So Ive got a good deal on the 20 watt combo. How high gain gan these go? I want to get at least a good Metallica tone, and anything heavier is a plus. I just need the nice thick palm mutes.

Also, does it have that classic Marshall crunch that is perfect for straight up rock an roll?

This is the 20 watt combo, so it doesnt have that extra 20dB gain boost (like the 40 watt). Would that make a big difference in the gain?

Should I grab this deal ($500) or wait for a used Peavey XXX EFX combo, I like to play rock (Marshall crunch) and heavier stuff (Metallica) and a lot of classic rock (AC/DC, Zeppelin).

Should I get it?
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
Hain't no such thing. You must have got the name or something wrong. I'm guessing you mean the DSL201?
Well its the DSL 2000 201 the 201 refers to the 20 watt combo. Sorry

But its still a DSL 2000

Would that 20dB gain boost make a big difference? I do most of my playing in my basement, and sometimes with my friends (drummer and guitarist with 75W Spider II) so will the 20 watt be loud enough? Would the 40 watt combo get good overdrive at lower volumes? Ahhh what do I do?
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Umm no the full name is Marshall JCM 2000 (2000 denominating the series) DSL 201, I own the 401 and it's amazing, gets good marshally rock tones at lower volumes, apparently the 201 is similar but minus the "Crunch" channel. The 20db do make a big difference.
I dont find the 20dB difference that much if you have your gain around 6-7 so.. The 201 would be pretty much the 401, you would get more power out of it due to the lower volume so you'd have it louder!
Thanks...I just read that the DSL201 always has that gain boost on, when oyur on the gain channel. So they should both get the same amount of overdrive.

How heavy do your DSL's go? Metallica?

Think I should go for the 201 for $500 including shipping?
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Where are yo ufinding these marshalls so cheap!?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R