CE49
631 IQ
It's my first gig this Saturday and me and my bandmates are stressing quite heavily about every little aspect.

What's worrying me at the moment is exactly what a sound check will entail. I want to make sure I know exactly what's going on as it's happening as to make sure I don't look stupid! So if anybody could give me an idea of what to expect I'd be very grateful!

There is a sound technician at the venue and I'm pretty sure we're all being mic'd up except for the drums.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by CE49 at Jan 23, 2007,
Guitar_Master92
UG Fanatic
1,093 IQ
Just make sure your good to go, the sound tech will explain it all.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
ZootCst
is a smoker
937 IQ
Don't worry about what you sound like out front, that's the sound guy's job. Listen to him during the sound check, he'll tell you what to do. He'll ask to hear each instrument and mic so that he can set the levels. So, everybody has to play for a few seconds by themselves when the sound guy asks them to. You'll have to yell "check" into your mics a few times. That should be about it if you have a decent sound guy.

If you know your songs, you'll do fine. Don't sweat the small stuff.
CE49
631 IQ
It sounds like I've got to just make sure I listen carefully to the sound guy then - that doesn't sound so bad!
That's one thing off my mind Thanks for posting you guys! It has put my mind at rest (for now :P)
Guitar_Master92
UG Fanatic
1,093 IQ
Quote by CE49
It sounds like I've got to just make sure I listen carefully to the sound guy then - that doesn't sound so bad!
That's one thing off my mind Thanks for posting you guys! It has put my mind at rest (for now :P)

Yep that's basically his job
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Dutch_Apples
UG's Career Advisor
1,354 IQ
One thing I can tell you is sometimes, the sound check takes place in front of the audience. I'm not a fan of this, but the sound guy (if he's professional) will tell the crowd that you are sound checking before you play. DO NOT feel like you have to perform during this sound check. It's what it is.... a sound check.. not a performance check.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
SinisterLefty
just another lefty
31 IQ
Another helpful tip is to not put all of your faith in the sound tech. If you are going through sound check and something doesnt sound right to you and you know how it SHOULD sound, make sure to let him know about it. I've seen some guys who have given us an amazing sound and I've worked with a few that I had to help walk through the process.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Quote by SinisterLefty
Another helpful tip is to not put all of your faith in the sound tech. If you are going through sound check and something doesnt sound right to you and you know how it SHOULD sound, make sure to let him know about it. I've seen some guys who have given us an amazing sound and I've worked with a few that I had to help walk through the process.

I completley agree. Sound guys are shaky IMO unless your friends with them. Usually at least around here we have to give the guy drugs to get a good sound. Just be like hey heres some coke make us sound good and we will sound great.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
GiantRaven
UG Spammer
1,301 IQ
Quote by Syn Harvest
I completley agree. Sound guys are shaky IMO unless your friends with them. Usually at least around here we have to give the guy drugs to get a good sound. Just be like hey heres some coke make us sound good and we will sound great.

Wow...that seems kinda low

I should learn how to do this kinda stuff myself
guitarfan93
is guitarfan93
1,690 IQ
Quote by Syn Harvest

i think i know what i wanna be when i grow up
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....