Well I was thinking of getting a cheap 12 string.

My question is: Do they all come with steel strings?

And, Is it hard to do chords and stuff when you first get one?

Thanks in advance.
i wouldnt say "hard" but it will take a bit of getting used to. more like "uncomfortable" the first time you try it. but its worth it cause some songs just sound SO GOOD on 12 string.

idk about strings though, sorry
i played my buddys for the first time the other day and it was way easier than i expected but i played it for about an hour and i could pay it as good as a 6 string. but some songs do sound way nicer. my favorite thing is that you can strum randon chords and it sounds all heavenly and such.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Vintage
Digitech RP 100A
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Washburn D10S Deluxe (electric acoustic)
They usually some with steel strings. I don't think there have been any nylon 12 strings made since like the 60s or something, as I haven't seen any for sale recently, and I think some no name companies in the 60s and 70s used to make them. So yes, it will have steel strings. Also, you will get used to the feel of a 12 string quite quickly most probably. You'll have to get used to having higher action, as a 12 string is never going to play like an Ibanez Wizard neck... I absolutely love my 12 string, and chord work sounds amazing on them. Some individual string runs and such do too, such as "Alberta" (Clapton's version on Unplugged) and "Wish You Were Here" (Pink Floyd - check out the version from "Pulse" for a better idea of the 12 string sound in this song). It's a woderful instrument, and I love mine. I really want another 12 with a longer scale length so I can leave it tuned to open D (though dropped down to open C or B). It has a nice growl to it then, and can be used for slide and fingerpicking. listen to "Vaseline Machine Gun" and "Jack Fig" by Leo Kottke for an Lidea of what lengths the 12 string can go to. Who ever said you can't fingerpick on a 12 string?
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
^^Not anyone who's listened to John Butler, that's for sure!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Not entirely sure why you bumped this. Haven't your questions been asnwered?

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Fair enough. I say go for it.