So yea, basically I have my starter Ibanez GRX40 (HSS) and I'm really digging Tom Delonge (Blink 182's guitarist) sound. I know he's using a bloody expensive Mesa Triple Rectifier amp, but I've got my Valvetronix amp which simulates such a sound. My guitar, however, is probably the weakest link. So now I have a bit of a dilemma:

- There's an auction for a Squier Tom Delonge guitar (the el-cheapo version of the Tom Delonge Fender Stratocaster) which costs about 200 euros
- I could get a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader (same as in the Tom Delonge Fender Strat) and put it in my Ibanez

Whaddayathink? Gimme comments!
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
Don't waste your money. Delonge's sound is 90% amp, 10% amp. Save up and get yourself a decent amp and guitar. No amp is out of reach if you know how to save
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Just a point for you to consider. If you're talking about his live sound, possible look for an alder bodied cheap axe (Squier affinity fat strat has a not too bad alder body) and drop an Invader in it (you really do need the alder body to get his tone).

However, if you're after the tone he has on the albums, I'd actually be looking more towards the Les Paul family. The signature strat was almost exclusively a live guitar for him and almost all studio stuff was done with a Les Paul, SSS Strat or a 335.
what i think is you should have an idol whose got a shred of talent and skill.
Quote by henza_x

Hah, I was waiting for the first idiot to pipe up thinking if a player can't shred they suck. Moron, plus, he never said Delonge was his idol, just that he liked his tone.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Hah, I was waiting for the first idiot to pipe up thinking if a player can't shred they suck. Moron, plus, he never said Delonge was his idol, just that he liked his tone.

why dont u read my post. i said he hasnt got a shred of talent, not that he cant shred. Durh
Quote by henza_x

i'd have to agree with you that tom does not show much "skill-ship" in his playing. but i totally disagree with you on talent. everyone has their own opinions so i'll share mine. honestly, i don't look up to tom on the guitar side but i have to admit that he has came up with some of the catchiest songs and some guitar licks. they may be simple but they are damn catchy. i would consider being able to play guitar really good talent but i think being able to make something so catchy using such simplicity is also talent.
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Quote by henza_x
why dont u read my post. i said he hasnt got a shred of talent, not that he cant shred. Durh

Doesn't matter what you mean't your still an idiot..

Toms sound is probably mostly from his amp.. didn't he use les pauls in studio??!?!???? Correct me if I'm wrong!
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
oh.. i forgot to answer the thread starters question. DO NOT go with your 2nd choice of replacing the pickups on your ibanez. simply because its different wood. its like giving a person that can't sing a really good microphone. u will NOT get the desired tone. i honestly wouldn't buy tom delounge's guitar model but if i were i'd buy it if thats the tone you want. no other way to obtain the sound.
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
tom a good rhythm guitarist tho...he does also do some (slightly) complicated riffs while singing...but song writing does need talent, cant fault him ther.
but onto the tone, i would say a cheap alder squier and then put in the invader, or any decent humbucker, all it does is create more distortion, most of the tone is the amp
Member of the 'Guitarist Born in 1991' club
Quote by henza_x

hes better than youll ever be so get over it

edit: so that im not wasting my post like that guy did ill say that if you like the feel of you current guitar but want to change the tone then go with the new duncs
-----
Quote by _Mayday_
Get her an Oven with a card saying 'Where's my fucking food?'
Last edited by gtferet_41 at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by Gabel

Hahah what a coincidence, I made that preset! =D
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
I love my delonge strat. its a super easy guitar to play. to be fair, mines the fender version but still. tom never recorded with his strat OR his gibson though because he felt the pickups were too loud. i know he used a lot of les pauls and for cleaner stuff on the last blink album he used a lot of telecasters. i still say the squire is probably worth the money though.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
and, and just to clarify, i recorded with a delonge strat and it sounded really good, makes a big guitar sound
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Yeah, if you watch the videos of Tom recording in the studio, he uses les pauls almost all the time. I too have his signature strat, good guitar, not too versatile. Id recommend getting a Strat with a HSS setup. And swap in the SD Invader. You will have a more versatile guitar with the single coil pickups. BTW, the invader doesnt have the best cleans. With his sig. model, you are really paying for his name on it. Its not like his guitar is made out of wood from the trees in his backyard...lol He sure can create some nice catchy riffs though...
I've checked on my current guitar (the Ibanez) and it's made of Alder, the same wood as the Fender Tom Delonge Strat. Is that good enough to put an Invader in?
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
tom uses a gibson dirty fingers in a gibson es-333 for live stuff. his tone is all amp. he uses mesa boogie triple rectifier for dirty tones, and marshall jcm900 for clean tones. he uses the same guitar in his new band.

he uses a custom fender tornado for one song from the self titled album.

he used mainly lp's in the recording studio for their latest album in 2003 you can watch videos of them demoing.

i have a dirty fingers in my les paul and it sounds just like the live stuff from their self titled album.
The Tom Delonge strat is the only fender that I have played and truly fell in love with. Sure, it is not versatile in the least. But sometimes simplicity is the best. Like everyone else said, was his live guitar only. Aside from that, it still sounds amazing and plays nicely. I just can't believe how expensive those things are now!
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~