Morning all,

Anyone played the 50watt combo from the new vintage modern series. I was wondering whether to get one of these amps or spend slightly less and get an orange tiny terror and an orange 1x12 cab (suppose I could even go for a 2x12 if needs be).

Only really gonna be used at home and I play mainly rock and little metal so I need a pretty versatile tone - I play an epi les paul custom. I liked the fact that both amps are pretty back to basics.

The reason I ask is that to try both amps I need to go to two different stores that are miles apart so any advise before I get in the car is appreciated!

cheers
^ ah, yeah, that's the problem. By the time you hit the second store you'll have forgotten what the first one sounds like.

I haven't tried either, unfortunately, they're both pretty new. But it's still worth trying them, even if they are far apart.

What tones are you after? There might be other things you should try as well.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well you see, tones another problem. I'm looking for a straight rock kinda sound similar to GNR/ACDC as that it what I'm into playing but also like a heavily distorted thrash sound every now and again! so was hoping to be able to pull both off.

I'm not too arsed about specializing with either sound at the expense of the other at the moment as I am very much learning what I want to play and prefer options.

The Marshall is more expensive and this would be my first tube amp so any recommendations of good all rounders are welcome. One of the main specifications is that both amps are basic in their controls/options.

Oh and I'm not put off about using effects to achieve either tone to a better degree.
^ i'd definitely consider the peavey windsor as well. it's aimed at that 80's kind of tone, should do ac/dc pretty well too.

what's your budget? around £600?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah £500 - £700 is the range.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna put together a list and then go hunting around the south east. I'm really keen to get a decent amp as I'll not be upgrading for a very long time!
^ the laney tt50 would be worth a look too, the combo. It probably just sneaks into the upper end of your budget. Engl screamer and thunder too, but they may be too modern/wrong voicing. Worth a try, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont know about the others, but the Orange tiny terror is great, im not absolutely sure if it will get exactly what you want, I am however sure that with tweaking it can do the classic rock sound, and more, Orange are very versatile amps.

*knows he sounds like a salesman*
i heard gary moore play a tiny terror nearly full blast at GAK last time i went there, it sounded pretty good. It should get the tones you want but im not sure about the others.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club