I am teaching myself to play guitar and just bought a American Fender Strat Deluxe. I played all the MIM and MIA and had picked out a non-DLX model but the nice salesman at GC did an excellent job at up selling me... although I am not upset... the noiseless S-S-S is awesome, it has the sound I want, its comfortable to play, and after changing my first set of strings I am SO happy I have locking tuners.

Anyway - here is my question: I currently play through a little setup I've used for recording and techno writing... it works, but I'd like a small, decent amp for practice so I can get these damn headphones off my head! I am an effects ***** to the core, I plan to purchase and experiment with lots of pedals and effects, so digital modeling and built in effects don't do much for me. I am looking for a nice amp with good sound that I can use at the end of my pedal chain, gives great sound reproduction, but still has maybe some basic basic distortion/overdrive, etc that I can kick in when I am not at home with all the toys. First and foremost is sound quality amp-ing already processed sound... aside from that extra toys are great... Any suggestions? Portable is a bonus too... when it comes to finally making some noise with this thing I am not adverse to buying a nice huge Marshall stack and head or something, but that's a few years down the line.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!!
Brian
Last edited by goblynn93 at Jan 23, 2007,
i have a small marshall MG10CD which weighs about 5 pounds and is really easy to transport plus it gets considerably loud. i have a strat and a wah pedal and my distortion pedal go through it nice. plus it has a decent overdrive built in. i think i paid around 75 for it. this may not be what you want but its worth a look.
Marshall MG100DFX
Line 6 Spider 3 75
Epi SG G310
Fender Stratocaster
Crybaby Wah
Danelectro Distortion
Eleca Acoustic
Rogue Wah
heres a little tip and im pretty sure at least a couple of people will agree... a my big muff makes any little amp sound huge it has sucha great volume boost, so definitly consider it. gets a surprising rage of sounds aswell i found depending on what you use it with
Maybe a Valve JR, one channel though. But you can mod it to add a gain switch etc.
Maybe a Valve JR, one channel though. But you can mod it to add a gain switch etc.

If somebody's looking for a good, solid tone to layer effects over it's perfect, and loud enough to annoy the neighbours if you ever get the urge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There is an Ibanez full-tube 5 watt amp thats really great...Can remember the name though..Its quite loud,portable and has the most decent sound Ive heard in a small amp..Its about 180$-200$ and I consider its an exellent buy...If you consider buying something bigger though go for a Marshall AVT..ITs a beast that weights 25kg but you can unleash chaos with it..Don go for a Line6 or all those transistor amps cause most of them lack tons of quality...ANd especially "Watts=/=Quality"....

EDIT:The Ibanez amp Im talking about may be out of production...Its blue on the outside.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Marshall AVT IS a transistor amp - that single tube doesn't make much difference in the greater scheme of things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
If somebody's looking for a good, solid tone to layer effects over [the Valve Jr is] perfect, and loud enough to annoy the neighbours if you ever get the urge.

^ +1

This is how I use mine. I got a bunch of effects pedals, and got another one on the way. I love experimenting with sound. The VJ is a great base for that sort of thing. Depending on your budget, I'd recommend the head with a decent 2x12 cab. But if you're tight, the combo'll serve you well.

What is your budget, BTW? An effects loop would be great for you, but they're not generally found on the smaller practice/budget amps. The new JSX Mini Colossal from Peavey has one, but that 5 watter is listing at $600!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by steven seagull
Marshall AVT IS a transistor amp - that single tube doesn't make much difference in the greater scheme of things.

Marshall AVT is a HYBRID amp...

If you compare a Line6 Spider 2 and an AVT live,you 'll hear a very large difference m8...But compared to the full-tube amps,yeah there isnt much difference from a transistor one...
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
I know it's hybrid, I just don't see the point in making the distinction between hybrid and solid -state. You're right though, it's a better option than a modeller.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc