How well can an epi les paul classic pull off shred/metal? Obviously almost every guitar can pull of metal, but how well suited would it be to metal? I am thinking about changing the pickups, and if I did so which ones would be recommended? I probably do not want emg's in there, and I was hoping to be able to get a really clear crisp defined tone out of it - so I am not jsut looking for whichever pickups put out the most gain. I would also like these pickups to support a variety of other styles as well. So - is this easily feasible or should I just get a new guitar?
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

with a change of pickups it can go into metal mode EASY
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
look at dimarzio's website... they have a good description of their pickups... even a pickup picker thingy...
My cousin has a LP and he uses SH-10 full shred humbuckers which are seymour duncans. Have a look on a pick-up website as they may have specific sections for the types of pickups which are made for what job. But I would suggest Seymour Duncans if you want a crisp sound.

Well look at a lot of metal band guitarists they pull off metal pretty well with a LP such as Zakk Wylde, slash etc etc
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
As-is, it can do metal. I wouldn't say the stock pickups will give you the ideal metal tone, but they will work.

If you don't want EMGs (btw, they aren't the hottest out there), then look into some Duncans or Dimarzios.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
u cud play metal only if u change the pickups.. i recommend dimarzio evolution in bridge and a seymour duncan SH 10 on bridge.
^um how can I have to pickups in the bridge? I assume you meant the evo for the bridge and the SH 10 in the neck, right?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Itll do Metal perfect with a change of pups, I feel the warm tone of a les paul is perfect for metal, so with a pup change to make it scream you should be set.

Look at EMGs, Duncans or Dimarzios. And If moneys not an issue look at Bareknuckles
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
yeah, any guitar can do metal with the right pickups and amp. you dont need some ibanez wizard neck to play well.
i reccomend SD Distortion, or SD Custom in bridge, and probably a SD Jazz in neck.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
How would a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck and a Evo 2 in the bridge sound?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

What's the difference between them and the seymore duncans?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call