Hey all, I've been playing a year now and have hard, ugly calouses on my fingertips.
My girlfriend dislikes them and I'd like to know if there was a way to make them less unsightly as they do look a bit manky.
infact is there a way to get rid of them entirely? I wouldnt mind playing in pain if it meant i had nice looking fingertips again.
Thanks
they're part of guitar playing.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
My doctor said soak them in warm salt water for 45 mins- 1 hour and mine shrunk so try that
Schecter Hellraiser C7 w/ BKPs
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez TS9
Boss Tuner
Morley Tremonti Wah

"From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, And I Am In Them, And That Is Eternity"
if you're really that bothered, file em down with a nail file. as soon as it starts hurting, stop filing.
i don't even get callouses .. my fingers just turn hard but look normal
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Hot salt water for at least 30 min, then file them down with a nail file. But tI really don't think that the callouses look that bad, and it is pretty hard to play without them.
Yeah I never got big callouses. Just my fingertips got nice and hard. The only difference you could see was that the fingerprints are more defined on my fretting hand.

Get a new girlfriend if my solution. If she can't get over the fact that you have a few callouses on one hand, then are you really losing anything?
Quote by cerveza
i don't even get callouses .. my fingers just turn hard but look normal

Yeah mine too.
One good thing about have calloused/hard fingertips is that you can drum out a sweet beat on a table top or whatever pretty loudly without getting sore fingers. I do it all the time (I fidget around alot) and it drives mum crazy, along with a lot of other people.
I just drum out sounds i have stuck in my head on tables and on books if I'm reading a book, or on my iPod when I'm listening to music. Most of the time I do it without realising.
she doesnt really have a problem, she just highlighted that they werent too nice looking and i agree to be honest :/
We can live with them, however I just want them to look neater, I'll try the salt water.
Not playing isnt an option, I am addicted
i've tried getting callouses but my fingers don't seem to want to keep them. i play at least an hour everyday
Start fingering her with your fretting hand, that should shut the bitch up.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Show her that the Callouses can give her a whole new level of orgasm, Then ask if she wants to get rid of them.
Quote by johnos
One good thing about have calloused/hard fingertips is that you can drum out a sweet beat on a table top or whatever pretty loudly without getting sore fingers. I do it all the time (I fidget around alot) and it drives mum crazy, along with a lot of other people.
I just drum out sounds i have stuck in my head on tables and on books if I'm reading a book, or on my iPod when I'm listening to music. Most of the time I do it without realising.

I do the same thing. It makes a nice loud tap that no one else can imitate .
You should see in class when I'm particularly bored. I get the callouses working on the bass with the left hand and then get the longer fingernails on the right and going for the treble on the desks. It drives people nuts though, lol.
Quote by DJaye
Start fingering her with your fretting hand, that should shut the bitch up.

Siged
Use a guitar string lubricant. They smoothed my callouses whilst I was playing. And it makes it easy to play.