I'm learning how to play on my own, but I was curious if there is proper form in how you place your fingers. The only example I can give is like on a computer keyboard. how you keep your index fingers on F and J, is there a good way to hold your fretting hand for easy access and quicker finger response?

I hope this makes sense.... LOL
Not really. I usually just hold the neck near the second fret and tend to keep my fingers in an E-Chord shape, because I tend to start off alot of stuff with an E-chord. But that's when I'm not yet playing. During play, doesn't matter. Nearest your next fret is your best bet.
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/index.html

This is the first of zentao's lesson installment. It covers everything from theory, to left hand and right hand techniques. Proper placement, movements, etc. He goes into the detail of which fingers to use when too (lesson 3 or 4 IIRC).

In this first lesson, in the left hand part he explains how to hold your hand for maximum reach.

Hope this helps!
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
thanks alot that does help. I of course want to start cranking out songs but I'm one of those that likes to learn the right way
Quote by Riftcloud
thanks alot that does help. I of course want to start cranking out songs but I'm one of those that likes to learn the right way

That's a great attitude if you can keep it up! If you play everything slow and correct, you won't make errors! I've heard about this classical player who was only allowed to play an hour each day, under supervision. He didn't practise much this way, but he never made mistakes, thus never screwed up when he tried the same thing faster.

I want to learn everything right too, but sometimes I'd just like to go out all crazy and play..I guess it's good for the creative process.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!