Well this is pretty much the same as the JVM thread but to do with the vox AC (50) CPH. A while back i made a thread askign about the AC series and was told it probably wouldnt suit me. Is this amp any different. I says it can do high gain, is that true? Any information on this amp would be nice. O yer and any one got any idea of cost?

thanks
Never heard of the AC50 CPH. AC50's were made a while back though.....are there new ones?

And Vox's aren't made for high gain.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i thought el84's had more gain than 34's?

EDIT: this is not related to the gain of the amp as a whole, just to the gain characteristics of the power tube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, but that could be the preamp, or there could be attenuating components bleeding some of the signal to ground. From what I hear, el84's (totally separate from whatever circuit they're in) have a lot of gain for a power tube.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^

I'm waiting until I try one, lol. There are a lot of new products out this year...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well do u guys have any rough idea of price for the 50 watt. It says its voxes highest gain amp to date. Personally i dont mind buying an overdrive pedal but being high gain isnt everything. I also play blues and rock and classic rock etc.

Looks decent to me

thanks
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought el84's had more gain than 34's?

EDIT: this is not related to the gain of the amp as a whole, just to the gain characteristics of the power tube.

Tubes don't have "gain" per se, but 34s have the potential to sound much better in high gain applications than the 84s, which tend to have ratty breakup and low headroom more suited to chimey clean/low-medium gain tones. That is not to say an EL84 amp can never be able to do metal, that is much more in the amp's design than the tubes it uses.
Quote by electrik
Tubes don't have "gain" per se, but 34s have the potential to sound much better in high gain applications than the 84s, which tend to have ratty breakup and low headroom more suited to chimey clean/low-medium gain tones. That is not to say an EL84 amp can never be able to do metal, that is much more in the amp's design than the tubes it uses.

Bullshit, tubes have an amplification factor.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Bullshit, tubes have an amplification factor.

But between different tube types, not different tubes of the same type, that has no relavence to what an amp can do gain wise. That's all in the preamp.
^ yeah, that's what I was saying all along. EL34's tend to work better with high gain than el84 (and 6L6 and stuff like that possibly more again), but that's (as far as I'm aware) more to do with how they interact with high pre-amp gain.

(sorry I was a bit harsh, I was in a rush and didn't have time to clarify what I meant)

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Now we have that sorted I'll go back to what i said

Well do u guys have any rough idea of price for the 50 watt. It says its voxes highest gain amp to date. Personally i dont mind buying an overdrive pedal but being high gain isnt everything. I also play blues and rock and classic rock etc.
Well, have you tried an AC30? They're DAMN loud amps, really. I reckon the 50 will be a bit overkill unless you're a serious gigger (and if you are, go for it)
Don't be afraid to care"

....What?

The Vox AC30....ever heard of it?
Don't be afraid to care"

^ i think he maybe meant you couldn't buy it in a lower wattage than 50.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ nope, I'm not sure if they're even out yet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The Postman

It's right there on the page I posted earlier.
Hahaha. Good call. I didn't read everything.
AC100CPH 100-Watt Head (4 x 12AX7/ECC83, 4 x EL34B) - $1,650.00; available now
AC50CPH 50-Watt Head (4 x 12AX7/ECC83, 2 x EL34B) - $1,450.00; available now
AC50CP2 50-Watt, 1 x 12" Combo - $1,750.00; available April 2007

That it is.
I'd want the combo...mmmhm. Vox combos just looks awesome.
i really don't see a vox doing high gain without some major od pedals.
But i dont' see why thier making more gainier things. I figured they were just adding more power for more headroom so that the amp doesn't get gainy with the volume up.