is there a tecnique to just randomly playing great solo's off the top of your head or is it something that u develop overtime?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
improv man! and you will need to know scales really well so yes it is something you develop over time
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Just learn a blues scale by heart. It's really amazing how much you can do with it.

Pentatonic Blues in A minor (= C major)

--------------------------------------------------------------------5(R)----8-----
----------------------------------------------------------5----8------------------
-----------------------------------------5----7---(8)------------------------------
-----------------------------5---7(R)--------------------------------------------
-------------5---(6)---7---------------------------------------------------------
-5(R)---8----------------------------------------------------------------------

(R) Marks the root note. Blue notes between brackets.
Just improvise with these notes, add some bends, slides and before you realise it, you're playing great solo's
bit of both man, you gotta learn some scales(take the pentatonic first, they are usable in anything) and keep practicing until you get it right, it will take time, lots of it, but what doesnt.... it will be worth it in the end
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
#15 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES PM hardrock1315 to join.
Also learn some popular phrases. For example, playing in E minor you can play things like....

e---------------------------12------------------------12h15p12---------------
b-------------------12--------------OR-----12h15---------------15p12-------
g-14(ful bend)------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you can mix stuff like that and get....
e-----------------------------------15p12----------------------------------
b---------------------12h15p12-----------15r12---12-------------------
g--14(full bend)-------------------------------------14(unison bend)--

EDIT: happy?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Last edited by alienboy18241 at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by alienboy18241
Also learn some popular phrases. For example, playing in E minor you can play things like....

e---------------------------12------------------------12h15p12---------------
b-------------------12--------------OR-----12h15---------------15p12-------
g-14(ful bend)------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you can mix stuff like that and get....
e-----------------------------------15p12----------------------------------
b---------------------12h15p12-----------15r12---12-------------------
g--14(full bend)-------------------------------------14(unison bend)--

Please use code. Quote my post to learn how to do so.

This is coded text.

Edit: So the code didn't help at all, but if you use it and screw with the spacing, the results should look good.
i knew that melodic control video would pop up somewhere today!!!!! but i digress, it is a great video. but being able to make a good solo comes from knwing your theory, practicing your improv and paying attention to what chord progression is being used (and subsequently once you know your theory well, knowing how to break the rules, but thats not for noobs)
There are many things to improve soloing.
improv is important to make it sound how you want the solo to sound, but to help you out there are scales, licks, arpeggios, and other music theory-related things (such as keys) that'll help you make it sound good, the playing in key part helps to play in junction with the rhythm.
ive been playing for 2 years and play in a band weve written 4 songs in one of them i made a really good solo and it is really basic but it harmonises with the other instruments(unintentional) i played it at my highschools bbattle of the bands(which we won) and everyone jawsdropped so even the most basic thing can sound great just use the pentatonic for your first solos