaper and easier to manufacture, I imagine there would be an increase in trade, but the supply and demand would remain normal because more people would want to purchase products which there are many of.

People hundreds of years ago possibly asked the same questions. What will happen to the people who empty the cesspits? What will the people who acted as court jesters do? As technology changes, so do the jobs that maintain and develop that technology. I'm guessing that as technology changes in the future, a whole variety of different jobs will open up to both maintain, construct and use the new technology.

Well when you think of how many workers it takes to run a fully automated factory where machines/robots do all the work, and you compare it to a completely human operation, It's a huge difference.

I dont know how well everything works out on a large economic scale, but it just seems that even as the demand increases, there is nowhere near the same demand for human workers as there was before said technology came out.

A question I find interesting: What do people think will happen when the oil supply runs out or gets to the point where only the richest can afford it?

There's an oil crisis scenario on ExitMundi. They came to the conclusion that they have no idea how society will survive as we know it when the oil runs out.
Last edited by scheck006 at Jan 24, 2007,
The future seems cool now but when we get to the future it will be just another day because we'll be used to all this new technology.
We won't, but our children will. We'll know what it was like before cures for cancer were invented. We'll know how much we had to pay for petrol before the world stopped using it.
I fear that with all our Capitalist governments, there never will be a great technological break-through because of the competition and lack of co-operation between companies. This drives the prices up and the standard of technology down, due to the need to be the first out on the market and make the most money.

If all these companies focused on making the world an easier, safer, cheaper and cleaner place instead of making money, the problems of global warming and the oil problems would not be such a big issue.

There are already loads of alternatives to carbon based fuels, but when it comes down to it, they are not widely used due to the cost a competing market causes. Co-operations between companies and countries would not only cause prices to lower, but the rate at which new discoveries are made would shoot up.

This is why capitalism doesn't work
There's also much incentive for big industries to suppress a technology if it's going to be more reliable, efficient, etc.

Just think of all the mechanics that would be out on the streets if the new automobiles had 3 parts that wore down compared to the entire assembly of the engine.
I'd love to talk about this but I can't seem to really express what I am thinking on the subject & a few others over the internet.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
I wish I lived further into the future.

Kinda like a sci-fi universe with multiple alien races living alongside eachother and the occasional galactic struggle.
I saw a toilet on Modern Marvels that raises the lid, flushes and has a retactable beday (sp? the ass cleaner anyway) that's controlled by remote control.....

Seriously, the future has tons of great shit, but when do you become SO lazy that you can't put forth the energy to raise and lower the toilet seat and all that?

Sad times....

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by scheck006
lol, that would take people on this planet wanting to co-exist.

Yes, but it's a sci-fi(ction) dream.
Quote by fallenangel20
I saw a toilet on Modern Marvels that raises the lid, flushes and has a retactable beday (sp? the ass cleaner anyway) that's controlled by remote control.....

Seriously, the future has tons of great shit, but when do you become SO lazy that you can't put forth the energy to raise and lower the toilet seat and all that?

Sad times....

They probably said the same thing when the first horse was tamed.

"What, are you so lazy that you can't walk around the village? You need something to carry you? "
Quote by scheck006
They probably said the same thing when the first horse was tamed.

"What, are you so lazy that you can't walk around the village? You need something to carry you? "

I can see the practical uses for horses, though. Long distance travel, farming, sport, stuff like that.

But a fucking remote that raises and lowers the seat and shoot water up your ass, when you can use little to no muscle strength to do the SAME EXACT THING?

Hell no. LAZY!!!!!

Saxo-Walrus

i think we need a machine that converts sound waves into energy. that way we, as guitar players, can play our guitars all day and save the world by producing mass amounts of energy for the masses. maybe then we'll get some friggin' respect.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by sixstringsteve
i think we need a machine that converts sound waves into energy. that way we, as guitar players, can play our guitars all day and save the world by producing mass amounts of energy for the masses. maybe then we'll get some friggin' respect.

The new force of slave labor would turn into 24 hour jam sessions and musicians would be sold like cattle.

I can see it now.

Saxo-Walrus

Or on a more serious note

We could figure out how to harness some of the sound energy and recycle it so maybe the amp won't use as much electricity. The sound energy could maybe even charge up a battery that powered your pedal board.
Yea, that'd work.

I always had this cool idea as well.

You know those flashlights that you shake up, they have those coil things and all.

Use those coil things on a large scale. Make a massive turbine-like machine that spins those using existing power to start, then it could use a piece of it's power it's outputting to keep it running and send the rest of the power out.

Those flashlights last a long time on a 30 second shake, imagine the large scale, always spinning duration of power.

I think it would be cool.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
Yea, that'd work.

I always had this cool idea as well.

You know those flashlights that you shake up, they have those coil things and all.

Use those coil things on a large scale. Make a massive turbine-like machine that spins those using existing power to start, then it could use a piece of it's power it's outputting to keep it running and send the rest of the power out.

Those flashlights last a long time on a 30 second shake, imagine the large scale, always spinning duration of power.

I think it would be cool.

lol, I think they already have that only the wind spins it for you.
Quote by Krieg Commando
Do people who are futurists believe people shouldnt make a noise when giving birth.

Thats sciencetologists.

This is a good idea for a thread TS, the future has always intrigued me.

Has anyone seen that material they made in japan or something, but it was 99% air, but could support things with substantial weight and was like 2000 degrees fire proof? The pic of it i saw had a crayon sitting on top, and a blow torch on the bottom and the crayon isnt melting!
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by MySweetFracture

This is a good idea for a thread TS, the future has always intrigued me.

Has anyone seen that material they made in japan or something, but it was 99% air, but could support things with substantial weight and was like 2000 degrees fire proof? The pic of it i saw had a crayon sitting on top, and a blow torch on the bottom and the crayon isnt melting!

No, do you have a link?

This is a rather cool Idea, basically with some liquids if you blow bubbles with them and then expose them to UV light, they harden. They're thinking about using this as an outer shell for possible space colonies/space stations. It would be piss easy seeing as all they have to do is blow a bubble and then the UV light that's already present in space would cure it in a relatively short amount of time.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/12/11/bubble_tec.html?category=technology&guid=20061211153030
Quote by MySweetFracture

Aerogel

futurism was an art movement last century, comprised of artists who supported the war. it was all about masculinity and power, and made use of strong shapes and hard lines to emphasise this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurism_%28art%29
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by self-made_page

+10000 invisable rep! Thanks.

To TS- I think i saw something once on those uv bubbles. That is a wierd idea.

WHat about the space elevator? I read about it in Maxim or something. It will have a power source that can be shot like a laser beam, and the lifts will move up and down on some crazy carbon rope. That would be great for bringing supplies to outer space, and maybe even be the break through for space tourism.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by MySweetFracture
+10000 invisable rep! Thanks.

To TS- I think i saw something once on those uv bubbles. That is a wierd idea.

WHat about the space elevator? I read about it in Maxim or something. It will have a power source that can be shot like a laser beam, and the lifts will move up and down on some crazy carbon rope. That would be great for bringing supplies to outer space, and maybe even be the break through for space tourism.

Once our nano-technology improves we'll be able to build a material strong enough to be the rope for that.

It's going to be so sweet when the world has about 20 space elevators and joins them all together.
Quote by scheck006
lol, I think they already have that only the wind spins it for you.

What about when the wind doesn't blow?

Windmills can only be out in certain areas that have a good amount of wind. What about in New England, or the South, or even parts of the midwest?

I see the idea working, but it would cost a lot I'm sure.

Saxo-Walrus

They've also found ways to harness tide energy. Basically windmills that are under water. Something like 400 sq miles (which is nothing really, when you consider how vast the ocean is) of them could power the whole UK.
Whoa.... I think I've heard of those, I can at least THINK of what they look like.

I've been looking at computer tech as well. The MacPro desktop seems like the idea of how it will progress.

These desktops are crazy, you can either buy them with, or you can upgrade to,

-4 HD slots that can hold 4 750GB hard drives giving you a 3 TERABYTE hard drive.
-It has the RAM slots to hold up to 16GB of RAM. THAT'S INSANE!!!!

That was the main thin I saw. Sure, it still has a more standard 2.something processor, but all of this fits in a standard sized desktop.

I loving these recent advancements, and I can only imagine what it will be like in coming years.

Saxo-Walrus

In the next 10-15 years there's going to be some amazing breakthroughs. You think the Iphone is cool? Wait a decade or so

I'm trying to find an article on the storing of information in crystal. Apparantly you can fit an amazing amount of stuff in them. Also, you can actually see the documents, as they are literally inscribed at microscopic levels. Basically all you need to do is get a magnifier to find and read the document if you don't have a computer handy.