That's the question I'm looking at. I've got about 1000$ to spend on a guitar, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a LP. But there are about 100 different kinds.. I'm gonne be buying a Gibson or Epiphone, but all their different suffixes are confusing.

The Epiphone standard LP looks great for the money. (400!) But 200 more gets me an Epiphone Custom. And if I go a little higher, I can start affording Gibson Studios and so on.. Plus there seem to be a LOT of cheap LPs to avoid, even if you narrow the company to Epi/Gibson.

I know trying them out myself is the best option, and I will definately be doing that. I'm going to be buying my guitar out-of-country, though, so I need to plan a bit. I'd like to hear some personal opinions and get some clarification on all those different names!

Thanks!
I have a Gibson LP studio. That sounds great. Don't know how many $ they are. Mine cost £699 a couple of years ago
Cool, I'm just wondering if it is worth twice as much as a ephiphone standard. It is twice the price. Or you could look at it the opposite way, and consider going all the way and getting a Gibson standard?
Also, I'm going to be going to the Newport Beach area of Los Angeles for two weeks - I am planning on just checking out their Guitar Center, but does anybody know any chains/ local stores that would be noticably cheaper?

As said, I am buying abroad, and since I have room for one guitar, and travel around every two years, AND save 30% of the price as compared to buying it home in Denmark, I want to get a guitar that will last a while.

Edit: Sorry bout the double post? I'm tired.. <.<

And I'll look at the ESPs, but I had epiphones recommended to me, and it somehow makes sense for me to go to the company that made the model.
Last edited by Harwood at Jan 23, 2007,
Used LP Classic. Search around on ebay, craigslist, etc. You can get one for around 1200-1300 and you'll thank yourself you spent a few hundred more.
the epiphone les paul custom is AS good as the epi lp studio,
if your gonna get a gibson dont go in for less than a stadard
I've heard that the Epi customs are great, but I don't have much experiance with them. I do have a Slash signature epi and a standard, and both are good guitars. You might also try the (epi) Lp classic models.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by Harwood
Also, I'm going to be going to the Newport Beach area of Los Angeles for two weeks - I am planning on just checking out their Guitar Center, but does anybody know any chains/ local stores that would be noticably cheaper?

As said, I am buying abroad, and since I have room for one guitar, and travel around every two years, AND save 30% of the price as compared to buying it home in Denmark, I want to get a guitar that will last a while.

Edit: Sorry bout the double post? I'm tired.. <.<

And I'll look at the ESPs, but I had epiphones recommended to me, and it somehow makes sense for me to go to the company that made the model.

as someone who goes to newport beach alot, GC would be your best bet for epiphone, or gibson guitars. there arent many small stores who carry those. if you can get into hollywood, you will have a better choice of guitars.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
We might be going up there, anyplace you'd recommend for better prices? I probably ain't gonna buy any obscure model, so the only real thing that matters is the price.

Thanks for all the opinions, as well. Anyone know anything about the Elitist line? Those things look very nice as well.. :-)
Quote by Harwood
We might be going up there, anyplace you'd recommend for better prices? I probably ain't gonna buy any obscure model, so the only real thing that matters is the price.

Thanks for all the opinions, as well. Anyone know anything about the Elitist line? Those things look very nice as well.. :-)

www.la.com

has everything you woudl ever need in Los Angeles.
If you don't care about the name on the headstock and just want to get the best LP for the money, I highly recommend looking for a Burny or Edwards Japanese LP copy. Both companies make excellent quality axes for about 1/4th the price of a similarly-appointed Gibson. Look for them on Ebay or:

http://orangeguitar.com/

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/

All of the current Burny models can be found here:

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/guitars_burny_index.html

I've owned 6 Gibson LP's over the years and actually like my Burny's better. Their stock pickups are excellent and alot of the models also come with a Fernandes Sustainer in the neck position, kind of a neat feature. Also if you're interested, they have some models with P-90's and even a couple with Floyd's. I haven't played any recent Edwards but they're supposed to be outstanding and all of their guitars come with either Seymour Duncan's or EMG's.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by Harwood

Epiphone elitists are well-built, high-end guitars that own a lot of low end Gibsons, with good electronics too.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
All right, thanks. It's confusing. I currently have my heart set on an Epiphone, to use a cheesy idiom. But I got a little until I go over anyway, so I'll keep everything in mind. I'll head over to the local extorted music store and compare the Customs and Elitists sometime, if they have them.

Thanks!
Get an epiphone elitist LP and swap out the pickups, that should be better than the Gibson studios and you save some money.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
get an Epi Custom and change the pickups
then youll have about 400 left to get some pedals or something!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
PRS Singlecut. Tried it, excelent playability and superb looks.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
PRS Singlecut. Tried it, excelent playability and superb looks.

PRS Singlecuts go for $2-3 thousand +
Quote by TJM2482

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the PRS Singlecut SE... If you must go epiphone I would suggest either a Custom or an Elitist (standard or custom).

My money would go towards an Edwards or an Orville copy though. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Last edited by infernopalace at Jan 23, 2007,
If you're going for a Gibson, get a classic.

If you're going for an Epiphone, get an elitist.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Personally I would not go with a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I like my Epiphone Les Paul a lot more. One thing was that the neck is not bound? (doesn't have that cream trim around the fret board on it) that really annoyed me. An Epi with a pickup change is good but if you go gibson get nothing below a standard.
Before you completely write off only wanting an Epiphone or a Gibson, try out a Michael Kelly Patriot. The Patriot line is MK's version of the LP, and they are great guitars for the money. A Patriot Custom is around $450 or so, and it sounds great. I would much rather have one of these over the same price range Epi LP. MK has good quality control and affordable prices for nice sounding guitars. They have some great looks too, especially if you look at like the Patriot Vintages. They are the same as the Custom (if I remember right) but they have different hardware. One of the ones I saw in hand was a beautiful white with a rusted bronze looking hardware. It looked absolutely amazing.

My local Sam Ash has been carrying a few Patriots, and they have been flying. They started off with two Amberburst Patriot Qs (The lowest of the Patriots) and I bought one. Then came in a Custom and a Vintage, both sold quickly, then another Custom, then the Patriot Q. Last time I was up there, they had sold all the ones they had except for a single Custom, and were waiting for more to come in.
-George

Gear:
'52 RI Fender Tele Hot Rod (*drool*)
(93) 1994 40th Anniversary Fender Strat (American)
Michael Kelly Patriot Q in Amberburst
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Crate V8 Palomino 5W Tube Combo
I own both a Gibson 59 reissue and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Flame top.
There is no question the 59 is a tone monster and it should be for what it cost.
But Ill tell you this, I would have no problem if my only guitar was the Epiphone.
It's my daily driver and allthough you might be able to get something as good for around the same money as the Epi you won't get anything better for the price.
In the end, the sound comes from your hands anyway.
"In the end, the sound comes from your hands anyway."

True dat. The guitars help, though.

Keef-is-king, those guitars are interesting. I'll have to try them out, but if they are like Gibson standards, but without the nice finish, it would be worth a thought. THe thing is, they are almost as expensive as an Elitist.

The same thing with the Edwards and such. I'll try them, and see if you are just paying for the name when you get a Epi/gibson.

At any rate, you've all been very helpful. Thanks!
I'd say an Elitist is probably the best choice if looking at Epiphone. They're awesome guitars for the price.

As for Gibson (at least for the LP Studio and above), you can't blanket statement and say one model is better than the other. There are good Studios, and bad Standards, and vice versa. In terms of cosmetic appearance / price, the Classic is attractive as it has some of the appointments of the LP Standard (body and fingerboard binding), but is made of the same woods as the Studio (plain maple top to keep cost down instead of a figured top on Standards). "Good" guitars with Gibson are rather hit-and-miss, and it's model and price tag has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the final quality or sound of the instrument. If you're going Gibson, play as many as you can get your hands on and let the tone be your guide, not the price tag or model name.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by TJM2482

Meant the SE series PRS Singlecut

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.