I want to play slide guitar on something, so I was thinking of buying a rubbish guitar and doing it up with a new pickup n tuners etc.
Im trying to get one that's really really cheap. And not a strat

bad idea?
well, by the time you get new pick-ups, etc, you'll probably have enuff wrapped up into it to have bought a little better rig. I think having a guitar set up especially for slide is a great idea though.

I've thought about doing that with my first electric, one I got back when I was 12 yrs. old. BUT ....... I have nicer guitars I would modify and use those parts on the cheapo.
Quote by mrbreeze
well, by the time you get new pick-ups, etc, you'll probably have enuff wrapped up into it to have bought a little better rig. I think having a guitar set up especially for slide is a great idea though.

I've thought about doing that with my first electric, one I got back when I was 12 yrs. old. BUT ....... I have nicer guitars I would modify and use those parts on the cheapo.

That's why they invented the electric dobro
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
I've seen some for £250. Granted it's not exactly peanuts but it's not like you need to re-mortage your house to afford one.
At the mo I prefer to spend peanuts as im not thinking of taking slide too seriously,
You don't necessarily need high action to play slide. You just need to use a gentler touch. This can be difficult if you're new to slide as you'll inevitably try and push down hard as you would when fretting a guitar playing normally.
Squier 51, that's what I use for slide - a decent guitar that you can pick up for under £100 if you shop around, and the perfect base for modding...not that I've done any on it myself!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
That's why they invented the electric dobro

NO SHIT????? you're a friggin' genius!

or do you really man a lap steel/hawaiian guitar? I have one of those as well. Dobros or resonators come in square neck or round neck styles, depending on whether you want to stand or sit to play it. They also have a very distinct sound, not at all like the sound you would get with a solid-body electric guitar.

and by the way, HIGH action is relative, the action probably needs to be set higher than what the TS is accustiomed to playing. Light touch is still a must.

Your hardware settings on a guitar dedicated for slide are a lot more forgiving. A lap steel for instance is little more than a block of wood with a pickup at the bridge. The fretboard can be made of anything, as you'll never touch it.

If you already have a cheapo, or are planning to buy one, you won't need many modifications to make it suitable beginner slide playing.
Quote by mrbreeze
NO SHIT????? you're a friggin' genius!

or do you really man a lap steel/hawaiian guitar?

If I meant a lap steel/Hawaiian guitar I'd of said so.
The reason I mentioned a dobro is because my mate plays in an R&B band and he uses one for slide because he reckons you get more of a vintage delta blues sound out of one compared to an ordinary electric.
your mate is obviously smarter than you ..... I agree with his opinion anyway.

However, all slide playing isn't necessarily intended to mimic Delta Blues.

Thanks for the education, dipshit
Quote by mrbreeze
your mate is obviously smarter than you ..... I agree with his opinion anyway.

However, all slide playing isn't necessarily intended to mimic Delta Blues.

Thanks for the education, dipshit

Never said it was