How long had you been playing and how long'd it take you to learn the solos to any o these:
Sweet Child
Iron Man
Smoke on the Water
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
sweet child-dont know how to play the hole song just intro
iron man-about 3 minutes
smoke on the water-a day and a half
I play a guitar strung with Yngwie's chest hair
SCOM is between beginner and intermediate
iron man is beginner level
and Smoke is the same as SCOM
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
What level is Master of Puppets?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
wtf sweet child o mine is harder than both iron man and smoke on the water.
smoke on the water & iron man are like... a day.
sweet child i'm too lazy so i improv...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
for the people who say they learned sweet child solo or whatever the other were in a day or 3 mins, i really doubt it sounds that good sure you may be hiting the right notes, but as for the little touches that bring it to life and make them great they take more than a couple hours to get them spot on at speed like the fast repeat phrases in sweet child without bumming any notes and keeping the timing perfect every time. l Only when you can play it perfect at the drop of a hat have you learned it.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
This thread is so full of crap. He's asking how long you've been playing when you learned these solos. I severely doubt that you learnt any relatively difficult solo within the first few days of playing guitar. Thats just BS.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
What level is Master of Puppets?

The solo is one of Metallica's more complicated ones.

In other words, don't even try.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
After bout 6 months i started on Smoke on water and it took me prob a week to learn it and make it sound good. That was playing it flat out probably bout 2 hours a day. as far as puppets solo goes, i only just learnt that the other day. Wicked fun to play, but if you are a newbie, probably a bit out of your league, but thats not to say you cant have a go, you may surprise yourself.
Quote by general_koffi
The solo is one of Metallica's more complicated ones.

In other words, don't even try.

hmm i think its an easy solo like to learn as in the base of it but getting it perfect is a bitch.

but i think sweet child o mine is harder than mop
iron man - dunno learnt it dodgy as fork in like a day a couple months back
smoke on the water - played it a bit but i just like to improv it.
sweet child of mine is easy, kinda like hey joe or purple haze
iron man is piss easy
smoke on the water is alright, quite long so took me a few runs through to learn it but only about an hour
master of puppets; first one is easy enough to intermediate, second one i've tried and failed miserably

edit: o yeah i was playing about a year when i learnt SCOM, a bit more when i learnt the other two, and i've been playing 2 and a half years and haven't cracked the 2nd MoP solo!
Last edited by blue_strat at Jan 25, 2007,
I've been playing around a year now.

Master of puppets first solo I learn't same time I learn't the full thing which was 4-5 months ago.

Second solo I took a look at but was like, oh f**k that. Just didn't have the speed then. But as a matter of a fact i'm learning it right now and at my level its not a hard solo its just fast but its coming along really nicely at half speed, give it a few weeks of metronome practice and i'll be doing it full speed.

Cheers.
Quote by blue_strat
sweet child of mine is easy, kinda like hey joe or purple haze
iron man is piss easy
smoke on the water is alright, quite long so took me a few runs through to learn it but only about an hour
master of puppets; first one is easy enough to intermediate, second one i've tried and failed miserably

edit: o yeah i was playing about a year when i learnt SCOM, a bit more when i learnt the other two, and i've been playing 2 and a half years and haven't cracked the 2nd MoP solo!

hmm i dont see how someone could class sweet child o mine in the same area as hey joe or purple haze, sweet child of mine is just so much harder than those imo.

and also seems wierd that you cant play mop when you learnt scom after a year of playing. either you got good n the first year and whent down hill after that or i dunno just seems really really wierd.

or maybe you weakness in guitar is where im strong and my weakness is were your strong.
The Iron Man solo can be difficult for a beginner, but Sweet Child O Mine is probably the hardest of those. That fast run just before the key change is pretty difficult.

www.freelicks.net

Check it out for some video lessons on that solo and many others.
The time it took was pretty much equal to the time it took to memorize them. Granted, I'd been playing about six years at that point. When I first started, I tried to play Kissing the Shadows by Children of Bodom. It took me about two years.