Well i've had my blue Squier affinity strat for around two years now and now have a sweet epi les paul std. So the Squier's been my "whatever" guitar, it's really comfortable and sounds alright, pretty decent. So I think it's time to mod it.

I've looked through guitar fetish and found these,
A black SSS pickgaurd - $11.95

Vintage USA strat bridge- $26.99

Fender Tex Mex pickups - $75

And a better wiring job.

Now I know nothing about changing pickups or strat wiring (or any wiring at all, I can't even read proper diagrams), so any good sites that really explain this stuff to building noobs?

I'll get pics up as soon as I can get started and if you have any more suggestions feel free to post.

Thanks
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
my suggestion is not to spend too much money on a lost cause. I have that same guitar and an ad50vt and it sounds leagues below my C-1. I think the quality of wood and lack of it has a lot to do with it. Also the action, neck, body, well everything, but if you're going to start modding it out, my advice is spend a few extra bucks and get a body from a better strat at least. Thats what I would do anyway
Quote by tasty licks
my suggestion is not to spend too much money on a lost cause. I have that same guitar and an ad50vt and it sounds leagues below my C-1. I think the quality of wood and lack of it has a lot to do with it. Also the action, neck, body, well everything, but if you're going to start modding it out, my advice is spend a few extra bucks and get a body from a better strat at least. Thats what I would do anyway

the neck and action should be fine (well, at least the sction is easily adjusted if its not), but getting a better body off ebay or something then puting most of the old hardware onto it might be a good idea though.
you also might want to replace the tuners aswell
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Ignore the people that say modding a Squier is a lost cause. If you like the guitar as it is, feels nice and is comfortable then modding it will only make it better. Add some new tuners to your shopping list and you'll have a nice little project and a guitar you'll love from the outcome.
a usa bridge might not fit, so be prepared to fill some holes.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Ignore the people that say modding a Squier is a lost cause. If you like the guitar as it is, feels nice and is comfortable then modding it will only make it better. Add some new tuners to your shopping list and you'll have a nice little project and a guitar you'll love from the outcome.

+1

if you like your guitar it doesn't matter what elitist noobs have to say about it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Thanks so much guys.

I've heard about the bridge not fitting, so i'm gonna mess around with that a bit.

And yup tuners would be great, and help alot.

Again thanks, may take a while but i'll get this thing started as soon as possible. "

Also thanks for the site with the vid.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

a wilkinson strat bridge will fit just fine. the problem i had with my is the trem block stuck out of the back, which i filed down. but everything else lined up nicely.

i would also invest in new tuners.

but the guitar came out great, i almost didnt give it back to the owner.

Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
theres no knobs, i wanted black ones (came with white) so i didnt put them on, its a volume, tone, kill button, like buckethead

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
yea, i understand, no biggie

Quote by steven seagull
Yeah that's why i'm planning to do the pickup job on my own get an idea of the inside.

Thanks for the bridge recomendation, I wasn't sure what to about that earlier.

I wanted to mess with the paint, but I already like the color so not sure about that, if I do change it chances are the guitars going red or black.

I was thinking about modding my Affinity Strat. Do you think it would be worth it to mod everything on it or just buy a new guitar?
Yea I wanted to mod everything on it except the body. But I kind of want a 24 fret neck for it. But I don't think any 24 fret necks would work on it.
Ok a slight idea change I have no idea if this is possible but could I put a 12 string neck and a 12 string bridge? So the guitar became a 12 string?

Still trying to build up my budget for this but i'm almost there...

I put the Tex-Mex's in my Cherryburst standard. The difference was huge. It sounds as good as my MIM, not better, but different and just as good.

The Squier, strangely enough, took less work to set up and play well than the Fender. I suppose it happens sometimes.

If you like the guitar, keep it and mod it.
I asked the guy in my store if he had tex mex pick ups and he wasn't sure what I was talking about. I'll have to bring in a musiciansfriend add and show him so I can get them from there.

Order them from Fender directly?

And you can get a 12 string neck from www.warmoth.com and you can buy a 12 string bridge too. Mind you, it'll be a hard tail.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Thanks for the site reccomendation are the necks really around $150 usually? Or is it possible to get cheaper?