Need some help choosing a song to play at 'Talent Quest'. (Yes, I'm lame.)

Well, a few of my friends and I have decided to play something at this year's 'Talent Quest' at school. Well, It's mostly for fun since this year's 'Talent Quest' will be the first and will probably be the last opportunity we have to take part in it since we'll be too busy next year to do something like this.

We need help choosing a song to play. I'll be playing lead and I'm not exactly the best guitar player around. (Pretty shit, actually. Our bassist kicks my ass at playing the guitar but he wants to play bass for fun.) Since I already said that we're doing this for fun please don't leave comments such as "OMGWTFBBQ YOU SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ON STAGE". Let's leave that for the audience to say.

Okay, well the first song we thought of playing was 'Another Day by Dream Theater' but I don't think i can play the solo. It gets a bit too fast for me. (Yes, I'm a noob ) The second song that we thought of was 'Through her eyes by Dream Theater'. I quite liked this song (Actually, I liked it A LOT) mostly because I could actually play it . One of my friends brought up 'Creep by Radiohead' but I don't really like the song but I'll still play it if my friends really wanted to play it.

So could UGer's give me advice on which of those songs to play or name song songs that you think we should play. Keep in mind that I'm noob at playing the guitar so the song choice is limited. Please don't say something that you know I'd never be able to play. I've only been playing for 6months.

Thanks in advance for any help

Edit: The other people playing with me are average musicians.

We also have roughly TWENTY weeks to practice. o_o;

Edit2: Whatever the song, we'll probably get the bassist to write a solo that I and the other guitarist will probably perform.
Last edited by Adv at Jan 23, 2007,
At most "talent quest" of this sort a 3 chord song is all you need.

EDIT: most, not "at most"
Last edited by xyber56 at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by xyber56
At most "talent quest" of this sort a 3 chord song is all you need.

Some friends of mine are playing 'Bittersweet Symphony' and their vocalist is apparently really good so we'll have to play pretty well to beat that and any other teenybopper acts other students are doing that will please the judges.
Through her eyes by Dream Theater is not fast enough. Try Home by Dream Theater! It's insanely fun playing that song on stage!
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Seven by Necrophagist

...or assuming that you cant play that, my friends and I are playing Say It Aint So by Weezer, which is quite simple.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
I'm going to get 'Home - Dream Theater' and 'Say It Aint So - Weezer' and ask my friends tomorrow if they're interested in playing any of those. Thanks for the advice xyber56, Cynoxx and Ackj.

Other advice will be greatly appreciated.
If you want something easy and nice sounding, try some Oasis, like chamagne supernova. It's very fun to improvise to.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'd play something well known that rocks. Hendrix, AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc.
Quote by Ackj
Seven by Necrophagist

...or assuming that you cant play that, my friends and I are playing Say It Aint So by Weezer, which is quite simple.

i assume if he can cover it he wouldn't be speed wanking in a Talent Quest...

like speed wanking is so hard...
My Spanish Hearts
Quote by Cynoxx
Through her eyes by Dream Theater is not fast enough. Try Home by Dream Theater! It's insanely fun playing that song on stage!

It's even better when you get people to make the background noises.
Quote by rx_eb
like speed wanking is so hard...

I find that most morons who say this kind of shit can't play guitar at all.

If it's so easy, let's see you do it.
Quote by Archaon
It's even better when you get people to make the background noises.

I find that most morons who say this kind of shit can't play guitar at all.

If it's so easy, let's see you do it.

...i was just kidding

i'm a fan of Suiçmez....
My Spanish Hearts
Fuel - Hemmorage

why not? People love that song.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
smells liek teen spirit - nirvana ... piss easy and its for fun right ! ???
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Spirit of radio - Rush, might be fun

Pull me under -dream theater, if you can play it. Otherwise, don't try. Or, play something a bit more mainstream, such as something by RHCP, IE under the bridge.
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

nice place to start man it aint that hard to do and the line up is simple and plus its pretty famous so you can get your school to join in lol. thatll get high scores with the judges
Quote by sky-high
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

nice place to start man it aint that hard to do and the line up is simple and plus its pretty famous so you can get your school to join in lol. thatll get high scores with the judges

Chicks will dig that.
I'm going to listen to the songs mentioned above.

Iris seems like a good song to play. Thanks sky-high.
no boundaries by michael angelo batio
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
Last edited by The_Shredder at Jan 24, 2007,
Quote by The_Shredder
no boundaries by michael angelo batio

Lol. I wish I could play Michael Angelo Batio's stuff.

Oh, we have the same guitar. Crappy Ashton starter guitars ftw.
Quote by Adv
Lol. I wish I could play Michael Angelo Batio's stuff.

Oh, we have the same guitar. Crappy Ashton starter guitars ftw.
haha! yes! crappy ashton starter guitars FTW indeed! + 10 points to you good sir
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
A group played Johnny B. Goode to my school last year. They were just playing it for fun, made a few mistakes, but they sounded awesome and the school went nuts.

A friend of mine thought they wrote it.

Bonus points for the Back to the Future reference too.
Just think of a song you can play that is always kick ass live...

And if the other band members are up for it then play that.