No longer buying
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Feb 8, 2007,
I'm sorry, but I have to say this.

You don't need a 100w tube amp. When watts in amps is converted to decibels, it takes 10 times the wattage for 2 times the decibels (volume).

Meaning 100w is only twice as loud as 10w. And to get double the volume of a 100w you would need a 1000w amp.

I would seriously consider looking at lower wattage amps. A 50w all tube is about 12% quieter than a 100w.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I've been told that about a million times now. I need a 100 watt.

Numbers aside, I played through a friends 60 watt Marshall [tube] head, and at 10 the guitar was barly over dums. A 100w head will mute drums at 5.

I do love 50-ish watt amps, because you can push the tubes at low volume, but for my application 50 watts isn't enough. 100 watts suits my needs perfectly, which is why I am buying one.

I do appreciate your help though :]
Last edited by chase312 at Feb 6, 2007,
i have a mexi telecaster, i don't know how much you want to spend but if you have any questions or want make an offer just PM me.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
99% sure i've found a guitar.

72 tele, within 30 miles.

Still looking for a head though :]
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
I've been told that about a million times now. I need a 100 watt.

Numbers aside, I played through a friends 60 watt Marshall [tube] head, and at 10 the guitar was barly over dums. A 100w head will drown out drums at 5.

I do love 50-ish watt amps, because you can push the tubes at low volume, but for my application 50 watts isn't enough. 100 watts suits my needs perfectly, which is why I am buying one.

I do appreciate your help though :]

Your drummer must be playing ****ing loud, ive got a 50 watt and at 4-5 it can be heard over drums, maybe your buddies head needed new tubes, or was a hybrid, i just dont see it being hard to hear a 50 watt tube amp through a 4x12 over drums.. it doesnt seem difficult..
I don't know, mabye. I'm going to go to guitar centre to check out a 50 watt and be sure of its volume, but i'm almost certian that 100 watt is more fitting to my needs.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
yeah dude. i've never even had my 50 watt all tube over 6 or 7 i think, and that hurt my effin ears. 4-5 is way louder than the drums.
Guitars
Fender Telecaster 72 deluxe reissue
BCRich Neckthru mockingbird w/ floyd
Franken Strat, that i built
Amp
Crate V50 5212
Drums
Mapex Pro M classic Sabian AA/Paiste 2002 cymbals Iron Cobra
I wish I could afford an Engl...

I'm in a tight spot, I can either go with a JCM 900/2000 and a 4x12, and still have money left over for my guitar, or spend all my stash on a Mesa or Engl head, not including cab + guitar..

I want a nicer head, but it's really hard to take the time to save up my cash. I wish I could take the Engl off your hands but i'm simply not rich enough :]... 15 years old, $600 a month.. No good :/
PM Gpderek09 to join!
If you can't hear a 60 watt all-tube head over the drummer, you either...

A; Have one mean-ass drummer
B; Need new power tubes
C; Bad cab
D; Had the master volume turned wayyy down

The only 60 watt marshall head i know of is the TSL60

What amp and cab was it?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by chase312
I wish I could afford an Engl...

I'm in a tight spot, I can either go with a JCM 900/2000 and a 4x12, and still have money left over for my guitar, or spend all my stash on a Mesa or Engl head, not including cab + guitar..

I want a nicer head, but it's really hard to take the time to save up my cash. I wish I could take the Engl off your hands but i'm simply not rich enough :]... 15 years old, $600 a month.. No good :/

Nah its cool just thought I'd offer. Good luck on your search and here's a free bump